Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,459,580 times

Advertisements

This story is something... Movie's casting director fired over W.Va. references (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860755-100.stm?cmpid=news.xml - broken link)

Glad she got canned!!

All she needed to do was go to the White House and ask for some help.

Thoughts?

BGF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 AM

217 posts, read 877,325 times
I think the link doesn't work anymore.

But one of daughters is attending West Va. Univ. and she told me about it.

Basically they were calling on cast members who fit an inbred look, but they were specifically looking for residents of West Virginia only. The casting director was from California. The movie was to take place in Pittsburgh. Those are the sketchy details I know so far. I also heard the Governor wasn't happy about it either.

From what I've heard, the director was fired and the movie is no longer being made.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
I thought they already made "Deliverance". Hell, if they wanted the "look" of inbred hillbilliys they could find more in LA than West Virgina because ther are more people in LA. More hillbillys too.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,149,188 times
I offered but haven't heard back. I only hope I can get those patches sewed on my overalls before they call me back.

I realize this movie will and is having the same effect as the last movie filmed there called, "Wrong Turn", which I believe was about cannibal hill folks. Considering the subject matter Hollywood has made movies about, I see this whole issue as another example of political correctness gone awry.

Considering the growth my state is experiencing from yet another migration, I only wish they made that movie here.

Sheesh, must we really be shielded from all forms of ignorance, bad taste to the point our skins grow so thin we can't take a compliment?

To shield the world from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,683,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I offered but haven't heard back. I only hope I can get those patches sewed on my overalls before they call me back.

I realize this movie will and is having the same effect as the last movie filmed there called, "Wrong Turn", which I believe was about cannibal hill folks. Considering the subject matter Hollywood has made movies about, I see this whole issue as another example of political correctness gone awry.

Considering the growth my state is experiencing from yet another migration, I only wish they made that movie here.

Sheesh, must we really be shielded from all forms of ignorance, bad taste to the point our skins grow so thin we can't take a compliment?

To shield the world from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
I hate PC but I don't think this situation applies. This is a very directed assumption on a group of people.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
They may be "hillbillys" but they make some of the best whiskey in the world.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I hate PC but I don't think this situation applies. This is a very directed assumption on a group of people.
I think it does apply as some of the stereotypes are in fact based at least in part on some truth. I can think of more than one neighbor who, if they could find a way to make cornmeal stick to celery, they would fry it in lard. I know that if my porch were to collapse, I know of at least two hound dogs that will probably be injured. I am glad people think this way about me and my neighbors because it is one of the things that helps to preserve the beauty and rural nature of this most beautiful area. If idiots honestly think that cannibal hillbillies run through the forest eating tourist, then GREAT, I'll even help spread these idiotic rumors because people are basically stupid and will believe anything and I am going to use that to my advantage. If I am wrong in viewing it in this way, then I can live with it.

Yet at the same time I recently had some folks from Florida pull in my drive way with a look of terror on their faces as took a "wrong turn" and were lost. (I live about as back rural in Appalachia as one can get) They asked me for directions to a nearby development, to which I promptly whipped out my cell, pulled up google maps to show them the directions, then attempted to forward the info on to their phone, but since they had an older phone were unable to see it. (also printed them a color topo map from the house PC) Needless to say there were grateful and surprised that the man in the overalls would possess such fantastic futuristic gizmonics.

I chuckled to myself as I could see these people probably believe all those stereotypes about scary mountain folk who talk funny, etc... For me it was just another example of the amount of ignorance that people still hold such distorted beliefs and expectations.

It reminds me a lot of lawyer jokes that make attorney's out to be scum sucking bottom dwellers, and I am sure some are but most are not. Yet most of the attorney's I have ever know are the ones who enjoy these kinds of jokes most of all and likely for the same reasons that I enjoy seeing people with such closed minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They may be "hillbillys" but they make some of the best whiskey in the world.
You should try the hard cider and perry, it is every bit as good as the dew.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM

35,972 posts, read 30,501,110 times
Quote:
If idiots honestly think that cannibal hillbillies run through the forest eating tourist, then GREAT
Have you ever watched "redneck zombies from H ell"?LOL

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you ever watched "redneck zombies from H ell"?LOL
Not yet, but I think I may have to rent this one just for humor's sake. I need a bumper sticker that says, "Cannibal Hillbilly onboard".

Stereotypes abound in both with positive and negative connotations, we can't escape them. Think of how folks in Florida are often portrayed in movies as sun loving carefree folks often hanging out at the beach or wearing wide brimmed straw hats. Reality is that today many are transplants from places like NY, Ohio, Mich, living in neat little suburbs that look like a cornfield from the air and soon discover that asphalt has a liquid state 8 months of the year, to which they then sequester themselves to living in air conditioned homes that they rarely leave lest their flesh is burned off their bones by the relentless sun.

I love stereotypes, crack me up.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yet at the same time I recently had some folks from Florida pull in my drive way with a look of terror on their faces as took a "wrong turn" and were lost. (I live about as back rural in Appalachia as one can get) They asked me for directions to a nearby development, to which I promptly whipped out my cell, pulled up google maps to show them the directions, then attempted to forward the info on to their phone, but since they had an older phone were unable to see it. (also printed them a color topo map from the house PC) Needless to say there were grateful and surprised that the man in the overalls would possess such fantastic futuristic gizmonics.
This, folks, is why Tennessee is often called the "sophisicated hillbilly state".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies