Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:06 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I would sure rather spend taxpayers money on defense than supporting generations of professional welfare recipients laying around in the shade, stone drunk all day.
Of coarse if drugs are legalised more people will use drugs and drive around intoxicated and run into you.
And don't forget about them having illegitimate babies who are our future welfare recipients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And don't forget about them having illegitimate babies who are our future welfare recipients.
there is no such thing as an "illegitimate" baby anymore, it was a stigmatizing word from another era.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

There you go, talking about Bristol Palin.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" hear people all the time rattling off about "lazy people sitting on there ass collecting welfare" and about "burdening the taxpayer" and all of that jazz"

Do you have any experience with these people?

I have.

I worked in federal govt housing projects and have seen what you describe first hand.

Not ALL people but, a whole lot of them.

Minimum wage is NOT intended to be a career.

I have family members who started out on minimum wage and THROUGH HARD WORK got raises and were promoted to higher positions.

It is up to the PEOPLE themselves to improve their lot in the world.

" They seem to think"

I wish people Ike you would STOP "assuming" what others think.

It makes YOU look ignorant.

I don't know anybody who does not want to help other people but, the waste fraud and abuse of federal programs has got to be gotten under control.

"Stop spending ridiculous amounts on defense"

We tried isolationism and t didn't turn out to wee. And that was many years ago.

In today's world we NEED to be all over the world in order to protect ourselves.

And end the war on drug.

Right, let's let people do whatever they want with drugs and see how that will turn out.

Every SINGLE GOV"T PROGRAM shoudl be audited and determined if it is worth the cost to borrow (that is what we are doing now) money to keep it.

It is NOT that we don't take in enough money, it is what are we DOING with what we take in.

You sound like the typical college kid who has NO real world experience.
First of all, I never went to college and have been working for the last 3.5 years, making more than minimum wage, so I do have "real world experience".

As I said before, the people that want to do drugs are already doing them, so I don't see drug use going through the roof, sure it will go up some, but there's no reason why most drugs can't be regulated and taxed like alcohol and tobacco, two of the worst drugs ever. But as long as people understand the risks of drug use and are not harming anyone else in the process they should be allowed to do them, and society should benefit from that, instead of keeping them illegal and making a bunch of drug lords rich.

And that whole "in today's world" crap is just you buying into the scare tactics the government always uses to make people support military action. There will always be a "boogeyman" out there plotting against us and trying to harm the US, whether it's the Al Qaeda, Taliban, ISIS, Japan, Germany, whoever. If anything we live in the safest times the world has ever seen, people are just babies that are scared of everything. My whole point is we waste literally billions of dollars a year on weapons, aircraft, etc that the military both doesn't need and doesn't ever use. None of that waste can be gotten rid of?

Old 12-31-2016, 01:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
America doesn't necessarily need a new industry. America needs to get good at something besides creating useless, expensive bureaucracy and government dependents. Marijuana is not going to help this situation.

Besides, we had plenty of industry until Americans decided to throw it away in favor of cheap, poisonous, slave labor goods. How about teaching people to get a job again doing the stuff we used to be good at, instead of paying people to do nothing. I think we had a little better ROI in the past. You know, the way things were before the globalists invaded and took over...
Marijuana will put more people on entitlement programs. Why work when I can smoke and collect and smoke more.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm really sorry you've been out of work for a long time, and hope that things turn around for you in 2017.

I have no problem with tax dollars going to help people who are truly unable to work, due to a disability. When I spoke of the unemployable, I meant those who are unemployable because they have no skills.

I'm against legalizing drugs, but in favor of decriminalizing them. Nobody should be in prison for using drugs, but they should be in prison for selling them. And I don't mean 'I sold a bit of pot to a friend', I mean really moving drugs.

I have to wonder how much money we're wasting spying on our own citizens. I'd rather see that cut before defense spending. And if we stop sending money to other countries, such as Israel, that would be a good start, too.
How are people supposed to use drugs legally if it's illegal to sell them, if we just decriminalize drugs we still have the problem of drug cartels, gang violence and that leaves a whole underground, untaxed economy that we are missing out on. The government needs to take over the market.

I also agree with stopping funding to spy on US citizens, this whole paranoia over everything since 9/11 has really got to go. Of course the government has been spying on the citizens forever, but the problem needs to be stopped.

And your spot on when you say we should stop funding other countries too. Sending disaster relief and stuff like that is one thing, but we should not be supplying militants in the middle east with weapons and training them. That's what causes this perpetual cycle that keeps us constantly at war in the first place, apart from the middle east always being a constant battleground that we just can't resist sticking our nose in where it doesn't belong.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:40 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I hear people all the time rattling off about "lazy people sitting on there ass collecting welfare" and about "burdening the taxpayer" and all of that jazz. They seem to think that people on welfare is the worst thing the government is wasting money on, and that we need to get rid of it. But I think the vast majority of people on welfare actually need it to some degree, and aren't just cheating the system, but are the few million that are worth getting rid of it entirely? I don't think so. Besides, entitlement programs aren't even a fraction of the debt problem in this country

I say that the two biggest things the government can do to stop wasting money are: Stop spending ridiculous amounts on defense and end the war on drugs. We don't need military bases all over the world, we don't need to be fighting proxy wars in the middle east and trying to build nations all over the world, we need to focus on America. I am an isolationist, and while I see why it's necessary to keep tabs on other countries for security reasons, we don't need this imperial presence throughout the world and we need to stop worrying about other countries before our own and stop trying to police the world. That alone would save the biggest amount of money, as we spend more money on defense then the next top 20 countries combined, which is astounding.

Secondly, if we ended the war on drugs and legalized and regulated them, we would eliminate drug cartels and dealers, stop housing people in prison who are simply drug users (and who haven't harmed anyone else), and make a lot of tax money on top of that. Legalizing drugs won't cause a massive surge of people doing drugs, because the people who really want to do drugs are already doing them because they don't give a **** if it's legal or not. So were not going to see a massive influx of crackheads and meth addicts, we would stop the gang violence of fighting over drug territory, and people who are addicted to drugs would at least know they are getting an uncut product.

We don't need to be taxed more, we just have to make the government quit wasting what it already takes.

This is way way too logical to ever be considered by politicians. Better to blame our problems on people who apply for welfare while huge companies who go to the government shaking a cup are American heroes.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Marijuana will put more people on entitlement programs. Why work when I can smoke and collect and smoke more.
Well you obviously buy into the stereotype that marijuana makes everyone lazy, which is completely false. Plenty of people find marijuana as a motivatonal drug that makes them want to get up and do something, or they smoke while they are working on something and it cheers them up or whatever the case may be. And I'm not just talking about marijuana, all drugs should be legalized and regulated. Prohibition does not work , we need to accept that and move on to a better system.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
How are people supposed to use drugs legally if it's illegal to sell them, if we just decriminalize drugs we still have the problem of drug cartels, gang violence and that leaves a whole underground, untaxed economy that we are missing out on. The government needs to take over the market.

I also agree with stopping funding to spy on US citizens, this whole paranoia over everything since 9/11 has really got to go. Of course the government has been spying on the citizens forever, but the problem needs to be stopped.

And your spot on when you say we should stop funding other countries too. Sending disaster relief and stuff like that is one thing, but we should not be supplying militants in the middle east with weapons and training them. That's what causes this perpetual cycle that keeps us constantly at war in the first place, apart from the middle east always being a constant battleground that we just can't resist sticking our nose in where it doesn't belong.
You seem to think legalizing drugs will make gang activity go away. It won't. Gang activity is a symptom of poverty. If the government legalizes drugs and undercuts street drugs to the point where there is no profit, they'll just find other things to do with their time and other ways to get money.

And decriminalizing drugs doesn't mean people would be using drugs legally. It means it would be treated as a smaller offense instead of a criminal one. People might be fined and made to do community service, for example, and not imprisoned for using drugs. Those looking for treatment in rehab, would be offered such treatment. A more humane approach, in my estimation.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" hear people all the time rattling off about "lazy people sitting on there ass collecting welfare" and about "burdening the taxpayer" and all of that jazz"

Do you have any experience with these people?

I have.

I worked in federal govt housing projects and have seen what you describe first hand.

Not ALL people but, a whole lot of them.

Minimum wage is NOT intended to be a career.

I have family members who started out on minimum wage and THROUGH HARD WORK got raises and were promoted to higher positions.

It is up to the PEOPLE themselves to improve their lot in the world.

" They seem to think"

I wish people Ike you would STOP "assuming" what others think.

It makes YOU look ignorant.

I don't know anybody who does not want to help other people but, the waste fraud and abuse of federal programs has got to be gotten under control.

"Stop spending ridiculous amounts on defense"

We tried isolationism and t didn't turn out to wee. And that was many years ago.

In today's world we NEED to be all over the world in order to protect ourselves.

And end the war on drug.

Right, let's let people do whatever they want with drugs and see how that will turn out.

Every SINGLE GOV"T PROGRAM shoudl be audited and determined if it is worth the cost to borrow (that is what we are doing now) money to keep it.

It is NOT that we don't take in enough money, it is what are we DOING with what we take in.

You sound like the typical college kid who has NO real world experience.
A little history on the minimum wage would tell you it is. Secondly, there are not enough upward mobile jobs for the many who are family breadwinners working those jobs.

Quote:
On May 24, 1937, President Roosevelt sent the bill to Congress with a message that America should be able to give "all our able-bodied working men and women a fair day's pay for a fair day's work.
https://www.dol.gov/general/aboutdol/history/flsa1938
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies