Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I'm particularly asking you about places around the globe that you would have eagerly visited maybe 20 years ago as a tourist
Egypt

I'm fine staying right here in the US of A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 AM

638 posts, read 310,339 times
I'll go anywhere alone, but I'm not taking my kids back to the LA, Anaheim, or San Diego areas again until California remembers they're a state, and not a coastal country.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I had plans to visit Europe last summer but canceled after the wave of attacks. Turkey is also permanently off the list. I dont even want to visit big cities here like nyc, chicago, LA or a sanctuary city because of high crime rate. I like canada so thats the next safe place I guess. Australia, New Zealand are also good. Might visit UK after Brexit. Its not that I am paranoid or anything but its a way of protesting tourism to countries that make idiotic decisions. If they dont give a damn about their own people, why would they care about tourists so they dont deserve my money. I would rather stay home & buy a new tv to see the travel channel.
You should have went! I almost cancelled our Trip to Germany but we went through with it! 2 weeks. No big issues. Ran into a bunch of Americans. Had a good time. Even went back to europe 3 months later (eastern).. only place we awkward was Berlin but there was tourists everywhere there...

Old 12-28-2016, 11:40 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
I'll go anywhere alone, but I'm not taking my kids back to the LA, Anaheim, or San Diego areas again until California remembers they're a state, and not a coastal country.
My wife has been begging to go to California. I refuse to go to that state and spend a dime there until they turn their act around. I don't care. They can go on the list with Kellogs and a few other companies I don't buy.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
No desire to go to: sub-Saharan Africa, most of the Near East (before Syria was destroyed, the word was that it was the best place in the region to go), most of the stans due to a mix of high violence and radical Islam domination (cultural cleansing by Islam is its largest crime), Mexico until they end the domination of cartel violence, nor much of central America and the Caribbean due to the insanely high murder rates.

Like many, when younger I romanticized the undeveloped world. That phase is long gone. Give me civilization any day of the week.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm particularly asking you about places around the globe that you would have eagerly visited maybe 20 years ago as a tourist but now wouldn't go to if you were traveling alone or with one other person or with your spouse and kids? In other words, travel abroad but not with a tour group.
My list hasn't changed much. Admittedly, I might think a little longer about visiting Istanbul, but I'd still probably go, if I had the opportunity.

On the other hand, I'd be more likely to visit more US cities now, than I would have 20 years ago.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:33 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I've always wanted to visit the land of my ancestors, Sweden. But the rise of Islamic migrants there is a concern for me. Most of the country is still safe but theres areas I'll stay away from.
Nothing to worry about. Just stay away from shady suburbs in major cities.
Welcome!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
South Side of Chicago. Downtown Chicago is very nice though.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I've been to at least one dozen countries. I was 10 years old 20 years ago, and my grandparents took me to Europe, Japan, Singapore, and Turkey.

I loved Turkey, but I perhaps won't visit again today. Majority of my family members are in Germany, I don't have a problem staying in Germany. Beautiful culture and people.

Visiting Africa is my dream; I also like to visit Egypt one day (Egypt is a beautiful country according to my favorite author Agatha Christie ) No terrorists will stop me from living my life!

Old 12-29-2016, 10:58 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'm avoiding any city with a large hipster population.
How do hipsters present some kind of physical threat to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies