Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/ny...rls-bronx.html

This story suggests the reverse of your premise. Poor (working) families from cheap cost-of-living areas move to high cost-of-living areas to trigger government benefits when they fall below the poverty line as defined in the high COL areas. Makes perfect sense in a market economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It'll be a little more affordable for many as of today. Minimum wage in AZ went up to $10 at midnight.
Probably. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is how a market economy works. What is the alternative? The West Coast economy is doing very well and everyone keeps moving to these big cities. Seattle has more people trying to buy houses than houses available to buy. The unemployment rate is below 4%. So with that, the cost of housing has skyrocketed. If you own a few houses and are renting them out, are you going to rent them below market or at market rates? If those houses are part of your personal savings, do you want to give up that money? Nobody would.

That leaves smaller cities or areas so far out of the city they can barely be called suburbs. That is not the city's fault. Many say the better choice is to live in rural areas but those rural areas have far fewer jobs, which is why people on disability has absolutely skyrocketed the past few years, with five states in the South the highest in the nation on disability. http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/ At least the poor families are trying rather than just going on disability for the rest of their lives.
Phoenix no longer has suburbs...there's just the city and further out from the city center. So you definitely called this one right.

When Phoenix actually had suburbs, living in the city limits was far cheaper. I've just never seen rents like this before. It's unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Yes. Suburbs are no longer desirable so city prices go up while suburbs go down.
The commutes are smoking people. But at least in NYC, the public trans is really good.

Most of your western cities have miserable public trans systems. Phoenix's is decent at best. It's certainly behind the rapid growth of the population. Waaaaay behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
When I lived in NY I remember an Assemblyman complaining people were moving up from the south for the generous welfare in NY.
That makes no sense to me, and i don't believe it.

The cost of living in NYC itself is gonna eat that up. If you're talking about NY State, i could see how someone could believe that, but i still don't buy it. People move looking for opportunities. It's not easy to move to a new state. And i just can't see someone doing it just for welfare benefits. Sounds to me like the standard denigration of the poor.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I never thought i'd live to see the day when Phoenix rents would go sky high, but 2016 is the LAST YEAR that anyone will find cheap rent in that city. The rate hikes that went into effect this month are astronomical. People are finding that renting a house is far cheaper than renting an apartment. My aunt, who had absolutely no interest in buying a house, decided to buy one in November after her landlord let it be known that he was jacking up her rent by a few hundred dollars. And not just her rent...the whole damn complex's rent. It's astonishing. Never seen anything like it.

I'm now realizing that rents only stayed low in Phoenix because the qualifications to buy a home were a joke. But now that the banks have tightened up, renting is the only option for most people...and the market has finally made its correction.

It's called capitalism.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The impending housing crash should relieve some of the pressure.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is how a market economy works. What is the alternative? The West Coast economy is doing very well and everyone keeps moving to these big cities. Seattle has more people trying to buy houses than houses available to buy. The unemployment rate is below 4%. So with that, the cost of housing has skyrocketed. If you own a few houses and are renting them out, are you going to rent them below market or at market rates? If those houses are part of your personal savings, do you want to give up that money? Nobody would.

That leaves smaller cities or areas so far out of the city they can barely be called suburbs. That is not the city's fault. Many say the better choice is to live in rural areas but those rural areas have far fewer jobs, which is why people on disability has absolutely skyrocketed the past few years, with five states in the South the highest in the nation on disability. http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/ At least the poor families are trying rather than just going on disability for the rest of their lives.

That is how a NIMBY-slow growth-smart growth-no growth market economy works.

End government-imposed supply controls and the private sector will build an adequate supply of housing.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That makes no sense to me, and i don't believe it.

The cost of living in NYC itself is gonna eat that up. If you're talking about NY State, i could see how someone could believe that, but i still don't buy it. People move looking for opportunities. It's not easy to move to a new state. And i just can't see someone doing it just for welfare benefits. Sounds to me like the standard denigration of the poor.
I didn't say NYC did I?

From what I recall most went up to central NY/Leatherstocking region.

I went to college there and anecdotally could confirm that was going on. Utica NY looked like a friggin war zone. Sometimes the streets would just end, and there'd be dirt for a stretch, and then the pavement would reappear. Or there'd be brand new roads to nowhere that got built to use up the state transportation money and "make work".

This is PA, but it's a similar situation.

Judge Rules States Can't Cut Welfare For New Residents - The New York Times

Quote:
A Federal judge has ruled that states may not discriminate against new residents by paying them lower welfare benefits than longtime residents. His decision blocks Pennsylvania's use of a tool given to states by the 1996 welfare law.

Pennsylvania said it wanted to avoid becoming a magnet for poor people.

''We must insure that Pennsylvania resources are available to Pennsylvania residents,'' it told the Federal Government. The state said it wanted to discourage people from ''shopping around for the best benefit.''

Old 01-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
With the skyrocketing rents I expect we will soon see violent protests and possibly a revolt. All it would take for a revolt is the same type of increases in food prices. With the price gouging on rentals and food price increases I see the resurgence of the guillotine in our near future.

The Rent Serf Class in this country is astonishingly inert and docile; maybe they will never wake up to the fleecing they are taking.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's called capitalism.
You don't say.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
The poor go where the safety net is not the lowest cost if living. Travel is an issue so many immigrant poor stay near where they cross the border when they come in.citues that creat more poor by running jobs off or artificially raising lowest entry wage rate kill jobs and add to unemployed poor who stay rather than travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies