Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times

Advertisements

American People Concerned President-elect Trump's cabinet picks won't receive proper vetting as GOP plans overlapping confirmation hearings

Quote:
...Republicans have scheduled confirmation hearings for eight different cabinet picks from Tuesday through Thursday, with six alone on Wednesday. That makes it tough for even some of the more controversial picks to get much attention.

...The move on behalf of Trump — who will be giving his first press conference as President-elect on Wednesday as well — will make it impossible for a number of senators to attend the full hearings of all the committees they serve on.

“To do them all together is unacceptable. We need to spread them out because we've got to make sure the American people gets to know these people and perceives what they're made of,” Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) told the Daily News.

The former Dem Vice-Presidential candidate said he's on committees that will vet six different nominees — and is worried overlapping hearings will mean he won't be able to fully vet Trump's candidates to run major government agencies. ...
GOP plans expedited hearings to confirm Trump cabinet picks - NY Daily News

This is concerning, why this?

Why prevent an appropriate vetting for people who are slotted to run major government agencies?

Why the 'hostile takeover'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Nothing I see that article says anything about the concerns of the "American People". It's just quotes from Democrat politicians.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
American People Concerned President-elect Trump's cabinet picks won't receive proper vetting as GOP plans overlapping confirmation hearings

Why prevent an appropriate vetting for people who are slotted to run major government agencies?

What is the 'hostile takeover'?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:

Good Lord, have you read about these cabinet picks? Of course, they don't want folks to get a good look at them.

Rick Perry has made it clear he wants to abolish the Dept. of Energy (or he would have made it clear if he could have recalled the word "Energy"). This guy with his Ag degree from Texas A&M will be replacing a nuclear physicist from Stanford to head up the department that provides oversight on our nuclear power plants.

As an added bonus, Perry is on the board of directors of Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the controversial project near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation.

Rex Tillerson is slated for Secretary of State. He at least seems to have his wits about him. Always a plus. He knows a lot about Russia. In fact, received the Order of Friendship from Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2013.

By strange coincidence, he's also the chief executive of ExxonMobile which stands to make billions if (or should we say when) the sanctions are dropped.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-06-2017 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-06-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
What is the 'hostile takeover'?
You have Military experience, no? & are at least somewhat familiar with power dynamics, yes?

Quote:
...The basis for shock and awe was derived from Sun Tzu and Clausewitz. As twice former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld observed, the driving idea for shock and awe was to get people to do what we wished or to stop doing what we did not want them to do.

...Shock and awe used both positive (financial or other) and negative (coercive) incentives in applying this psychological approach for affecting will and perception. This of course is what Clausewitz meant in arguing that war was a "contest of wills" and an "admixture of policy with other means." ...
Vladimir Putin's mastery of 'shock and awe' makes for frightful ploys - UPI.com

Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good Lord, have you read about these cabinet picks? Of course, they don't want Americans to get a good look at them.

Rick Perry has made it clear he wants to abolish the Dept. of Energy (or he would have made it clear if he could have recalled the word "Energy"). This guy with his Ag degree from Texas A&M will be replacing a nuclear physicist from Stanford to head up the department that provides oversight on our nuclear power plants.

As an added bonus, Perry is on the board of directors of Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the controversial project near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation.

Rex Tillerson is slated for Secretary of State. He at least seems to have his wits about him. Always a plus. He knows a lot about Russia. In fact, received the Order of Friendship from Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2013.

By strange coincidence, he's also the chief executive of ExxonMobile which stands to make billions if (or should we say when) the sanctions are dropped.

I gotcha my friend. Folks who are ready, willing & able to think for themselves get the picture.

Authoritarian followers? Not so much - they seem to prefer to be told what to think.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Shock and awe went into overdrive when Trump won the election.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
You have Military experience, no? & are at least somewhat familiar with power dynamics, yes?

Vladimir Putin's mastery of 'shock and awe' makes for frightful ploys - UPI.com
Yes and I'm familiar with both. However per the original article I don't see how it relates to cabinet positions. My brain could still be froze from running sprints in negative windchill however.

If it's hyperbole due to displeasure with the nominees, I can understand. I just didn't connect that to shock and awe. I'm a literalist except in humor and writing to a sig. other.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:10 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

Gee, another mis-leading statement, "American People Concerned"

I browsed the article and the ONLY ones I saw concerned were dem politicians.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many of Obama's picks when he first won the presidency, were confirmed BEFORE he took office and how many were confirmed within the first week of his Presidency?

Acting like a Monday morning quarterback, I would say MANY of Obama's picks should NOT have been confirmed based on their actions when they took their offices.
The dems do this ALL the time.

They DO things and when they are in the majority then whine and cry like little babies when the repubs do the EXACT SAME THINGS, from holding up judge nominations to changing the rules of the Senate etc., now this.

Then they wonder how they have lost 9 HUNDRED political seats in recent years.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:15 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good Lord, have you read about these cabinet picks? Of course, they don't want Americans to get a good look at them.

"Good Lord, have you read about these cabinet picks? Of course, they don't want Americans to get a good look at them."

The people who LOST the election don't want them. What a surprise.

As Obama said, Elections have consequences. We won, get used to it"

I'll edit your post a tad, Good Lord, have you read about these cabinet picks? Of course, Americans want them confirmed which is 1 reason why Trump WON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies