Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:57 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No, but it's going to be fun watching retailers try to sell $200 shirts. Like popcorn eating level fun. But Trump is going to make everyone so rich they will buy them ten at a time, right?
^^^^This is in the same vein of liberals screaming that if we got rid of the illegals, a head of lettuce will cost $10.

Just more hysterical nonsense on the libs part.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Trump manufactures overseas even now. Is he a liberal?
Because liberal policies make it nearly impossible to compete against communist nations that hate us. Trump is in business to make a profit. If he wants to give money away, he uses his charity.

Did you know that it is cheaper to send a package from China to America than it is to send a package from anywhere in the US to anywhere else in the US?

How is that fair to anyone trying to compete in the US?

Oh, I forgot... We are all supposed to be selling insurance to one another. Those are the designated winners in liberal loser land. Not people who produce actual wealth. Got it.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And yet it took a Democratic POTUS to dig us out of the hole that a Republican POTUS got us into even after being handed a surplus by another Democratic POTUS. Put that in your pipe and smoke it...
Uh huh. And what did Obama, a democrat, do? He put us even deeper into the hole.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^This is in the same vein of liberals screaming that if we got rid of the illegals, a head of lettuce will cost $10.

Just more hysterical nonsense on the libs part.
Let's just see what happens. Trump says he will enact tariffs on goods manufactured overseas, so that shirt will be more expensive. If that shirt is manufactured in the U.S., workers will expect higher pay than foreign workers currently receive, so the shirt will be more expensive. Either way, the price is going up so better shop now.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Let's just see what happens. Trump says he will enact tariffs on goods manufactured overseas, so that shirt will be more expensive. If that shirt is manufactured in the U.S., workers will expect higher pay than foreign workers currently receive, so the shirt will be more expensive. Either way, the price is going up so better shop now.
We're paying 50% more annually for health insurance that doesn't cover what it used to. Wages have been stagnant, at best. Under Obama, Americans have been losing non stop, and the world has been pointing and laughing at us.

But I forgot, all is well because Walmart is giving away jobs to anyone and everyone, and all is going to be well. Nice story.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We're paying 50% more annually for health insurance that doesn't cover what it used to. Wages have been stagnant, at best. Under Obama, Americans have been losing non stop, and the world has been pointing and laughing at us.

But I forgot, all is well because Walmart is giving away jobs to anyone and everyone, and all is going to be well. Nice story.
Wages have been basically stagnant for decades. Obama isn't the cause, he's just done nothing to help.

The ACA has caused premiums to rise. This is mainly due to the mandatory nature of the law and the fact that insurers cannot deny for pre-existing conditions, the latter of which Trump says he likes and would like to keep. Eliminating the requirement of coverage and keeping the ban on refusing treatment for pre-existing conditions would cause rates to increase significantly for those who most need it. That may not affect you, but that's not a good track to be.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 AM

244 posts, read 180,962 times
I would love the vision of America's future described by the OP to become reality, I really do. Yet having paid attention to this world we live in and our incoming federal government, I very much doubt that is physically possible.

I think in the very near future there may indeed be a burst of economic activity. However, I am afraid it will be much like bursts of activity in 1920's or mid 2000's, both of which were followed by massive crises, requiring massive federal intervention to save the country from chaos.

I hope I am wrong but I just can't see how. The new administration is packed with billionaires that are good at speculating on the market for short term gain but are not capable of and are not interested in coming up with a long term, sustainable plan for our economy.

Due to technological progress this world is changing fast. Unskilled and semiskilled jobs are being automated away. That truth really hit home for me when I attended a tech trade show. One of the exhibits was a software system for voice customer support. Yes, the kind of support you dial to report an electric outage or change your cell phone plan. That thing is not far from being unrolled on the market. Just think about the implications of that for the job market. It should be self evident that the past ways of doing business are never coming back. Our new government is past-facing and I just can't see how America will not lose from spending our precious time and energy on simplistic recipes from that past.

Finally, this has nothing to do with "liberal" or "conservative". These are stupid labels created by politicians for their gain. I am talking cold, hard facts here.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
"Do liberals hate America?"

After observing Liberals for the last 40 years, in a word, Yes.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Wages have been basically stagnant for decades. Obama isn't the cause, he's just done nothing to help.

The ACA has caused premiums to rise. This is mainly due to the mandatory nature of the law and the fact that insurers cannot deny for pre-existing conditions, the latter of which Trump says he likes and would like to keep. Eliminating the requirement of coverage and keeping the ban on refusing treatment for pre-existing conditions would cause rates to increase significantly for those who most need it. That may not affect you, but that's not a good track to be.
PICK UP A NEWSPAPER! Stop rehashing the lies.

There are two concrete things Obama has done to de-stagnate wages:

A: Push minimum wages to $15/hr and tie it to inflation going forward
B: Raise the threshold for employees to be exempt from OT and tie it to inflation going forward.

These are two empirical facts directly impacting two classes of employees to raise their wages and keep them from falling behind inflation.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
PICK UP A NEWSPAPER! Stop rehashing the lies.

There are two concrete things Obama has done to de-stagnate wages:

A: Push minimum wages to $15/hr and tie it to inflation going forward
B: Raise the threshold for employees to be exempt from OT and tie it to inflation going forward.

These are two empirical facts directly impacting two classes of employees to raise their wages and keep them from falling behind inflation.
Go ahead and raise minimum wage to $15 without making any structural changes. After a year, $15/hr will be worth what minimum wage is today, thanks to inflation.

Another example of why simple minded libs cannot handle the responsibility of managing complex things like an economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candalf View Post
I would love the vision of America's future described by the OP to become reality, I really do. Yet having paid attention to this world we live in and our incoming federal government, I very much doubt that is physically possible.

I think in the very near future there may indeed be a burst of economic activity. However, I am afraid it will be much like bursts of activity in 1920's or mid 2000's, both of which were followed by massive crises, requiring massive federal intervention to save the country from chaos.

I hope I am wrong but I just can't see how. The new administration is packed with billionaires that are good at speculating on the market for short term gain but are not capable of and are not interested in coming up with a long term, sustainable plan for our economy.

Due to technological progress this world is changing fast. Unskilled and semiskilled jobs are being automated away. That truth really hit home for me when I attended a tech trade show. One of the exhibits was a software system for voice customer support. Yes, the kind of support you dial to report an electric outage or change your cell phone plan. That thing is not far from being unrolled on the market. Just think about the implications of that for the job market. It should be self evident that the past ways of doing business are never coming back. Our new government is past-facing and I just can't see how America will not lose from spending our precious time and energy on simplistic recipes from that past.

Finally, this has nothing to do with "liberal" or "conservative". These are stupid labels created by politicians for their gain. I am talking cold, hard facts here.
Only the brainwashed libs believe America is not capable of being great again. Don't give in to liberal hate towards America and our courage to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies