Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM

51,583 posts, read 25,570,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The left hatred of businesses that don't bow down to their narrative deserve to be run out of business (with government help) where as a business that openly rejects shoppers for liberal reasons is somehow okay. This is flawed logic. .
Left does not hate business.

Geez Louise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,891,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Geez Louise.
They hate businesses that are independent and self sufficient. They despise business owners not needing government or wanting anything to do with it. They hate people like that as well, so it isn't a surprise.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 AM

289 posts, read 144,896 times
This is perfectly acceptable! As long as they aren't banning gay people or refusing to bake wedding cakes from them this is a good thing!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:46 AM

36,983 posts, read 40,996,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
That is absurd logic. If you force me to make a choice to the conditions that you allow for me, I am not free and you have infringed on my liberty. Your entire argument is built on dictating which liberties people may have.

You have no right to demand service from another. Ok so we can educate you on the fallacy of your posiiton, we are going to change one little thing to show you just how wrong you are.

Lets say you go to a store, and while you are there talking, the owner hears you and after seeing you, that owner then goes to you and says... I am sorry miss, but you are ugly and I don't allow ugly people in my store.

Now, were your rights violated? According to your sacred civil rights laws, they were not. You can now be kicked off the property and banned from ever entering it again.

Do you have a problem with that? Did you have a RIGHT to do business there? The law says you don't, in fact.. as long as the owner avoids using any of the "special" protections, they can ban anyone all day long from entering the store.

So, pay attention now, because here is the point. You claim the protections from the Civil Rights laws allowed people to have the "same rights" as others right? But... remember... nobody had a right to enter a business without the owners permission anyway, so... what "rights" did others have over these "special" little protected people?

You see, all that stupid law did was give special treatment to those conditions that NEVER had a right to demand business from the business owner anyway.

So go ahead, explain how it is ok to bar ugly people from entering a business, but not the protected classes? Do ugly people not have rights as well?

Your problem is that you don't understand what your actual rights even are.

Again, private property. You are saying that the state owns all businesses and if people don't want to be dictated to by the state, they can "choose" (your idea of freedom is absurd as telling someone they are free to either be killed or they are free to jump off the cliff) to not have a business.

Maybe a different country would be a better place for you because you don't seem to understand or respect how this one is supposed to work.
Your argument is an example of reductio ad absurdum, a logical fallacy. I am not the one who has a problem with logic.

Being ugly is not a protected class, because the people, through their elected representatives, have not chosen to make it so.

I grew up with segregation and through the Civil Rights era. The end of state supported racial discrimination made this country better. If your community says you will not discriminate against certain classes of people, you either serve them exactly the same way you serve everyone else or you serve no one. Running a business is a privilege that can be, and is, regulated in many ways, just as driving is a privilege.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM

16,951 posts, read 12,505,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
They hate businesses that are independent and self sufficient. They despise business owners not needing government or wanting anything to do with it. They hate people like that as well, so it isn't a surprise.
Good lord no they (mostly) dont.

I know some fairly liberal small business owners.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,004,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Geez Louise.
If you pick someone's partial statement then sure, your point of view always wins.

What you quoted me as saying is that liberals hate some businesses.... not all. Nice try

Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,877,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your argument is an example of reductio ad absurdum, a logical fallacy. I am not the one who has a problem with logic.

Being ugly is not a protected class, because the people, through their elected representatives, have not chosen to make it so.

I grew up with segregation and through the Civil Rights era. The end of state supported racial discrimination made this country better. If your community says you will not discriminate against certain classes of people, you either serve them exactly the same way you serve everyone else or you serve no one. Running a business is a privilege that can be, and is, regulated in many ways, just as driving is a privilege.
By your logic, every imaginable person who think they can be discriminated against should be forced to ban together and elect officials that get them onto the "protected class list". Until then discrimination is free game.

In other words, the only people who should be protected, are the one's who are privileged politically.

You can't have a society based on equality, then pick and choose who gets more protection than others. That's Nazi stuff.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,891,356 times
Quote:
Ok, since you seem to think you understand logic. Please show in PQ form how my argument meets your claim of such a fallacy. The beauty of logic is that it is mathematical, it follows a very clear and precise form to establish such. Since you decided to call a specific fallacy by name and associate it with my argument, you should find no problem properly putting it into form.

I am sure you will have no problems in this task. /wink

Quote:
You didn't pay attention. I asked you to, and you failed to do so. The point was that you claimed the law was giving people rights they did not have before, rights other classes had. I pointed out that no such thing existed, that those "other classes" had no more or less rights when it came to demanding a business serve them than any other. I showed you that the Civil rights act actually gave "special" rights that allows these "protected" classes the right to infringe on a business to which NOBODY had a right to do so before.

Pay attention next time. It helps with the discussion thing.

Quote:
I don't care if you grew up in an egg layed by the golden goose. It is irrelevant and it does not justify the act of society dictating to the individual who they must serve. It is slavery, it is liberty infringement and it is a violation of everything this country stands for. You seem to like democracies, where might makes right?

So.. tell me.. since you love majority rule, what happens if the majority decides to force you by law against something you do not want to do? will you be a good peasant and do as you are told, you know... because it was handed down by the royal decree? Or do you object? Can you? I mean, your own logic says... whatever everyone else decides is right and just, so... I guess you would be ok with anything right? As long as the majority deems it acceptable and passes it through the goobermint grinder to enforce it as law?

Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,981,687 times
He has now taken the sign down but said quote "it wasn't intended to insult people it was like a heads up ... thanks for the info man"
Really didn't insult anyone?
Business must be suffering and hopefully out of business will be his next sign.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM

51,583 posts, read 25,570,349 times
Quote:

Exactly.

Though I suspect the KKK contingency would disagree that the end of state supported racial discrimination made this country better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies