Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times

Advertisements

Mormon choir singer quits to avoid performing at Trump inauguration | TheHill

"I only know I could never ‘throw roses to Hitler.’ And I certainly could never sing for him."

Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
I read this... posted my response on my on and off blog.

Before I begin discussing this… this is not a political opinion. I am looking at our behavior and how we respond to circumstances.

So where do we go with this? She resigns because Trump’s morality is too heavy for her to bear.

Let me say that the only difference between Trump and you or me, is that he ran for president and had his dirty laundry aired out for all to see. If all of our lives were laid bare for all to see, nobody would do anything for anybody – based on the response from the woman in the church. Trump just talked. Many people root for sports teams with people that have committed actual crimes to others. Many people support politicians who have committed crimes, or cheated on their taxes.

Let’s bring another aspect to the table. She is a member of a church choir. So I assume she is a church member. She indicated that she prayed about it to God. What I see is a missed opportunity for a testimony. Because if there is anyone fit to turn His back on sinful people, it’s God. Yet He sent His Son to die for people who continually offend Him through sinful behavior.

Why not take this approach?
I am appalled at the morality that Trump displayed, but just as God forgave me for the things I did, He can forgive Trump for the things he said as well. So while I do not support what Trump said, I will sing to glorify God with the hope that Mr. Trump or anyone else will come to a relationship with God through faith in His Son.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:52 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I read this... posted my response on my on and off blog.

Before I begin discussing this… this is not a political opinion. I am looking at our behavior and how we respond to circumstances.

So where do we go with this? She resigns because Trump’s morality is too heavy for her to bear.

Let me say that the only difference between Trump and you or me, is that he ran for president and had his dirty laundry aired out for all to see. If all of our lives were laid bare for all to see, nobody would do anything for anybody – based on the response from the woman in the church. Trump just talked. Many people root for sports teams with people that have committed actual crimes to others. Many people support politicians who have committed crimes, or cheated on their taxes.

Let’s bring another aspect to the table. She is a member of a church choir. So I assume she is a church member. She indicated that she prayed about it to God. What I see is a missed opportunity for a testimony. Because if there is anyone fit to turn His back on sinful people, it’s God. Yet He sent His Son to die for people who continually offend Him through sinful behavior.

Why not take this approach?
I am appalled at the morality that Trump displayed, but just as God forgave me for the things I did, He can forgive Trump for the things he said as well. So while I do not support what Trump said, I will sing to glorify God with the hope that Mr. Trump or anyone else will come to a relationship with God through faith in His Son.
The funniest thing is all the evangelicals that supported Trump. It sounds like this girl is at least an evangelical that is true to her beliefs. And no, most people behave differently than Trump, the difference isn't that his behavior was aired in public. Reading the article, she sounds like she really has thought this out and sees the parallels.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:28 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I guess polygamy and racism weren't huge enough moral issues.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

"I only know I could never ‘throw roses to Hitler.’ And I certainly could never sing for him."
Interesting. My history classes were total BS. I was taught that Hitler was responsible for the death of millions, but apparently Hitler didn't murder millions but only proposed a wall were to be built and he opposed some trade deals.

I'm glad people like this guy are setting history straight.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Well, if that singer wants to quit the Choir to avoid singing at Trump's inauguration, she's just cutting off her nose to spite her face. There are 360 individuals in the Choir and they must be present at 80% of their rehearsals and performances in order to remain in the Choir. They perform weekly, throughout the year and frequently for all kinds of special occasions, so the logical thing for this particular singer to do would just be to opt out of singing at Trump's inauguration. She doesn't need to quit the Choir. My guess is that she just wanted her 15-minute of fame.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-30-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Interesting. My history classes were total BS. I was taught that Hitler was responsible for the death of millions, but apparently Hitler didn't murder millions but only proposed a wall were to be built and he opposed some trade deals.

I'm glad people like this guy are setting history straight.
As his supporters keep saying, he hasn't even taken office yet. Give him a chance!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I guess polygamy and racism weren't huge enough moral issues.
Just more of Hitlery's deplorables desperately searching for some shred of moral higher ground to hold on to.

Hard to fathom any religious folks seeing any good in the rapist enabler and previous rapist in chief. The democratic party as a whole has devolved into a real freak show of perversion and treachery. Thank goodness the American people stood up to this evil.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:

Just another stupid liberal butthurt over the election.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
As his supporters keep saying, he hasn't even taken office yet. Give him a chance!
So, you are predicting he will be like Hitler and begin exterminations?

What do you base this on?

(And the left wonders why they lost)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies