Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's been a real education. I had no idea the disdain some people have for rural America and the working class, and really do not get it. It's not even about Trump. This didn't just crop up overnight, the election exposed it.
I will agree to an extent. I had NO idea that rural America thoroughly hated urban America and seems to think everyone in Urban America is living some kind of easy life.

Oh, and the disdain for college students has become louder and louder for the past five years; like it's really easy to graduate from college as opposed to working a manufacturing job or some such.

Let's face it and admit it - the disdain works both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I will agree to an extent. I had NO idea that rural America thoroughly hated urban America and seems to think everyone in Urban America is living some kind of easy life.

Oh, and the disdain for college students has become louder and louder for the past five years; like it's really easy to graduate from college as opposed to working a manufacturing job or some such.

I was shocked to learn that also.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Anthony is late to the party. Why didn't he bring this up early in the year? Bernie Sanders was busy going around the country trying to get middle class votes but he kept being told to court the millennials and immigrants by those same damn polls that got it wrong. All he needed to do was fly to middle America and tell them the same thing that Trump was saying. "I'm gonna bring back jobs and I will tell the companies to keep jobs here in America!"

I've seen Bernie gave similar speech like Trump except he kept attacking Trump as a bigot and misogynist and not stick to the issues.

The entire Democrat strategy this year was about negative attacks against Trump and his people and that's why they failed. They never gave the working class people any hope or list of things they will do to bring jobs back.

Now they will pay the price of failure which is obscurity. I once was part of the democrat party but they never resonated with me the past 10 years.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:25 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:

NO idea what you are talking about. Rural people don't care if you go to college and get a tech job in a city. They are trying to keep a roof over their kids heads.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
NO idea what you are talking about. Rural people don't care if you go to college and get a tech job in a city. They are trying to keep a roof over their kids heads.
He's just being stupid, he doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:

It's not? Now how hard could it be to get a degree in gender studies? I mean, some chick carried a mattress around Columbia U and even walked across the stage with it on graduation day...

We didn't get safe spaces before the Berlin Wall fell. We actually had to huddle under desks for bomb drills.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Seems you're misguided here......its the Liberals that came out calling rural Americans names. Bible thumpers, gun-toting tea baggers, deplorable etc.......and Obama and Hillary wonder why they lost!

Quote:

The disdain comes from low income, uneducated people who never plan to finish college. 30 yrs ago many of my friends went to college, some had to drop out, due to not having the funds to finish. Now young adults are wanting to take out college loans, with nothing to back that loan up and then stop paying when times get tough. Yet, how many have been paying on their college loans for 20+ yrs. Plus, just how many illegals and immigrants are now filling up our colleges, over American young adults.

Its not the disdain for college students. Its the disdain that most colleges are becoming one sided political liberal playing fields, that others are not being treated fairly with what they're paying for.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:54 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
True. But the more important truth is that this is exactly what the elites who rule over us want...They want us divided every which way: liberal vs. conservative, red state vs. blue state, black vs. white, religious vs. secular, pro life vs. pro choice, and on and on and on.

It's deliberate.

In the article, Bourdain talks about the rise of authoritarianism...and he is right about that. But it doesn't appear to have dawned on him yet that this authoritarianism is coming from across the political spectrum. It just wears different guises depending on the political party.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
All you have to do is peruse this forum to see what I'm talking about. Do you not think that city dwellers also worry about jobs and taking care of their families????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
It's not? Now how hard could it be to get a degree in gender studies? I mean, some chick carried a mattress around Columbia U and even walked across the stage with it on graduation day...

We didn't get safe spaces before the Berlin Wall fell. We actually had to huddle under desks for bomb drills.
You speak only in basic stereotypes. Get back to me when you get your degree in engineering or an MBA in finance.

Obviously you don't know what you don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
True. But the more important truth is that this is exactly what the elites who rule over us want...They want us divided every which way: liberal vs. conservative, red state vs. blue state, black vs. white, religious vs. secular, pro life vs. pro choice, and on and on and on.

It's deliberate.
Indeed it is. Donald Trump just ran the MOST divisive campaign that this country has ever seen.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:19 PM

638 posts, read 310,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Anthony Bourdain slams ‘privileged’ liberals...
My level of respect has inched higher for this guy.
Yeah, that piece increased my level of respect for the man. Y'know it's sad. I don't WANT to know that I'm sharing a country with a group that puts the best interests of non-Americans ahead of the best interests of their brethren. That actually saddens me. I look around and just think "would you turn on your own family if they were in need too?"

I mean whether or not they agree, I believe you help your family first, then your neighbors, then the people down the road, then the next city, state, and way way at the bottom of the list citizens of another nation. What liberals seem to be doing is exactly opposite, and then rationalizing it by using words like "privileged" and comparing their neighbors to those they actually know nothing about. In short, they don't seem to have any loyalty whatsoever to what was once their nation.

This is why I've said in the past I wouldn't hire them. What if that thought process creeps into business? Would I have to worry about them putting the needs of another company they feel is more deserving ahead of their own employer? It's not really a stretch when you look at what has been happening.

I guess that's what it comes down to, right? Loyalty. Liberals just don't seem to have any loyalty for their nation. Never mind their "country". Because a "country" essentially is the government of a nation. A "nation" is a collective of people within a common society. A "nation" is antithetical to what liberals seem to cherish, and that is multiculturalism. When you have several groups of people all adhering to different social norms and goals, that's not a nation. They don't seem to understand that, and it didn't used to be that way.

What really saddens me? I feel like I'm lowering myself to their level when I have to turn on them to remain loyal to my nation. But hey, they put me in that position. I certainly didn't ask for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies