Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
All female uniforms are the same. All male uniforms are the same.

So still don't know what your point is.
Intentionally choosing to ignore why there are female and male uniforms?
Why were those allowances made?

They didn't have to be.
Women could have always just as easily worn pants just like their male counterparts.

Point is, if allowances can be made, allowances can be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks, I edited my post because I saw that poster obviously does not live or work in NYC, as she is in CA.
Well, so what?

Uniform dress code is there for a reason. That is the ONLY point I am making anyway. Doesn't matter where I live.

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Actually it is you who is "too policially correct" to not allow whatever someone wants to wear. Guess what? Who cares?
There's a reason why uniforms are called uniforms

Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Point is, if allowances can be made, allowances can be made.
okay, you actually got a point here.

For me, it is not necessary because dress code is there for a reason, and a dress code is not a violation of one's religious practice. But I can only speak for myself anyway.

I don't think anybody should agree with me, nor do I believe I am right. Just here to join the discussion. That is all.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
...Let's not pretend dress code is a violation of one's religious practice.

It's already been pointed out to you, multiple times, how it IS a violation of some folks' religious practices.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It's already been pointed out to you, multiple times, how it IS a violation of some folks' religious practices.
well, that is your opinion.

agree to disagree.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Well, so what?

Uniform dress code is there for a reason. That is the ONLY point I am making anyway. Doesn't matter where I live.
Agree. That's why I removed the sentence, because it didn't make sense.

And I also agree that uniform dress code is there for a reason. But it shouldn't be so unbendable if the code proves exclusionary to people who would be an asset to the job but cannot change their appearance for cultural/religious reasons. It's not like a Jew can put aside being a Jew while he's at work and just resume being a Jew after he punches out. Doesn't work that way. It's their entire identity.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The opposite of how you think it works, evidently. The 1st Amendment PREVENTS people from needing to abandon their religious beliefs. There is lots and lots of legal precedent for this. It's also why politicians are allowed to constantly reference their faith when they speak, too.

Some relevant cases are Goldman v. Weinberger and Sherbert v. Verner. I'm certain there are others, too.
The First Amendment prevents Congress from establishing a religion or preventing the free exercise of religion. Congress is not establishing a religion here. Congress is not saying that Sikhs can't go and exercise their religion while not at work. This has nothing to do with religious freedom. If you want to work a certain job then you need to do your job, regardless of what your "religion" tells you to do. Even if we accept that the First Amendment is in play here at all, there are limits and rules for all Constitutional rights. If you do not want to put on a uniform for whatever reason, then don't be a police officer.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,509 times
The comments on this thread are telling.....

Old 12-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree. That's why I removed the sentence, because it didn't make sense.

And I also agree that uniform dress code is there for a reason. But it shouldn't be so unbendable if the code proves exclusionary to people who would be an asset to the job but cannot change their appearance for cultural/religious reasons. It's not like a Jew can put aside being a Jew while he's at work and just resume being a Jew after he punches out. Doesn't work that way. It's their entire identity.
I agree with you. Like I said, I've never said I am 100% right about this. I just believe in keeping things simple. That is all.

It is just ME. Keep it simple. One rule for all, or no rule at all. Should rule be bendable? I guess it is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies