Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Are You Politically?
Far Left 2 1.55%
Moderate Left 15 11.63%
Center Left 18 13.95%
Center 10 7.75%
Center Right 16 12.40%
Moderate Right 39 30.23%
Far Right 11 8.53%
Other 18 13.95%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times

Advertisements

Hard right.

Pay for your own stuff and services. Don't expect other people to foot the bill because you were financially stupid.

Work or starve. Don't breed if you can't take care of the end result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Most libertarians I've met say they're fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I've found that to be pretty accurate in general.
That social liberalism ends at the point where property rights are infringed upon (e.g. protected classes).

The baker does not have to bake that cake.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,114 times
I said other

I look at each issue and form my opinion

For example I am not a gun control advocate but I support marriage equality

I think expanding Medicare into a national system would be a positive move but I do not support minimum wage legislation

Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 AM

638 posts, read 310,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I said other

I look at each issue and form my opinion

For example I am not a gun control advocate but I support marriage equality

I think expanding Medicare into a national system would be a positive move but I do not support minimum wage legislation
Oh thanks I forgot that one, "marriage equality".

I believe in marriage indifference. I don't readily give a sh** who marries who. I only take issue with it when it's touted as an accomplishment of the Obama administration.

Because marriage "equality" was never the goal. The goal was to woo the galactically stupid into voting Democrat. This is explains why the intelligent gays that I know don't honestly care about the issue.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Interesting. None of the usual suspects from the radical far right fringe that post here at C-D voted in this. They seem to dominate the "discussions" but I suppose that they don't really need to identify here.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:49 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I support whatever is most practical for progress (i.e. making things better).

Traditions should only be persevered when there are no better options.
I like this.

I'd add I'm also in favor of getting the most for my money.

Example, AZ loves to use federal programs as a basis for an idea logical battle where the state won't provide the services because taxes are too high or whatever.

But because these are federal programs we're already paying for it and not receiving the service so that our legislature can make a point. That's nonsense and red meat to the stupids who probably need the program.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 AM

638 posts, read 310,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Interesting. None of the usual suspects from the radical far right fringe that post here at C-D voted in this. They seem to dominate the "discussions" but in reality they are a minority.
No it's that intelligent people tend to avoid jumping into pigeon holes.

Think about it. Why would someone proudly state that they follow the sheep that happen to be grazing in the general direction they agree with?

I can't call myself "far-left", because I'm a sane patriot.

I can't call myself "moderate left" because the moderate left of today is the far left of 50 years ago.

I can't call myself "center left" because I do have some strong beliefs about certain things.

I can't call myself "center" for the same reason.

I can't call myself "center right" for the same reason.

I'm not "moderate right" because not all of my beliefs are moderate. I feel strongly about supporting my country.

I'm not "far right" because that is often associated with the fanatically religious, which I'm not.

That leaves "other", because I don't fit in any of the above. Because I've chosen to think for myself while it's still legal.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
Moderate left.

For clarity, I want to explain my thinking on that. Many would use the terms "moderate" and "centrist" interchangeably. In general, I don't think that's wrong to do, but based on the structure of the poll, a clear distinction had to be made. Assuming anyone accepts my logic, I would imagine many would wish they could cast their vote again. But perhaps many thought as I did, but I was simply viewing each option in the poll as a separate point on a left/right spectrum. Moderate simply meant on the left, between the far end and the middle of the scale. It's someone who strongly believes in left wing principles, but is not necessarily entirely anti-right wing positions or willing to use violence to enforce their views. Though technically, the use of violent and free speech can be attached to authoritarian positions, not left/right positions, which I tend to view as purely being in relations to economics. This where that distinction between moderate, centrist, and far-leaning positions becomes difficult.

A centrist, I view, as being less principled. Not saying that as an insult, it's just in my view, the difference between someone who is center left and center right is mostly meaningless as neither are in the slightest uncompromising on the majority of issues. Essentially, whichever side in that debate is more numerous will win out on most issues as the other side will simply agree on most things. Someone who is on the far side, I'm assuming tends to have an authoritarian position. There are exceptions, but their ideal is that everyone would live in their perfect society, typically by force. Far positions usually stem from idealistic circumstance, so this is generally expected. There are the few philosophical far-right/left people who are really only a far-leaning position in theory and typically voter moderate in practice (or not vote at all). A moderate I'd say is neither committed to totally to expecting everyone to agree nor willing to compromise on every single issue without much of a debate.

So moderate left. I think the economy should serve people, meaning workers and employers, tradition for the sake of tradition is irresponsible (though equally, critique for the sake of critique is irresponsible), and that republican form of government and the security of basic rights is essential for a functioning and free society.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Oh thanks I forgot that one, "marriage equality".

I believe in marriage indifference. I don't readily give a sh** who marries who. I only take issue with it when it's touted as an accomplishment of the Obama administration.

Because marriage "equality" was never the goal. The goal was to woo the galactically stupid into voting Democrat. This is explains why the intelligent gays that I know don't honestly care about the issue.
I'm so sorry if I was mistaken. Were gay people allowed to legally marry before 2008 in this country?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:13 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Interesting. I think a lot of people on here don't realize how far left or how far right they really are or are embarrassed to say so. I'm pretty conservative (proudly so) and again, would label myself far right on 90 percent of the issues.
When I talk politics to friends, I'm definitely seen as far right but then again I live in CA where being far left is pretty much seen as middle of the road and centrist. I see our governor as very liberal, but most here see him as a moderate because they tend to be very liberal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies