Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

So I read through the three pages of the report dedicated to the actual hacking... and there were only three out of the 13 pages. Two things are concrete.

• At least one targeted individual activated links to malware hosted on operational infrastructure of opened attachments containing malware.
  • In spring 2016, APT28 compromised the same political party, again via targeted spearphishing. This time, the spearphishing email tricked recipients into changing their passwords through a fake webmail domain hosted on APT28 operational infrastructure.

The underlined above highlights the fact that multiple people were fooled into open links/attachments from unknown sources.

In today's world, this seems like common sense for people who use computers regularly. Don't open email links and attachments from people you don't know.

Right now, God only knows who the perpetrators are... but we send the government goo-gobs of money. Train your people on email security.

And if we willing to make a statement and put Russians out of the country... the people who opened these links/attachments in their email should be put out of the government as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 06:30 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
With the absence of verifiable truth doesn't this make the government of o guilty of promoting FAKE news?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
People who wanted HC to win are profoundly disappointed. That can be a tough emotion to handle especially when you have millions who share your viewpoint. So, along comes Russia, or Assange or Comey who serves as a patsy to explain the unfairness of it all. Folks there is nothing to see here. Not a whit. This hacking goes on everyday from all countries.

The interesting part is that with a 22 days left in his miserably failed legacy, the big O is stirring this up to the point now of Russia retaliating. I don't like the man but even I would not have predicted that he would turn into a world stage petite bete (child) and attempt to provoke the big bear. It's silly, unnecessary and equally incorrect to leave the mess to the new incoming guy and his team. So be it.

Those who think the O is the big C are not surprised. (cheese). The point is that HE thinks that he is. So he pokes the bear once, maybe twice and sees what goes down. hint: bears don't like to be poked.

Its a sad lesson (back to disappointment) that if you can't keep your sh.. together for others, you probably should not have a lot of responsibility.

21 days.
I don't think you should keep hounding the "it's all because Hillary lost" meme that never stops.

There will always be a losing side in an election and, within a week or two, most people moved beyond the initial sting. Granted, there's always a few nutjobs who can't--we see that here with Obama, but nevertheless, Hillary's loss is actually off my radar. I was never "in love" with Hillary but basically did not want Trump to win as I think there's something horribly wrong with the man. Again, let's put that aside. This issue is not about Hillary or Donald. I am not even THINKING about those two in this issue.

Yes, countries try to spy all the time. We know this. Oftentimes they are successful. I think it's important to publicly uphold the integrity of our election process and investigate any foreign "interests" that might be involved in this process and expose it to the American people. I think it's important to let the offenders know that we are not okay with it. That's what is going on here. Not sure why you have such a problem with this.

And yes, 21 days. I, for one, cannot wait. I think this transition with Donald has been a disaster because he cannot follow the etiquette every other President before him has. I just want it to be all his. I can't wait until he actually *has* to hear all the info out there, stuff we can never know about, so we can see how he finally behaves when the job is his.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:45 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
With the absence of verifiable truth doesn't this make the government of o guilty of promoting FAKE news?

If you chose to never believe anything any more or just what you want or only things you like then that is not on the goverment that is your own paranoia.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:55 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Julian Assange of Wikileaks has stated to Sean Hannity on a few occasions that Russia or any Russian was NOT the source of revealing Podesta email.
Democrats keep repeating fake news that 17 intell agencies have proof that Russia did it. First- why is there 17 intell agencies and second, I want to see all 17 heads of those agencies to show proof of what was 'hacked' and swear that it is legit.

I recognize that Wikipedia isn't a reliable "source", but I think in this case it works.

Quote:
The United States Intelligence Community (IC) is a federation of 16 separate United States government agencies that work separately and together to conduct intelligence activities considered necessary for the conduct of foreign relations and national security of the United States. Member organizations of the IC include intelligence agencies, military intelligence, and civilian intelligence and analysis offices within federal executive departments. The IC is headed by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), who reports to the President of the United States.

These are the agencies:

Twenty-Fifth Air Force
Intelligence and Security Command
Central Intelligence Agency
Coast Guard Intelligence
Defense Intelligence Agency
Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence
Office of Intelligence and Analysis
Bureau of Intelligence and Research
Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
Office of National Security Intelligence
Intelligence Branch FBI
Marine Corps Intelligence Activity
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
National Reconnaissance Office
National Security Agency/Central Security Service
Office of Naval Intelligence

A few weeks ago I'd read that not all "17" agencies agreed on the hacking evidence. It was only the FBI and CIA who sent out that memo under the header of the DNI. That could have changed by now, I suppose

Old 12-30-2016, 07:04 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well ask the intelligence agencies to invite you to the next briefing to congress, better yet just ask them to email you the report. What exactly would convince you, are you an expert in cyber crimes?

FBI, DHS release report on Russia hacking | TheHill
I made a simple statement, I have an opinion, do you need some crayons?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
People who wanted HC to win are profoundly disappointed. That can be a tough emotion to handle especially when you have millions who share your viewpoint. So, along comes Russia, or Assange or Comey who serves as a patsy to explain the unfairness of it all. Folks there is nothing to see here. Not a whit. This hacking goes on everyday from all countries.

The interesting part is that with a 22 days left in his miserably failed legacy, the big O is stirring this up to the point now of Russia retaliating. I don't like the man but even I would not have predicted that he would turn into a world stage petite bete (child) and attempt to provoke the big bear. It's silly, unnecessary and equally incorrect to leave the mess to the new incoming guy and his team. So be it.

Those who think the O is the big C are not surprised. (cheese). The point is that HE thinks that he is. So he pokes the bear once, maybe twice and sees what goes down. hint: bears don't like to be poked.

Its a sad lesson (back to disappointment) that if you can't keep your sh.. together for others, you probably should not have a lot of responsibility.

21 days.

We hack. They hack. Everyone hacks.

Remember a few years ago when it was revealed that the US hacked Angela Merkel's Blackberry? Ms. Merkel was not pleased.

Were the shoe on the other foot and hacking or leaks had revealed that the RNC and/or Donald Trump had done what Democrat operatives did, bet the farm the emphasis would be on WHAT was revealed and not WHO revealed it. All of what we have seen the past few months is a very dangerous political dance aimed at damage control, survival of the Democratic Party (and Hillary Clinton) and protection of "the Obama legacy".

People just better hope that Putin keeps his cool.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I recognize that Wikipedia isn't a reliable "source", but I think in this case it works.

These are the agencies:

Twenty-Fifth Air Force
Intelligence and Security Command
Central Intelligence Agency
Coast Guard Intelligence
Defense Intelligence Agency
Office of Intelligence and Counterintelligence
Office of Intelligence and Analysis
Bureau of Intelligence and Research
Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
Office of National Security Intelligence
Intelligence Branch FBI
Marine Corps Intelligence Activity
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
National Reconnaissance Office
National Security Agency/Central Security Service
Office of Naval Intelligence

A few weeks ago I'd read that not all "17" agencies agreed on the hacking evidence. It was only the FBI and CIA who sent out that memo under the header of the DNI. That could have changed by now, I suppose
I have never heard of an instance where Wikileaks was accused of putting out fake leaks or lying about anything surrounding its activities. Their purpose for existing is to reveal lies of governments including the United States.

In fact Wikileaks mission statement:

We provide an innovative, secure and anonymous way for sources to leak information to our journalists.

Regarding the 17 agencies. I think the Obama administration sent the fake leaks to WAPO making it appear that the government had proof the Russians were trying to help Trump. There was never such a report out there just made up lies to make Trump look bad. The actual report says nothing new except that the people at DNC and Podestas office are horrible at cyber security.

Hopefully this puts an end to all the post election nonsense and we can get onto the next four years.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Regarding the 17 agencies. I think the Obama administration sent the fake leaks to WAPO making it appear that the government had proof the Russians were trying to help Trump. There was never such a report out there just made up lies to make Trump look bad. The actual report says nothing new except that the people at DNC and Podestas office are horrible at cyber security.

You know, I had thought of that possibility. Not necessarily that the Obama Admin did it, but that someone who is a hacker for the US who maybe had a grudge, could have easily made it all look like Russian "hacking".

I'm tired of the media calling it hacking. It's not really hacking if someone sends a phishing or spam email and some idiot (with no firewall or other email security system) clicks a link thereby sending all kinds of data to the interwebs for someone to get.

While I can certainly understand the concern for Russian hacking, it is considered "normal" in today's society. The US needs to beef up it's security and actually USE said security. If these securities are in place then half of the hacking can be detected before it even occurs. But when those security protocols are eschewed, well...we see what happens.

But, more concerning to me, is that people believe it was the hacking that caused the election interference when it was the INFORMATION that was released that caused the problems. None of that information was found to be erroneous.

And yes, I'm sure that had the RNC had info released, it could have been just as damaging. Or maybe not...it's not as if the RNC was fully backing our President Elect.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
You know, I had thought of that possibility. Not necessarily that the Obama Admin did it, but that someone who is a hacker for the US who maybe had a grudge, could have easily made it all look like Russian "hacking".

I'm tired of the media calling it hacking. It's not really hacking if someone sends a phishing or spam email and some idiot (with no firewall or other email security system) clicks a link thereby sending all kinds of data to the interwebs for someone to get.

While I can certainly understand the concern for Russian hacking, it is considered "normal" in today's society. The US needs to beef up it's security and actually USE said security. If these securities are in place then half of the hacking can be detected before it even occurs. But when those security protocols are eschewed, well...we see what happens.

But, more concerning to me, is that people believe it was the hacking that caused the election interference when it was the INFORMATION that was released that caused the problems. None of that information was found to be erroneous.

And yes, I'm sure that had the RNC had info released, it could have been just as damaging. Or maybe not...it's not as if the RNC was fully backing our President Elect.
Thank you for spelling that out correctly. Hacking does not involve the necessity of a goofus clicking on anonymous email links.

Hacking is what the DHS attempted to do to the Georgia voter database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies