Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 10:19 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I can't write a review since I haven't eaten there or tried to for that matter... but I support that business owners can make their rules about who they can do business with.

I can't imagine that someone would be such a lowlife that they would review a place they don't have any first hand experience with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
So the left agrees that people should be able to pick and choose whom they serve. Interesting. How is this different from the Christian bakers in Oregon who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple's wedding and were ridiculously fined, their business obliterated.
Seems that if it's over Trump or a Christian belief than it's fair game; over any of their parrot points (LGBT, women, minorities...etc.) then there's absolutely no freedom. You will agree with the totalitarians or be crushed.

If this cafe had said "we refuse to serve Hillary supporters" all these people saying they support the business would turn into sharks against the business. Guaranteed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The way I understand it, you can insist people wear certain things -- jacket and tie, shoes, etc. But you have to apply that to everyone. You can't let a white person in without a tie and refuse admission to a black person.

The politically correct way, if there is one , is "No Trump Hats allowed." Or "No Trump talk permitted in this establishment."

Our neighbor said a local tavern has a new policy of not serving drinks to people who can be heard talking about Trump, either for or against. Says they get rowdy and things get ugly.

being a Trump (or ________) supporter is not a protected class

Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
So the left agrees that people should be able to pick and choose whom they serve. Interesting. How is this different from the Christian bakers in Oregon who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple's wedding and were ridiculously fined, their business obliterated.
In Oregon, sexual orientation is a protected class. I'm pretty sure "Trump voter" isn't a protected class in any state.

The Oregon baker admitted it was due to the sexual orientation of the couple that service was refused. That case was a slam-dunk. Don't like it? Don't open a business in Oregon, I guess.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:27 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
being a Trump (or ________) supporter is not a protected class
That's going to be sad news to some folks.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I agree, it is no different, the bakers should be able to follow their own beliefs, just as this restaurant should. It is probably a dumb move on the part of the restaurant, but I feel any business should be able to say "no" to any customer they do not feel right serving.
I agree.

Quote:
Obviously, the restaurant has no way of knowing who voted for Trump and who did not, so the sign is simply a statement they are making. Last I knew, Hawaii is part of America, so they still have the right to their opinions.
Yep.

Both you and OldHag pointed this out on this page, and I'm surprised someone didn't make this point on the first page of posts...

....What would the owner do....refuse to serve people donning a MAGA hat ?

I decided to read the link.

The owner's wife said "We don't want to create trouble" .

Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I can't write a review since I haven't eaten there or tried to for that matter... but I support that business owners can make their rules about who they can do business with.

I can't imagine that someone would be such a lowlife that they would review a place they don't have any first hand experience with.
But it's ok to deny the services of a public eating establishment, and attack a group of people they don't even know based on differences in their political perspectives?

I can't imagine what the purpose of such nonsense on the part of the owners might be, other than just letting it be known that they want in on the lefty "popular kid" bandwagon determined to let those other "meanies"know they are not happy with the results of the election. I doubt seriously that they have someone at the door requiring customers to show their voter's registration card, or asking about who they voted for and administering polygraphs to make sure, so I'd guess they are working on the honor system (as though these lefty crybabies had any concept of honor, LOL) to keep out the "deplorables".

Doesn't matter to me, I don't live there and never plan to visit there, but IMO it's just more silliness on the part of the sore losers.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Calling people who voted for Trump nazis is an obscene insult to the millions of people who were actually raped, enslaved and genocided from 1939 to 1945.

It also shows how little they know about Trump or the Nazis.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
this shouldn't really hurt the business owner too much, Hawaii is a very blue state.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's a private business, so I have no problem with this just like I have no problem with a restaurant that says no blacks on the entrance.

Capitalism has a way of punishing idiots like this regardless of how good their product is.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
While I seriously think this is wrong, I can't help but chuckle a bit at the people getting a taste of their own medicine. I bet many of these Trump supporters cried about the bakers being forced to make a cake for a gay couple or how Kim Davis's freedoms were trampled upon when she got in trouble for refusing marriage licenses to gay people.

I sincerely hope the reverse discrimination Trump supporters are being subjected to teaches them a lesson. Its not so fun to be turned away, is it?
I didn't vote for Trump, but Trump voters aren't really getting a taste of their own medicine, nor are they being subjected to reverse discrimination.......unless you consider not being able to wear a Trump hat, etc. and verbally promote Trump as such. If customers of such businesses dress sans such promotion, and don't talk about Trump, they'll still receive the product they desire without anyone being the wiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies