Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:35 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
If you'd bother to read any of the valid US history books you'd know that this has been the reality since the colonial days. From Washington on, the low men never were included in the overall political scheme of things. Couldn't vote, couldn't serve in the government, but could always die for it. Your over the top enthusiasm is not unlike my niece on the night of Obama's first inaugural gala when her and her young friends were speculating on all the big changes we would see now that her messiah had arrived, really quite pitiful in light of America's political history..

I have yet to see a president that truly represented the "people's" interests. No, the interests that do get served are those of the upper reaches of American power, and that power has a descending order of compensation for those whose job it is to keep them in power, from party policy wonks to those who do the real dirty work, there's enough money to go around, and throughout my lifetime it's been spread pretty liberally. Trump is definitely NOT an outsider, who really believes that one can amass a fortune of that size while simultaneously advocating for the little guy? You're a working class guy, and that doesn't bode well when putting all your eggs in the basket of a billionaire businessman who rode his way to glory on the backs of guys like you..
So would it hurt your feelings if Trump turn out to be a good president, and things improve? I am a realist, and understand the challenges placed before him. But like I often say, Trump is not Clinton, and that's what's most important. Because you know exactly what you would have gotten from the Clinton Crime cartel. More of the same, plus or minus the excuses.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Try learning reading comprehension instead of rushing to insults. The poster stated METRO DETROIT, almost all of the towns in metro Detroit are filled with working people who take great pride in being self sufficient, millions of them, many whom have lost their good paying manufacturing jobs to cheap overseas workers and now struggle to get by. I suppose Trump is going to magically fix their lives and they will get their great jobs with full benfits back? I prefer not to pass out so I won't hold my breath.
More conservative nonsense from the alternative right.

You trumplets cracked me up. America is already great. Smh

Old 12-30-2016, 01:49 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Not according to Liberals/Democrats... According to them we're racist. homophobic, xenophobic, bigoted, Imperialist hate mongers who oppress everyone that isn't white. It's practically all they talk about.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why are liberals upset that things are going to be good again?
You don't know that for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire;
The economy is going to be moving into overdrive, and our GDP will be growing by at least 4%, but more like 5% and even beyond.
According to whose crystal ball?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire;
America is going to show the world that while capitalism is not perfect, it is much more fair and wholesome, not to mention more efficient, than communism, or crony capitalism.
I'll believe it when I see it. And btw, the US hasn't begun to see crony capitalism yet. But it may well do that soon. Look at who's been appointed to cabinet positions; those people are all about crony capitalism. The President of Taiwan calling to congratulate the Gameshow-host-Elect? That is ALL about crony capitalism. Fasten your seat belt; we're all in for a wild ride.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Not according to Liberals/Democrats... According to them we're racist. homophobic, xenophobic, bigoted, Imperialist hate mongers who oppress everyone that isn't white. It's practically all they talk about.
Hmm, I wonder where they got that idea? Maybe from reading the posts on C-D Pol & OC forum? Ya think?

Old 12-30-2016, 02:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Even with thirty million baskets of deplorables running loose in the country? That's quite an accomplishment on America's part.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:12 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
This is a pretty good article about Anthony Bourdain, who is liberal. It probably deserves its own thread but meh.

Interesting what he says about liberals and their disdain for the working class. If more liberals and conservatives were like this we might actually find some middle ground.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ijr.com...ud-expect/amp/

Old 12-30-2016, 02:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So what are your ideas about jobs and the economy and immigration, then? I'm seeing a lot of criticism about Trump's ideas, but I don't see anyone proposing anything better.
That's simple:

- strengthen the competition authority and fine price rigging fiercely. Restrict misleading promotions (couponing, fuel perks) to enhance the competition to achieve lower prices. Profit margins in the U.S. are outrageous
- ban extortionate rates of interest
- reduce the corporate tax massively
- introduce a value-added tax to reduce the trade deficit
- tax breaks for corporations that invest in capital goods
- restrict share repurchases
- ensure that political and business decissions are in favor of the real economy and in favor of the average people
- reduce spending on military
- reduce employment in public services
- reduce import restrictions to ensure that companies have to compete with foreign companies to make domestic made goods cheaper
- outlaw renting of housing that fall below a certain quality level
- fine exorbitant rents
- introduce a dual education system to ensure a constant flow of skilled workers
- create regional centers of expertise to ensure that manufacturer are able to compete better with competitiors from other developed countries
- ensure that new technologies will find their way into the production process (the U.S. is good in inventing new technologies, but rather bad in implementing them)
- ban suburban sprawl to stop urban decay, revitalize urban areas
- lower the cost of healthcare massively (more competition is needed)
- make everything as efficient as possible
- try to stop the overvaluation of the USD
- rise the minimum wage

Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
That's simple:

- strengthen the competition authority and fine price rigging fiercely. Restrict misleading promotions (couponing, fuel perks) to enhance the competition to achieve lower prices. Profit margins in the U.S. are outrageous
- ban extortionate rates of interest
- reduce the corporate tax massively
- introduce a value-added tax to reduce the trade deficit
- tax breaks for corporations that invest in capital goods
- restrict share repurchases
- ensure that political and business decissions are in favor of the real economy and in favor of the average people
- reduce spending on military
- reduce employment in public services
- reduce import restrictions to ensure that companies have to compete with foreign companies to make domestic made goods cheaper
- outlaw renting of housing that fall below a certain quality level
- fine exorbitant rents
- introduce a dual education system to ensure a constant flow of skilled workers
- create regional centers of expertise to ensure that manufacturer are able to compete better with competitiors from other developed countries
- ensure that new technologies will find their way into the production process (the U.S. is good in inventing new technologies, but rather bad in implementing them)
- ban suburban sprawl to stop urban decay, revitalize urban areas
- lower the cost of healthcare massively (more competition is needed)
- make everything as efficient as possible
- try to stop the overvaluation of the USD
- rise the minimum wage
Heheh, yes, very simple! I believe that Trump does favor lower corporate taxes. But ban suburban sprawl? Whew-wee, talk about political suicide!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:50 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Liberals are nothing new to any society. There will always be people who hate the majority, the establishment and really, themselves. They are a disease to any society.
Think you have it backwards PMF.Reading through the many topics and responses in this forum virtually all the hate i see is coming from the right directed at Liberals. rightie comments are usually very short with content being derogatory in nature and usually contains some hateful name calling,your post being a prime example..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies