Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Because its more important then the crumbling economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
Quote:
Because its more important then the crumbling economy.
But don't healthy people affect the economy positively?
Less healthcare costs, people are generally able to work and function longer in society and more of such things?

Originally Posted by twojciac
Quote:
You wouldn't stop to take a splinter out of your child's hand if their arm has been cut off, would you?
Being against steroids is compared to chopping off someone's arm?
Or are you simply saying that not having (any) laws is good?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Diversion from somewhat more difficult problems like WAR, economic decline and such like.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 AM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The discussion isn't around if steroids in baseball sets a bad example for our youth, it's about the role of the federal government. The Congress continues to overreach with its power, and beyond that it is spending time and money on an issue that in comparison to the other issues at hand is absolutely unforgivable. You wouldn't stop to take a splinter out of your child's hand if their arm has been cut off, would you?

I'm 200% with twojciac, i'm actually glad they are now treating Clemens like Bonds, because I'm starting to notice a lot of post come out about how wrong it is(It should have been that way from the start of the Bonds case btw). Finally, people are waking up and coming to their senses about how silly it is that the federal government is attempting to send sports figures to jail. Congress has no business regulating baseball. If the fans are so pissed about the steroids, then the fans will choose not to go to games. Let the market take care of the problem. Clearly fans while publicly are saying one thing are really not all that pissed off about the steroid issue or baseball staduims would have lower attendance numbers.

Let the people decide the fate of baseball. Congress does not need to interven on behalf of the people. Baseball is a business and is driven by consumers when consumers finally get sick of this crap and stop going to games baseball will regulate itself or go out of business. The Federal Government does not step in and hold congressional hearings for investment bankers at Goldman Sachs that do cocaine on the weekends, so why are they holding hearings for baseball players that do steroids? These are both consumer driven businesses and if the small group of illegal drug users within these companies were hurting the overall businesses consumers would take their dollars else where. The same way Goldman Sachs regulates its drug users is the same way baseball should regulate theirs, we do not need more government getting involved in these matters.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by truthhurts
Quote:
Finally, people are waking up and coming to their senses about how silly it is that the federal government is attempting to send sports figures to jail.
I agree, banning them for life (or either a long period) from their sports should be enough. They only violated a sports code and the right message would be send to everyone.
Like when they did with the athlete Ben Johnson in the 1987 world record sprint; taking away his record and Olympic title was punishment enough.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I don't get,, Congress is all worried about steroids in Baseball??? Who cares?? What business of thiers is it?? What does it have to do with running this country??
Seems like with all the problems we are having, baseball should be pretty far down the list.........

For the same reason Obama's middle name is discussed...stupidity.

No one gives a rat's as but it helps to divert from REAL ISSUES!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
True......but by going out and voting, you have given them what they want.
Oh don't get me started on this. I don't think there should be any lifetime politicians. Put a term limit for every Senator and Congressman, just like the President.

I agree some of these Senators who think they are above the law, need to be voted out.

While I do think it is wrong and it does obviously set a bad example for kids (I have a young boy and girl) the government needs to keep it's nose out of it.

And steroids do break more than just a rule in baseball, it breaks the law as well. Steroids are illegal. Just have them arrested and let the courts sort it out, not Washington.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
I always wonder what else the House or Senate is up to when this sort of stuff makes its way into the news.

The house didn't do anything yesterday but rename post offices. Here's what the senate was up to:

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote Summary - 110th Congress, 2nd Session

H.R.3221
Title: Moving the United States toward greater energy independence and security, developing innovative new technologies, reducing carbon emissions, creating green jobs, protecting consumers, increasing clean renewable energy production, and modernizing our energy infrastructure, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax incentives for the production of renewable energy and energy conservation.

Nothing mind-blowing...

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Oh don't get me started on this. I don't think there should be any lifetime politicians. Put a term limit for every Senator and Congressman, just like the President.

I agree some of these Senators who think they are above the law, need to be voted out.

While I do think it is wrong and it does obviously set a bad example for kids (I have a young boy and girl) the government needs to keep it's nose out of it.

And steroids do break more than just a rule in baseball, it breaks the law as well. Steroids are illegal. Just have them arrested and let the courts sort it out, not Washington.

I say ignore it completely...sports fans do, kids do...who cares?

Drug use among atheletes will continue and sports fans will continue to pay over-blown prices for tickets and still take their kids to watch....IF they object they can always stay home.

Besides, it makes baseball at least mildly interesting..

It's a non-issue....

Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Why? Steroids are forbidden (against the law) and generally viewed as unsporting.
Steroids are not "forbidden" - Steroids are, in fact, used on a regular basis to treat many ailments and injuries - including sports injuries. To help heal certain tendons, and muscles and joints.

Steroids, such as Testerone are regularly injected into patients who's body's are not producing sufficent quanities.

Perhaps, you need to study up on your topic a little more TD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies