Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:25 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I vote a policy of non-intervention, not isolation, there's a difference.
You voted for Obama twice, and Hilliary Clinton, you vote intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You voted for Obama twice, and Hilliary Clinton, you vote intervention.
Werent those bombs dropped in the ME filled with unicorn kisses, hope and kites?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
IIRC - the definition of a liar is someone that knows he is telling an untruth. By that definition most politicians, businessmen and preachers are liars.

Interestingly enough The Donald does not appear to be a liar. He simply believes whatever he is saying no matter how fantastic. This will be interesting to watch.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IIRC - the definition of a liar is someone that knows he is telling an untruth. By that definition most politicians, businessmen and preachers are liars.

Interestingly enough The Donald does not appear to be a liar. He simply believes whatever he is saying no matter how fantastic. This will be interesting to watch.
Trump is an odd fish. It's almost like his long term memory doesn't function. He just goes with what he thinks at the moment regardless of the past.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Kissinger should be in prison right now today.
Kissinger took us off gold, and opened the door to China - all during the Viet Nam War!

Can you beat that?

Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Kissinger took us off gold, and opened the door to China - all during the Viet Nam War!

Can you beat that?
Don't even get me started about Nixon and fiat currency.

Watergate was NOTHING compared to this.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:39 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Don't even get me started about Nixon and fiat currency.

Watergate was NOTHING compared to this.
Republicans were only concerned about the Watergate.

Think about the Republicans, because they can't think about themselves.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Republicans were only concerned about the Watergate.

Think about the Republicans, because they can't think about themselves.
One of the reasons I didn't vote for their candidate.

I'm too far right to be a leftist GOP fanboy.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear, you seem to have a great ability to never respond to the point made. Nixon was a liar, Nixon was corrupt, but Nixon was not delusional. He absolutely nailed the 1968 and 1972 elections. Whether or not he is a POS is up to personal opinion and also irrelevant.
He wasn't delusional?

So Nixon's Vietnam strategy was realistic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
50 years ago, but kissinger's name was mentioned as he met with trump and the compariosn to Trump is relevant to the dems attempt to pre-emptively deligitimize trump.

Since Trump hadn't yet been mentioned, posters will say 'you drew the comparison', not us!

A history lesson in disparagng nixon would otherwise be totally irrelevant as a post today.

Dems have been using the exact same description of trump as with nixon, so the intent of the op is very clear.

Nixon was a darn good president. The dems antics, as revealed in 2016 make nixon look like a choir boy. Especially the careless behavior of HRC exposing secret data to foreign hackers. Obama called isis the jv team giving them time to grow and expanding, killing thousands upon thousands of people. Obama supressed the state of isis and the benghazi attack to "win" an election.

The op is a glimpse into what people will be saying about obama and hillary 50 years from now. Except the evidence for their corruption will not be just a theory.
Nixon was a darn good president?

How many soldiers died in Vietnam pre-Nixon and how many died during his presidency? When you figure it out, then tell me how "darn good" he was.

BTW...Watergate remains the greatest political scandal in American history. Nothing that anyone else has done will ever mitigate that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Presidents and (presidential hopefuls like Hilliary Clinton) still seek out Kissinger's support. Ghouls of a feather flock together.
Unfortunately, you're dead right.
Quote:

Can you beat that?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
One of the reasons I didn't vote for their candidate.

I'm too far right to be a leftist GOP fanboy.
Sure you are.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweekansas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times in Opening Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/op...treachery.html

Richard M. Nixon always denied it: to David Frost, to historians and to Lyndon B. Johnson, who had the strongest suspicions and the most cause for outrage at his successor’s rumored treachery. To them all, Nixon insisted that he had not sabotaged Johnson’s 1968 peace initiative to bring the war in Vietnam to an early conclusion. “My God. I would never do anything to encourage” South Vietnam “not to come to the table,” Nixon told Johnson, in a conversation captured on the White House taping system.

Now we know Nixon lied. A newfound cache of notes left by H. R. Haldeman, his closest aide, shows that Nixon directed his campaign’s efforts to scuttle the peace talks, which he feared could give his opponent, Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, an edge in the 1968 election. On Oct. 22, 1968, he ordered Haldeman to “monkey wrench” the initiative
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/op...treachery.html

Nixon, Kissinger and the rest of their thug admin were the beginning of what we have today. They wrote the book for corrupt politics in America and partisan warfare and bloodletting at any cost.

If peace talks had succeeded, millions of lives would have been saved. That doesn't mean peace talks would have succeeded without Nixon's crap, but he still sabotaged a process to save millions of lives to get elected.
I am definitely not a fan of Nixon or his extremely ugly legacy. I may start my own History thread on that awful excuse for a person.

Having said that, in view of the theatrics going on now when Obama is trying to make Trump's job as incoming POTUS difficult, I have some sympathy for what Nixon is alleged to have done here, for several reasons:
  1. The temptation to cut a deal to salvage Humphrey's narrow chance to win; and
  2. The chance that if such a deal were cut with "poison pills" the blowback would hurt the victor in the campaign, and have no effect on the Johnson presidency.

The effect of possible over-eagerness for a "deal" cannot be overestimated. Obama, in his puppy-dog eagerness to cut a deal with Iran, through enforceability and benefit to the West to the winds, along with all caution. Kerry kept on insisting that there were "deadlines" within which to make a deal. The resulting "deal" gives Iran all of its money in advance of compliance. Since there is a ten-year string on the deal, at the very least the money should have been doled out.

Similarly in the alleged 1968 "deal" the next President might well have been stripped of any ability to continue fighting if need be. As it is the 1973 Paris Peace Treaty was extraordinarily weak and I don't say that was a good thing. However, Nixon deserved a chance to do better. As we learned later Nixon was stuck removing missiles from Turkey under Kennedy's Cuban Missile Crisis dimout.

I take a dim view of almost all 11th hour deals with hostile foreign powers on the eve of an election. They are almost always very bad ones.

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-01-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies