Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The very large difference being that, for good or ill, religious belief is protected in this country whereas others are not.
Indeed. There are no secular countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Indeed. There are no secular countries.

We're getting closer and closer every day. Freedom of religion applies to atheists like me, too. In this country I'm free to pray or not, as I see fit. Maybe that's why I think it's a good thing? Much better than Shariah Law or another Inquisition....

Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
We're getting closer and closer every day. Freedom of religion applies to atheists like me, too. In this country I'm free to pray or not, as I see fit. Maybe that's why I think it's a good thing? Much better than Shariah Law or another Inquisition....
So you agree that atheist cops should be able to wear a " I'm an atheist" cap, instead of the regulation issue one?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:17 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
So you agree that atheist cops should be able to wear a " I'm an atheist" cap, instead of regulation issue one?

Uh, no, because atheism isn't a religion and has no tenets that require following. All it requires is a lack of belief in gods.

The freedom of religion prevents atheist cops from being forced to wear turbans or yarmulkes, though. Which I think is a good thing.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
easier for terrorists to mimic a cop
Nope. Easier for terrorists to mimic cops who don't wear turbans, beards, etc.

Because everyone will be giving the side eye to the ACTUAL cops who are dressed in turbans, beards, etc.

You know these guys hide in plain sight, no?

Well, you then know that they won't want extra attention by LOOKING unusual.

Maybe if this style of dress for NYPD looks normal one day, it would be different.

I am glad that these cops can dress in a way that identifies them as safe to members of the Muslim community. Easier for them to get info about people who are NOT law abiding citizens if the general Muslim population trusts them.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
So you agree that atheist cops should be able to wear a " I'm an atheist" cap, instead of the regulation issue one?
Nope. But, I think everyone is fine with Christian cops wearing a cross necklace or Jewish cops wearing a Star of David, etc.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Uh, no, because atheism isn't a religion and has no tenets that require following. All it requires is a lack of belief in gods.

The freedom of religion prevents atheist cops from being forced to wear turbans or yarmulkes, though. Which I think is a good thing.

What I think it shows, is that freedom of religion isn't about the right to belief, rather it's the right to show that one belongs to a club -nothing else.

Freedom on religion is inherently unjust, because it categorises subjective belief. Believe in a middle eye -get a special hat. Believe that Totalitarianism is the way forward for humanity - no special hat.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-03-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hijabs very soon

Too much PC crap...Stop all special accommodations

When the door is open all will come through....
NYPD Now Allows Cops to Wear Religious Beards and Turbans

Oh my! We're doomed. A uniform accommodation to a small number of Sikhs on the NYC police force. The nation is doomed. Oh the horror.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nope. But, I think everyone is fine with Christian cops wearing a cross necklace or Jewish cops wearing a Star of David, etc.
Yep, because this isn't about the freedom to belief, but about tradition.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hijabs very soon

Too much PC crap...Stop all special accommodations

When the door is open all will come through....
NYPD Now Allows Cops to Wear Religious Beards and Turbans

Let's just give them more military weapons and training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies