Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 PM

72,868 posts, read 62,315,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Is it any wonder why so many Americans are so heavily medicated? Is it any wonder that Americans are, on average, less happy than countries like Norway or Denmark, or even Canada? It should surprise no one the popularity Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump saw. America just isn't as good as it used to be. That's not to say some things aren't better; certainly they are. But as a whole, it's not better. America has become cruel and mechanical.
Things is, it is what it is. Things have changed. The America of today has more people than ever and is more competitive.

No politician can "Make America Great Again". No one can afford to be slackers and still have some semblance of success. Technology has changed. Automation has made many jobs obsolete. Cost of living makes things more difficult.

Those other nations that are "more happy" have far less people than the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:29 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
A stepson tried it here. It was....not the best. A serious lack of access to personal hygiene was a issue. Also poor planning. He could have gotten a cheap gym membership that had multiple gyms, and showers. But looking the part was part of the process as well in order to get money via begging.

And....its much different then in the past. Wander into town, find work, wander away after a bit. People would hire you on the spot.

Today? Background checks, employment verification, interviews, etc etc.

And very few rent rooms weekly at competitive prices. Its now first, last, and deposit, or very inflated rates. Camping is discouraged far more. And fees are in place. And theres a LOT of dangerous folks out there on the road.

Just existing in any way is expensive. Get a fine for something? If you dont have the money that $49 fine can turn into thousands. (Not kidding).

Its a unwilling choice, not a lifestyle that could be enjoyed anymore,

Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,368,098 times
I wasn't around back then but I do get the feeling that things were different.
Things were a lot cheaper even inflation adjusted .
I imagine it wasn't super easy to bum it but probably easier .

It doesn't sound like massive student debt was really a thing .
A college degree or multiple degrees weren't as important for many fields it seems .

It was a less globalized world and Americans weren't competing as much with other countries as they are now .
The internet and technology has been good in many ways but it can also be viewed as having changed things negatively .

Old 01-01-2017, 11:39 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I bummed around Europe ( mostly France) for 8 months last year. I surf maybe 3 to 4 times a week and... I live ( and own a home) about 4 blocks from the beach. Haven't had a job since November 2016.
Can you adopt me? I'm house broken.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I bummed around Europe ( mostly France) for 8 months last year. I surf maybe 3 to 4 times a week and... I live ( and own a home) about 4 blocks from the beach. Haven't had a job since November 2016.
Are you younger ? Did you have a high paying job and then retired early ? Any family inheritance ?
Would be great to hear more if you are willing to share .

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,498,942 times
I wouldn't necessarily say it's harder. It's different.

My wife and I have been "bumming around" the world since October (and we'll do so until July). I haven't had a legit job since 2013.

The difference is, we've found plenty of work that can be done wherever we are on the internet. And now with lodging like couchsurfing and Airbnb, it really makes things easier.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:47 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,498,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Those other nations that are "more happy" have far less people than the USA.
This statement is not true either. I've spent 1 year in Australia and New Zealand. They work REALLY hard. They can't afford not to work, as the cost of living is higher there.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:47 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,555,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think COL is forcing people to be more creative in leeching off of others.

e.g. I rented a room from a drunk who paid house rent to his out-of-town buddy. The drunk lived in the house for free by renting out rooms at a price high enough to cover his house rent, plus a surplus. When I moved in he was collecting unemployment benefits. As a trade union member, he did not have to actively look for work because that was supposedly a responsibility of the union. He used his full 99 weeks of unemployment and then got a 50% VA disability benefit. Then he discovered he could get more money on SS disability and switched to that.

After that I rented a room from a guy who also pays house rent to an absentee landlord, and lives in the house for free by charging higher room rents.
I tried this idea for a few years in my younger days. But it just doesn't work out as simply as that. I ended up, paying about 60% of the rent and utilities. Many housemates skipped-out owing money, others left without notice and put a gap in my incoming rent. Sometimes, having three or four others around became so annoying, that I didn't even want to rent all the rooms. It is not easy being a landlord-in-residence, because you have to be responsible for everything the roomers do and keep things organized and functional. I had all the responsibility I wanted on my regular job, so I turned the place over to a couple of the roomers, who were eager to make the same mistake I had.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:55 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you younger ? Did you have a high paying job and then retired early ? Any family inheritance ?
Would be great to hear more if you are willing to share .
4 blocks to the beach in SM?

I'm guessing he's robbbing 3 banks daily just to remain afloat.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say it's harder. It's different.

My wife and I have been "bumming around" the world since October (and we'll do so until July). I haven't had a legit job since 2013.

The difference is, we've found plenty of work that can be done wherever we are on the internet. And now with lodging like couchsurfing and Airbnb, it really makes things easier.
It sounds like you are living the digital nomad lifestyle .
I'm guessing you have pretty strong tech skills ?

There seem to be more people doing this now with high speed internet being more common although overall I'm sure it's a tiny percentage of the population .
It does sound like a lot of fun .

https://blog.todoist.com/2015/02/05/...mad-lifestyle/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies