Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 03:59 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Those 'liberal elitists' worked hard canvassing for Hillary and what's an elitist anyway? President Obama was called an elitist for liking arugula.
From what I can tell on this forum ~ it's anyone who went to college and lives in some sort of city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I negotiated a raise or two back when I was an employee rather than an employer, and I dare say I had more success at it than Bernie's campaign did. You guys got nothing, and Trump will make sure it stays that way.
Trump's labor secretary doesn't believe in the minimum wage or breaks. He would rather employ robots per his own statement.

NOT lookin good for the minimum wage workers but . . we'll see.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:10 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,531,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump's labor secretary doesn't believe in the minimum wage or breaks. He would rather employ robots per his own statement.

So would I. I'm not in business to run an adult daycare center, and that's what it's turning into. We've always paid more than minimum, but I'm starting to question that policy.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,936,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I negotiated a raise or two back when I was an employee rather than an employer, and I dare say I had more success at it than Bernie's campaign did. You guys got nothing, and Trump will make sure it stays that way.
Actually, the TPP is dead in the water now and that was a major part of Bernie's campaign so its not all bad. Minimum wage increases has won big victories in a lot of states partly as a result of Bernie's campaign. Bernie changed the conversation big time. It would have been pushed through under Clinton making medicine extremely expensive for poor people in Asia and would further hollow out manufacturing in America.

Last edited by PCALMike; 01-01-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 04:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And the article is saying that you are not going to win by demeaning and Calling others names. In questioning their thinking. The ONLY way is to provide a better alternative AND actually follow through.

Excuses. Excuses will not win anything.
Which is what many posters on CD do every single day, several times per day.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Those 'liberal elitists' worked hard canvassing for Hillary and what's an elitist anyway? President Obama was called an elitist for liking arugula.
I was recently called an elitist for shopping at Wegmans.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:25 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Which is what many posters on CD do every single day, several times per day.
They do. Do you take them seriously?

Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 PM

26,586 posts, read 36,531,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Actually, the TPP is dead in the water now and that was a major part of Bernie's campaign so its not all bad. Minimum wage increases has won big victories in a lot of states partly as a result of Bernie's campaign. Bernie changed the conversation big time. It would have been pushed through under Clinton making medicine extremely expensive for poor people in Asia and would further hollow out manufacturing in America.
The $15 originated with Occupy, not with Bernie. He mainstreamed and co-opted many of their ideals, but the conversation actually changed via Seattle's City Council. A significant number of jurisdictions followed suit before Bernie even announced his candidacy; it may or may not have retained its momentum independently of Bernie's campaign.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,752,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
No liberal I know "mocks" or "treats with contempt" working class America. This is just another stupid anti-liberal meme making the rounds. You know who does, though? Wall Street and Donald Trump and his new cabinet of 1%-ers. They're laughing all the way to the bank at the working-class Trump supporters who actually thought that Trump was an "outsider" who would "drain the swamp" of East Coast "elites."
A few examples, going back a couple of years to show this has been around a while
Observations From 20 Years of Iowa Life - The Atlantic
Andrea Mitchell: Iowa Is "Too White, Too Evangelical, Too Rural" | RealClearPolitics

Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

The minimum wage debate has already moved to the states; MW just went up in 19 states.

Inconvenient truth:

Because a minimum wage increase does NOTHING to resolve the underlying, intractable problem that fuels protests for a higher minimum wage, no minimum wage increase will ever be sustainable long-term.

Because this society lacks the political will to resolve the shortage of housing affordable to minimum wage earners, rents will merely by bid up further, and protesters will soon be back demanding another minimum wage increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies