Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:51 AM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times

Advertisements

Probably just taking a holiday break. The Carl Vinson, home ported here, is scheduled for a Western Pacific deployment on Thursday along with several other ships. They will also be joined by other ships based in Hawaii with a sum total of 7500 sailors at sea. This is the Navy's current strategy of forward deployment in the Pacific as a counter to Chinese naval expansionism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've read that! There were a coupla books written by a Vietnam helicopter pilot who returned home, was busted trying to smuggle a bunch of cannabis into the country on a sailboat, and wound up doing time at a club Fed in FLA. He said he'd seen brand new jet engines being buried in the ground because they had to disappear or they'd lose the $$$ to buy more.

What a wonderful reality! Makes me wanna Email my Rep And Senators and insist we give the DoD MORE! MORE! MORE!
Senate armed services committee is just as guilty.

If we realistically looked at modern and future needs OF DEFENSE vs what we do now, and have done (although it wasn't necessarily wrong during the Cold War as a conventional land war against an equivalent opponent was a reality) then we'd accomplish goals MANY ACROSS THE DOMESTIC POLITICAL SPECTRUM WANT.

But that's utopian. Our populace is too caught up in ego and one-ups-manship to look at commonalities and alliances domestically vs trying to prove how smart, and clever, they are to others.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:29 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Like Congress is all of a sudden populist. Populist is the new buzz word we'll be hearing for a bit.

btw Both parties are war mongers. The Dems just voice their disapproval when a Repub is in the White House. Or maybe I missed all those on the left calling out Obama for sending and keeping our troops and weaponry in the Middle East.
No going to disagree.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 PM

76 posts, read 56,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I'm for dismantling every over seas base, cancelling all base-leases, withdrawing from NATO, and then negotiating port of call contracts for the navy only.

All arms aid should end (create a but here, pay here for the domestic arms industry) and repeal the war powers act. If force is to be used, the president must persuade congress for an act of war to protect our vital, national interests.
Be careful there... I think Air bases in European countries like Lakenheath,Spangdahlem and Aviano should be left ready to use even if the US Air Force leaves just in case. The same goes for the US Air Force bases in Asian countries. Air power is quite valuable.

On the other hand I think the army needs to pull out. It's not like the Germans, Italians and S. Koreans etc can't fend for themselves on the ground. I'm not for withdrawing from NATO because I think if that happened the rest of it would just collapse and there would be lots of tension between different European countries like there was in the 1st half of the 20th century. What should happen is that other countries like the U.K., France, Germany and Italy should start intervening more if they have to so we can focus on what needs improvement here.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:53 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I agree with some of what you say. The National Guard should never had been deployed to anywhere outside this country!These guys are weekend warriors and were not prepared for what they encountered.Contractors also got better treatment than our own troops ,more money which the people in the US were paying for.Thanks Mr Chaney.Oh Obama needs to take the hit too don't get me wrong but BRACK and other downsizing of our Military were done by Chaney and no money was saved.
I don't know who "Mr. Chaney" is but I don't think the Vice President has the authority to send the National Guard out of the country.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
Be careful there... I think Air bases in European countries like Lakenheath,Spangdahlem and Aviano should be left ready to use even if the US Air Force leaves just in case. The same goes for the US Air Force bases in Asian countries. Air power is quite valuable.

On the other hand I think the army needs to pull out. It's not like the Germans, Italians and S. Koreans etc can't fend for themselves on the ground. I'm not for withdrawing from NATO because I think if that happened the rest of it would just collapse and there would be lots of tension between different European countries like there was in the 1st half of the 20th century. What should happen is that other countries like the U.K., France, Germany and Italy should start intervening more if they have to so we can focus on what needs improvement here.
No issues with using them as training, etc... have reciprocation for rapid deployment and allowance of a refueling fleet to remain behind.

That keeps all the maintenance, logistics, housing, etc.. in the host countries. Sheppard air base is a good example. Tons of foreign air forces use for training. We house them and their maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies