Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,074,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I have never been more hopeful that we can slow America's demise or even reverse it to an extent.
Is it the swindling of hopeful American entrepreneurs via a bogus university or the Russian investments that made showing his tax returns impossible that excited you most about this extremely unpatriotic snake oil salesman? Oh I know...the manufacturing of his own crap in China and Mexico.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,093,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Is it the swindling of hopeful American entrepreneurs via a bogus university or the Russian investments that made showing his tax returns impossible that excited you most about this extremely unpatriotic snake oil salesman? Oh I know...the manufacturing of his own crap in China and Mexico.....
All that and Mrs. Clinton still could not buy an EC victory.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,244,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Trump will be the first non politician to be inaugurated as President of the United States of America on January 20th, 2017!

It will also be the day that the Clintons will become history as they will never be back in the White House!

We also will say good bye to the Obama's and their legacy will be rewritten by democracy and not by signing on the dotted line as he has been doing for years now.
No, because there have been others. He is the first non politician and non military President though.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,644,178 times
2020 is a long way off. Trump is crazy enough that he could be a Democrat by then or decide to dump Pence (no love there) who could challenge him as could Kasich. Trump might also be gone by then....impeached or "Penced" by amendment 25.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:03 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,631,921 times
11 more days as on day 12 we have President Trump!

Liberals can bash all the want and the Clinton (fake) News Network can lie and fear monger all they want but it won't change a thing.

President Trump!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,974,251 times
I would disagree with the OP's assertion that Donald John Trump would be the first 'non-politician' elected to the presidency.

Of course, let us get our definition set. Obviously, a person that 'runs for political office' is, necessarily, a 'politician'. However, for our purposes, let us define 'politician' as one whom has run for prior political offices previously.

If we go by that definition, I believe Dwight Eisenhower would qualify as a 'non-politician' that became a President. Zachery Taylor would also fit the bill, as would Grant. All had been soldiers with no prior political experience.

One may also include Herbert Hoover, if you do not count his appointment as Secretary of Commerce (which office you are not elected to). The same for Mr. Taft, whom had previously served as Secretary of War, but had never 'run' for office prior to becoming President.

If my list is correct, Mr. Trump would be the sixth such person.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:04 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,588,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
With less than two weeks to go before the disaster known as Obama is history, it is time to buy the last bottle of snake oil he sells.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,790,027 times
Trump will be the first president to have an asterisk after his name in the history books.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,974,251 times
I also rather wonder at how some people assume that a person devoid of any political experience would by default make a 'good' president.

Indeed, if a rationale person would see my preceding post, naming the five presidents who were elected to the presidency without any prior political experience, one would see that said five are never cited as being among the 'great presidents. They may have all been good in their field of expertise, for example, the battlefield, but that does not translate to the duties required of a presidency.

One benefit of a person having prior political experience is that the voters may judge how the person previously did. For instance, George W. Bush had been a business person. He then ran for, and won, the governorship of Texas. Hence, voters had some basis to form a judgment: not only his business past, but how he handled himself in an office of public trust.

Mind, I am not demanding the thought that a 'newcomer' to office, like Mr. Trump, will necessarily make for a poor president. However, history, thus far, shows that the political neophyte tends to do poorly in such office. Mr. Trump, we shall hope, will break that streak.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Trump will be the first president to have an asterisk after his name in the history books.
Hmm. Nope.

But we do have example of one that gets the asterisk. President Ford. Only US President to assume the office without having been previously voted into either the presidential or vice presidential office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies