Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats not my impression after talking to some social darwinists. Their motivations are generally that they dont believe they will need it themselves. They are often healthy individuals, not necessarily wealthy at all, who simply cant fathom what horrors can strike them and their family without any safety net. As soon as their first severely disabled child is born and when they go blind, they tend to soften up and see another perspective of life. Societies will always have a certain group clinging to social darwinism, its just that in America it is heavily funded by a few ultra rich donors as part of a broader propaganda effort.
I totally agree with this. That's why if Medicaid becomes a block grant to states, I want states to be able to implement a minimum five year period before anyone can qualify. Blue states should not have to take care of red state refugees when they find out they do need that safety net and their red state was of no use to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM

736 posts, read 353,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Would you be okay with Americans dying of starvation? Hoovervilles? Street children? These are the effects of an unfettered free market and no governmental social safety net. You can see it all over the developing world. I know many of you favor illuminating programs that "make people dependent on the government", but are you aware of the real consequences, and are you prepared to live with them?
I have no problem with Americans dying of starvation, Hoovervilles, or street children. The current safety nets should have a short period like one or two years at most, then all benefits should be eliminated. Safety nets should be used as a way to get a person back on their feet not a free ride for over a decade. I have an aunt that was on welfare for 18 years. She never tried to improve her situation and now that she can't have children and never remarried is homeless. She was on welfare for 18 years with many of our family helping her by providing her with a reduced priced room to rent.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Would you be okay with Americans dying of starvation? Hoovervilles? Street children? These are the effects of an unfettered free market and no governmental social safety net. You can see it all over the developing world. I know many of you favor illuminating programs that "make people dependent on the government", but are you aware of the real consequences, and are you prepared to live with them?
Yes I am. You can feed the starving if you care which I highly doubt the people who scream about starving children the loudest really do.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Do you honestly think charities could take care of our entire elderly, poor, and sick population? If you do then I want some of whatever it is you're smoking because that's some good s**t...
Government exists to provide public services and ensure public safety--it is NOT the business of government to provide charity. "Funds extracted from taxpayers, dispensed by bureaucrats, under rules and conditions designed by other bureaucrats, remove personal responsibility from both the giving and receiving ends of the equation. In addition to waste, unintended consequences of this social engineering has produced government dependence, family breakdown, and removal of the sense on the part of recipients that they bear responsibility for their own lives." Government Should Get Out of the 'Charity' Business

I remember Marilyn vos Savant advising a charity-minded reader to minimize her taxes, and instead donate to private charities. It doesn't take a genius to recognize that Big Government feeds itself and the upper class first, and the public last. “ Government spends about 70% of tax dollars to get 30% of tax dollars to the poor. The private sector does the opposite, spending about 30% or less to get 70% of aid to the poor...
[Government] income redistribution agencies are estimated to absorb about two-thirds of each dollar budgeted to them in overhead costs, and in some cases as much as three-quarters of each dollar..." https://www.theadvocates.org/effecti...ivate-charity/

If our bloated Big Government didn't confiscate 31.5% of the working class's income, there would be a lot of discretionary income to be donated to worthwhile and efficient charities--as well as saving for our own retirements. Instead, we lose huge chunks of our paychecks to a system that is far too large for any oversight; a system that consolidates wealth where only the ultra-rich can feed off of it, and is so far beyond fiscally irresponsible that it leaves nothing but crippling debt for future generations. Why does Washington spend $4 trillion dollars a year, when virtually all the "services" necessary for modern life are provided at the local/State level (schools, roads, police, fire protection, solid waste)? The only thing federal government really should be doing is protecting the borders and regulating trade to protect American workers and businesses--neither of which is actually does today.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
We have 95 million Americans of working age who are not in the workforce.
Which includes students, the elderly, people who earn their money through investments or have sources of income other than a salaried job, but that's ok..just keep throwing that number out one of these days someone will read your post and believe that it has some kind of relevance.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
I have no problem with Americans dying of starvation, Hoovervilles, or street children. The current safety nets should have a short period like one or two years at most, then all benefits should be eliminated. Safety nets should be used as a way to get a person back on their feet not a free ride for over a decade. I have an aunt that was on welfare for 18 years. She never tried to improve her situation and now that she can't have children and never remarried is homeless. She was on welfare for 18 years with many of our family helping her by providing her with a reduced priced room to rent.
welfare is temporary, the federal limit is 60 months but many states impose lower limits like 12 or 24 months.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I totally agree with this. That's why if Medicaid becomes a block grant to states, I want states to be able to implement a minimum five year period before anyone can qualify. Blue states should not have to take care of red state refugees when they find out they do need that safety net and their red state was of no use to them.
Huh? You want people to go without healthcare for five years until they qualify? What is that about, is that your requisite period of contrition before you feel they are 'entitled' to see a doctor? Block grants are a horrible idea because they do not increase when expenses do.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? You want people to go without healthcare for five years until they qualify? What is that about, is that your requisite period of contrition before you feel they are 'entitled' to see a doctor? Block grants are a horrible idea because they do not increase when expenses do.
Its probably necessary in order to protect blue states from a pure race-to-the-bottom social darwinist agenda pushed by states like Oklahoma that will be takers on an extreme scale, chasing out every sick person and trying to attract only the healthy ones from other states.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Just the massive increase in crime alone is enough to eat up any "savings" from the social darwinist "taxes are theft" agenda.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its probably necessary in order to protect blue states from a pure race-to-the-bottom social darwinist agenda pushed by states like Oklahoma that will be takers on an extreme scale, chasing out every sick person and trying to attract only the healthy ones from other states.
Ok, I get the point now. But I think putting time limits on federal benefits for people moving in from other states would be unconstitutional. What we should do is send the bills to Oklahoma for five years =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies