Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,774,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I've seen that video. Look at the sources quoted "Lifting the veil on Islam" and other hysterically titled sources. Further if you accept that Muslim populations are growing in Europe, identify the strawman argument being made based on that. So because 1 in 5 people in France will be Muslim, the State will suddenly do away with their laws and constitution and become an Islamic State?
It may take more than 1 in 5 but yes, given a sufficient percentage of Muslims, Western societies will become Islamic. It doesn't threaten me personally, but it certainly is not a desirable outcome IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 06:06 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,602,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It may take more than 1 in 5 but yes, given a sufficient percentage of Muslims, Western societies will become Islamic. It doesn't threaten me personally, but it certainly is not a desirable outcome IMO
Well, it depends on if the dominant Islam is really strict. What could happen is that it will be the step towards modernization of the religion. Maybe mixing with western ideals in Europe will stop the rise of extremism, eventually. It may takes years or decades though.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:08 PM

17,826 posts, read 13,741,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The funny thing is, and I think this is why civilizations fall, is that when you pit people with the "live and let live" attitude up against those with a strong agenda, those apathetic peoples are the ones who get taken over, or destroyed.
Oh, ok. But we have big bad Donald Trump to protect us now. He is sort of like having John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson all rolled up into one.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:09 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,641,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It's not so much the population trends that worry me, but the growing percentage of young Muslims who are taking a more literal interpretaion of Mohammed's commands to kill non-Muslims.
Yes, but when you add the two factors together, it takes on an entirely new dimension. Diesel fuel is not especially dangerous, and neither is ammonium nitrate fertilizer - but you know what happens when you mix the two together. The combination of a rapidly expanding population and an increasingly large number of them becoming jihadists is, in my opinion, a grave threat to the stability of Western society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually, my husband went to school with a larger than most population of Muslim and years ago they told him their vision of caliphate. He didn't believe them. Now he does.
Not fear but to be aware of their motive.
Years ago, I had a number of close Muslim friends, and even dated a Muslim woman for some time. They were wondeerful people, and I had a great deal of respect for them. None of them were radicals, but even so the way they sometimes talked about the destiny of Islam to rule the world set my spidey-senses to tingling in a major way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
I've been watching, and yes, there appears to be some sort of concerted effort to invade non-Mulsim countries. Why else would people who know on some level that they're hated in these places, move there?
This is one of biggest reasons I can never support the Democratic Party. How their leadership can be blind to this, and to all that it potentially means for American society, is mind-boggling to me.

Quote:
The funny thing is, and I think this is why civilizations fall, is that when you pit people with the "live and let live" attitude up against those with a strong agenda, those apathetic peoples are the ones who get taken over, or destroyed.
When people repeatedly say they want to kill you, and confirm their intentions by murdering thousands of people each year, it seems reasonable to take them seriously.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:11 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,326,180 times
At a macro level a little. Those who believe and act upon the extreme version of their religion and cultures are at odds with western civilization

At a micro/personal level, no. I believe God is in charge on a personal level

Many of my friends were Muslim from the ME and they were wonderful people. Whenever something really bad happens in the ME I think of them and wonder are they dead, did they go undercover, or are they going along to get along?

And I agree, even my moderate friends believed that Islam was superior

Dangerous times

Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,956,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oh, ok. But we have big bad Donald Trump to protect us now. He is sort of like having John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson all rolled up into one.
Is this like the Dems thinking Keith Ellison can renew the party?

Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,962,984 times
Quote:
This video was made in 2008. Imagine how much the world has changed even since then.
No, I do not, because for one there is no worldwide rise in Islam. If we were in a war with Islam there would be a Billion Muslims attacking the rest of the world, they are no,t nor will they be, attacking us, facts can be your friend, find them.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Like stealing from the rich and distributing to the eternally stupid and lazy?
I don't worry about that either. And i'm certainly not gonna steal from anyone just to give the proceeds to YOU.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:17 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,417,959 times
In Austin, I don't feel threatened by Muslims. When I lived in NYC and my city was attacked and many were murdered, including a good friend, by two airplanes hijacked by Muslim terrorists and later there were two failed terrorist attacks by Muslim idiots, yes I did. I was in the WTC dozens and dozens of times for work and so was my spouse. We weren't in the WTC towers on 9/11 and could have been, easily could have been. We had US military jets fly over our heads for days, saw the smoke billowing from lower Manhattan, mourned with our friends who lost loved ones. This changed us. This experience would change any normal person.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-01-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 06:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 488,451 times
Well, they took/were given western Europe and Scandinavia, so somewhat yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies