Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So now it's guns on planes so someone can basically just pick people off until the plane lands or crashes?
Typical gun controller hysteria. There used to be a time were guns were allowed on planes. No such incident ever happened. Besides, even if it was to happen there's just as likely of a chance of an armed law abiding citizen preventing it from going any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:01 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Are you in favor of eliminating the TSA? If not, what are your reasons for keeping this intrusive government agency in place? I'm mainly directing this to the ones who are strong supporters of the Second Amendment. I personally believe that as an American citizen, I should have every right to protect myself, and that includes carrying a weapon in my car, or on a plane if I so choose ... especially since I'm not on any so called terrorist watch lists, and I don't have a criminal record.

Why would anybody who supports gun rights be supportive of the TSA which bans anybody from carrying weapons on an airline? For that matter, why would anybody who cherishes the Bill of Rights be in favor of keeping the TSA, or lower themselves to be subjected to their unwarranted searches & seizures (a violation of the Fourth Amendment as well)?!

The TSA has not stopped any terrorists, nor has it prevented any terrorist attacks (domestic or otherwise). On the other hand, it has inconvenienced many travelers, confiscated people's personal items, harassed law abiding citizens, forced people to be embarrassingly strip searched, etc. All this while costing the taxpayers BILLIONS of dollars. What a useless, wasteful government bureaucracy this is!
Mixing the question of the TSA existence with a right to carry on a commercial flight seems like two disparate issues.
The TSA is not in charge of making that decision, so their existence is irrelevant to the firearm question.

Should the TSA be abolished?

Probably, but I'd need to study the issue more before giving a definitive opinion.

Should passengers be allowed to carry firearms (presumably loaded based on your OP) on a plane?

No

However it does remind me of a funny skit on All In The Family;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDb0Dn8OXE

Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I am not sure how eliminating TSA became a second amendment issue. You can eliminate TSA for a thousand reasons, none are related to guns on board. 9/11 hijackers didn't have guns. I love to go back to the 50s when you could walk on the tarmac , board the plane and say farewell to your travelers then get off! I am not holding my breath.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Typical gun controller hysteria. There used to be a time were guns were allowed on planes. No such incident ever happened. Besides, even if it was to happen there's just as likely of a chance of an armed law abiding citizen preventing it from going any further.
Because shooting in a pressurized cabin is always a good idea.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yes.

As for carrying on a plane. That too. What's the difference between a plane and elsewhere in public? Nothing, not one thing.
Wow,,, you need to put some thought into your opinions before posting.

Being locked in a pressurized tube going 500 MPH at 30k feet is not like being elsewhere in public. For starters, you obviously cannot flee if some loon/s goes postal.
One errant shot can put every passenger in jeopardy of losing their lives.
There is no one to call for assistance in the event of an escalating altercation. If someone were to get hurt, emergency medical care is not available either.
Need I give further examples of the differences, or will that be enough for you to reconsider your notion?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow,,, you need to put some thought into your opinions before posting.

Being locked in a pressurized tube going 500 MPH at 30k feet is not like being elsewhere in public. For starters, you obviously cannot flee if some loon/s goes postal.
One errant shot can put every passenger in jeopardy of losing their lives.
There is no one to call for assistance in the event of an escalating altercation. If someone were to get hurt, emergency medical care is not available either.
Need I give further examples of the differences, or will that be enough for you to reconsider your notion?
All it takes is one suicidal guy that wants to make a name for himself. If you're on the ground, you at least have a chance but in the air, pretty much no chance.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because shooting in a pressurized cabin is always a good idea.
A myth that's only half true.

How Dangerous Is It To Fire A Gun On A Plane, And What Would Happen? – Concealed Nation

What if someone shot a gun on an airplane? | HowStuffWorks

Old 01-07-2017, 05:23 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
The recent shooting rampage at the Ft. Lauderdale airport is yet another reason to eliminate the TSA. While the fine TSA folks were busy screening, inconveniencing, and harassing passengers, right behind their backs was this maniac grabbing a gun out of his bag, loading it in a restroom, and shooting at innocent people. What did the TSA do to stop this incident? Nothing as usual.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I fly my own plane so I don't care what happens to TSA.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
If the TSA is dissolved, anyone can carry a bomb on board the plane. If everyone is permitted to carry guns aboard, what good will that do when the bomb explodes mid-air?

It appears to me that flyers are pretty well @#$%ed whether TSA dies or survives.

I'm pro-second amendment, but not real comfortable with the thought of any and all passengers carrying pistols on an airplane. Maybe if there was a special training program an individual had to go through to attain that privilege? That would prove they've actually practiced and become proficient with firing their weapon. I know too many gun-owners who stick a loaded gun in their purse or waist band, yet never go to the firing range to practice. I consider them terrorists in their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies