Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, its all about the lies the left told and the right is pure as the driven snow. Until we get past the blame game, nothing will get better. ...
Wholeheartedly agree about getting past the blame game. The blame game does nothing or very little IF the focus is on troubleshooting or resolving or solving problems. The blame game sets up inertia, that's all, & very little else, often viewed as a mental masturbatory strategy, or some type of Orwellian 'duckspeak'.

Take this unhelpful (IF problem solving is the focus) response to a previously poorly or undefined contextual analysis of the recent global financial imbroglio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
...If Bill Clinton is never president, there is no financial crisis in 2009. ...
Aside from the impossibility of 'time travel' as a strategy, how is it helpful to blame 1 person for a global financial crisis? Is it the 'butterfly effect' or what?

Why not take a more critical thinking styled approach?

The following piece even contains a recommendation for those diehards who authoritatively insist on playing the Blame Games:

Quote:
...But if you really want to blame a CRA, I can offer you some help -- check out the credit rating agencies. As the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission concluded in its autopsy of the crisis: “The three credit-rating agencies were key enablers of the financial meltdown. The mortgage-related securities at the heart of the crisis could not have been marketed and sold without their seal of approval.” ...
Lending to Poor People Didn't Cause the Financial Crisis

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...nancial-crisis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know where this idea comes from. I never made it.

What was said was that the left has contempt for those who vote against their best interests. I find that an odd notion when they voted for Obama.

One gets a pass the first time. Candidate Obama said all the right things. I had hoped he would do them. End the wars..Not start new ones. Prosecute the bankers. Stop the bailing out of Wall Street. Stop the revolving door to lobbyists.

He did none of those things. The only interests he served were Wall Street's and the war machine.
Don't forget the insurance CEO's. Imagine someone getting a law passed that required every American to buy your product. We were forced to buy a middleman not healthcare.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:47 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
I don't know where this idea comes from. I never made it.

What was said was that the left has contempt for those who vote against their best interests. I find that an odd notion when they voted for Obama.

One gets a pass the first time. Candidate Obama said all the right things. I had hoped he would do them. End the wars..Not start new ones. Prosecute the bankers. Stop the bailing out of Wall Street. Stop the revolving door to lobbyists.

He did none of those things. The only interests he served were Wall Street's and the war machine.
At the least, I think you should give Spike Lee the credit for using the trope he coined:

Quote:
...He’s a “Magical Negro”: a saintly African-American character who acts as a mentor to a questing white hero, who seems to be disconnected from the community that he adores so much, and who often seems to have an uncanny ability to say and do exactly what needs to be said or done in order to keep the story chugging along in the hero’s favor. ...
The offensive movie cliche that won’t die - Salon.com

Old 01-01-2017, 12:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
There are indeed idiots everywhere. What Bourdain is speaking about though is the politics and what it is going to take to win.
Why do their politics have to be respected? Again, these people that Bourdain speaks about aren't tolerant of other's political perspectives either. They whine and cry about "elites," then they elect the same elites as everyone else.

They voted for Trump. Wanna explain how he's not an elite?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do their politics have to be respected? Again, these people that Bourdain speaks about aren't tolerant of other's political perspectives either. They whine and cry about "elites," then they elect the same elites as everyone else.
It's about winning. Not acting like a two year old.

Quote:
They voted for Trump. Wanna explain how he's not an elite?
Which would accomplish what exactly? Will it gain you a House seat?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
I voted for Sanders and then Stein. I did not want Trump to win but I really wanted Hillary to lose.

Nobody that voted for Hillary would not have voted for Sanders. No way Sanders loses Michigan or Wisconsin. He most likely wins Pennsylvania.

From there, who knows BUT Hillary did lose.
I think you proved my point. Pretty sure I would have voted for Trump over Sanders, and plenty of people I know feel the same. All Bernie had for the working class was his $15 an hour, but that doesn't matter if the jobs aren't there. Trump won't bring the jobs back either, but at least Clinton realized that the real problem the working class is facing is automation. Oh well, you got your way. Reap it.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
It's about winning. Not acting like a two year old.

Which would accomplish what exactly? Will it gain you a House seat?
Who's acting like a two year old? Hell, i've been saying that it's about winning for years. That's not a new revelation to me.

And gain me a House seat? How about not gerrymandering the districts?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think you proved my point. Pretty sure I would have voted for Trump over Sanders, and plenty of people I know feel the same. All Bernie had for the working class was his $15 an hour, but that doesn't matter if the jobs aren't there.
Sanders supported protecting jobs here.

Quote:
Trump won't bring the jobs back either, but at least Clinton realized that the real problem the working class is facing is automation. Oh well, you got your way. Reap it.
Hillary only recognized one thing. Her bank account.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I think Boudain is trying to play popular. He said one thing, when he thought Hilary was going to win. Now she didn't, he turned around and said its their fault they didn't listen to the people. You can't be wrong in his case.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-01-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who's acting like a two year old? Hell, i've been saying that it's about winning for years. That's not a new revelation to me.
And the article is saying that you are not going to win by demeaning and Calling others names. In questioning their thinking. The ONLY way is to provide a better alternative AND actually follow through.

Quote:
And gain me a House seat? How about not gerrymandering the districts?
Excuses. Excuses will not win anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies