Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Ah yes...the idle ramblings of diseased minds. The hallmark of this forum.
No truer words. Psychotic, illogical, false ramblings - CD is loaded with 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
No. In an ideal world, everyone who read the OP would possess a foundational deep understanding of propaganda dynamics, would have already gotten on top of this particular story via doing footwork, and could quickly grasp what I was talking about. They would not have needed ME to point out the nonsense (much less explain it). Unfortunately, that ain't the case.

Many today aren't even interested in truth. Or they are just soooo ignorant. It gets tiresome. I have 3 young kids, work full time, have major health issues, etc. etc. And I can STILL find time to be fully woke.......
Oh, my, aren't you the special one.

If your only goal is to start a click bait thread in order to waste everyone's time, shame on you. I generally read CD P&C for something I might have missed - and then doublecheck truthfulness of the hyperbole. You don't "inform" anyone by being cute. This, alone, has earned you a spot on my "ignore" list - not that you care.

For someone who takes pride on being so "well-informed," you clearly aren't.

THREAD FAIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Please show me where I said, or implied, that the NYT is "innocent." So far as I know, I've consistently agreed that it probably is biased and has made various mistakes. I'm just asking for specific examples to discuss.
Okay. My second part of the post highlighted that the NYT illegal received and somehow illegally posted Trump's tax returns. Apparently no DOJ inquire but there is one example of illegal ( violating federal laws) conducted by the Worthless NYT.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
Today the #1 example is the New York Times. In a 3,000 or so word article on Putin's decision to not retaliate against our expulsion of Russian diplomats, every aspect of the story is covered, inside and out............well, except for one. And that one happens to be THE takeaway aspect of the developments. Since that part of it makes Dear Leader look terrible, they had to simply omit it.
So, if you rely on the New York Times for your information about this story, guess what?? You got faked out and lied to.

All the news that's fit to print.......lol
The LA Times does the same thing, anything not complementary to Obama or Democrats isn't mentioned.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No truer words. Psychotic, illogical, false ramblings - CD is loaded with 'em.

Oh, my, aren't you the special one.

If your only goal is to start a click bait thread in order to waste everyone's time, shame on you. I generally read CD P&C for something I might have missed - and then doublecheck truthfulness of the hyperbole. You don't "inform" anyone by being cute. This, alone, has earned you a spot on my "ignore" list - not that you care.

For someone who takes pride on being so "well-informed," you clearly aren't.

THREAD FAIL.
I have found more and more on C-D that whenever a new thread is started which challenges the "established narrative" (established by the leftist culture and media), the leftists bomb the thread with "you're trolling", or "thread fail", or "this is just click bait", or "this topic should be locked". So your response is predictable.

It reflects a certain desperation; leftists are afraid that people will discuss the issues. They also have totalitarianism at heart. And they are masters of Alinsky-ite propaganda.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:41 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Bye bye New York Times

One week after the New York area was placed directly in the path of the strongest winds and highest storm surge resulting from Hurricane Sandy, which destroyed property from the Jersey shore to lower Manhattan, NOT A WORD ABOUT ANYTHING ON SANDY IN THE NEW YORK TIMES SUNDAY EDITION. Strange.

I just watched a roundtable composed of four journalists, from the Atlantic Monthly and The Wall Street Journal. One-half hour of attacks on what Trump may do.

Does anyone have a list of newspapers and radio shows that (one) publish the news of the day (2) are even handed? Really not interested in pundits giving their opinions about nothing at all.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Predictable spin

Quote:
It's a game I play sometime: somebody links to an article in the NYT or Washington Post, I guess what information will be distorted or omitted, and then I read it to see if I was right. (It used to kind of a fun game...but now they are so mind-numbingly predictable that I am right 98% of the time. Which means it's not much fun anymore).
I lived in DC for ten years and cancelled my subscription to the Post. Frankly I was amazed and sadden that the contributing journalists had to bash conservatives on a daily basis which sometimes resulted in really goofy articles or "news" items. You would think that if the paper was factually wrong there would be plenty of retractions, but there were not.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 AM

626 posts, read 380,971 times
Fake News media has to stop.

THey kept saying Aleppo had "fallen" when Assad regained control... How does a city "fall" to the elected leader lol

Pure propaganda

Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
It's a game I play sometime: somebody links to an article in the NYT or Washington Post, I guess what information will be distorted or omitted, and then I read it to see if I was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
...which sometimes resulted in really goofy articles or "news" items. You would think that if the paper was factually wrong there would be plenty of retractions, but there were not.
I would like to hear a few specific examples of what you are talking about (distortions, omissions, or factual errors that were never retracted).

Old 01-01-2017, 10:04 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I would like to hear a few specific examples of what you are talking about (distortions, omissions, or factual errors that were never retracted).
We've already covered this... The NYT illegally obtained Trump's tax returns and then again illegally decided to publish them, again in violation of existing laws, and made no apologies and has yet to be charged in federal court. Lovely newspaper...

Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
We've already covered this... The NYT illegally obtained Trump's tax returns and then again illegally decided to publish them, again in violation of existing laws, and made no apologies and has yet to be charged in federal court. Lovely newspaper...
I think there is some debate over the legal issues. Trump's lawyers have threatened legal action. If the case was clearly winnable, I suspect they would be pursuing it already. But for the sake of argument I will assume that it was clearly illegal. This doesn't address my request for examples of false information that was not retracted.

Any random idiot can type words like "The mainsteam media is full of lies." It's just 40 pecks on a keyboard. The problem is that no useful discussion whatsoever can follow from this unless some specific examples are given. And it should be easy to give examples. "Mainstream media" is a wide term covering 1000s of organizations publishing countless articles. I'm sure that they sometimes get stuff wrong. Let's narrow things down just a bit. The theme of this thread is that there are tons of lies in the NYT and Washington Post. It should be easy to give examples. I'm simply asking for examples so that, possibly, something close to an intelligent discussion could follow.

BTW: I would also mention that "bias" is not the same as false information or fake news. I don't think that any intelligent person doubts that news media are biased. The radical left has been accusing the media of bias for many decades (Noam Chompsky, for example). This is one good reason for freedom of the press. No single source is unbiased. With enough different voices, there is as least some hope that something closer to truth can emerge. (This is tied to the general principle that there is strength in diversity.) This, again, is why intelligent people rely on multiple sources for news. And, if something is really important, an intelligent person will want to find the best arguments and evidence for both sides of the debate. This is also why anyone making claims of fact should present evidence and/or cite references for their claims. In the end we might have to agree to disagree about certain facts, if the evidence is not clear, but at least we will understand the sources of our claims. (Unlike this forum, where people hurl endless insults and accusations without apparently even realizing that evidence, arguments, and references are important for anything.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies