Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I just shoot the squirrels.......................
Don't get caught! They are classified as wildlife in most states and the Game Commission would have something to say about that.

I just have to wait for the Fall hawk migration.

Nature abhors a vacuum and as long as there is food; animals or people will come. That is why border enforcement is needed and people have to understand that there is no reward for breaking our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The only valid point in all of this lies in your views of being "ordered" to do something. You and I know very well that leaving America has always been an option for those harboring your views. But no, here you are acting as though the US government has captured you and is now forcing you to act in a way not consistent with your beliefs.

That is simply a BS position to take in light of the facts surrounding our being a nation of laws, and our opting in on those laws when we decide we want to live here. No one is holding you here, and that speaks volumes about your personal convictions and the necessary strength needed in order to have them provide real direction for you.

I wasn't kidding about Haiti, or any of the other nations where the poor are, in your utopian concept, left to their own devices and the generosity of those who care about them. And in that vein, you should take a good long look a the reality of your assumed outcome. I'll ask straight out--do you see a preponderance of those on the right's anti tax crowd going to Haiti?

Do we see Haitians coming here, and if so why are they coming to this supposed tax hell hole of a country? And further, why are so many from around the globe still coming here? Haven't they heard about the horrors of our tax system? Methinks you could benefit from a little trip to Haiti. Take in the sights and sounds of high individualism, see your notions of voluntary sharing come alive, throw off the oppressive yoke of America, and wallow in a new found freedom from---The other guy.
Ah, the old social contract/love it or leave it stance. They haven't captured us, they just act as if they own us. We're allowed to make our own decisions...unless they decide we aren't.

We don't "opt in" by not moving. It's common to hear that reasoning, but that would mean the Jews consented to the Holocaust by living there. Or take any example you want...if you don't move to a different country, you consent to whatever people decide to do to you by way of the state.

It's also not utopian to support the idea of live and let live. It's utopian to think that we can force some system on everyone that will cure poverty in any sustainable way.

Lastly, Haiti vs the U.S. - the difference isn't taxes. The difference is mainly that economic conditions in a free market lead to the amassing of wealth in that society. We built up the economy through capitalism, which allows people to even consider all these taxes and regulations in the first place. Poor counties can't afford to do that because people will starve (which is why so many would rather work in a sweatshop than the alternatives). Poverty is the default condition if you don't work to create wealth.

We became a rich country and started to abandon what got us there. It's like a larger scale version of the rich kid who thinks money is infinite and ends up running a business into the ground.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
From reading this board, it seems that many on the right have decided that certain groups are their enemies, and anything that harms their enemies is a positive to them. I've seen numerous posts to the effect of "I'm just happy the libs are mad" or "I don't really care one way or another, but anything that pisses off the SJW is good". This feeds directly into what the left already believes about many on the right: you will act against your own interest to punish others.

American liberalism seems to be focused on making sure people have what they need, whereas American conservatism seems to be focused on making sure that no one gets what they have not earned. While many one the right really do believe in small government and free markets, pettiness seems to be the driving force behind Republican voters.
I think a growing group of mainly white men in the country are becoming radicalized. Think about it. This is how radicalization begins. Hatred for "the others." An unwillingness to accept differing viewpoints. No compromises. Unwillingness to accept any behavior that the radical deems inappropriate behavior, in his opinion. An insistence that others do and say what he, the radical, wants. Attracted to authoritarian leaders. Likes the idea of bullying tactics. Thinks the end justifies the means. Everything is black and white...no gray areas. Against a free press. Tendency not to accept women as full, real human beings instead of just in the role of mother and sex object. No full acceptance of minorities.

This is different for our democracy, IMO, and needs to be watched. Our democracy was founded on a variety of opinions, and the freedom to express those opinions. On governance. On compromise as the way to arrive at a fair way to run the country.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:07 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
From reading this board, it seems that many on the right have decided that certain groups are their enemies, and anything that harms their enemies is a positive to them. I've seen numerous posts to the effect of "I'm just happy the libs are mad" or "I don't really care one way or another, but anything that pisses off the SJW is good". This feeds directly into what the left already believes about many on the right: you will act against your own interest to punish others.

American liberalism seems to be focused on making sure people have what they need, whereas American conservatism seems to be focused on making sure that no one gets what they have not earned. While many one the right really do believe in small government and free markets, pettiness seems to be the driving force behind Republican voters.
hahahaha waaahhh you're mean. Like this matters.

It's always about policy. Which was left out in your post.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:

Yes. You've pretty much read the general temperature of this one correctly.

Not all conservatives feel that way, but most of them don't seem to post here as much as the gloaters.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
"Unrelenting pettiness" is a good phrase.

"Savage holocaust of spite, hatred, and greed" is one I just made up, but it is also an accurate descriptor of Republicans.

One black president, and 8 years later they're still infuriated.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think a growing group of mainly white men in the country are becoming radicalized. Think about it. This is how radicalization begins. Hatred for "the others." An unwillingness to accept differing viewpoints. No compromises. Unwillingness to accept any behavior that the radical deems inappropriate behavior, in his opinion. An insistence that others do and say what he, the radical, wants. Attracted to authoritarian leaders. Likes the idea of bullying tactics. Thinks the end justifies the means. Everything is black and white...no gray areas. Against a free press. Tendency not to accept women as full, real human beings instead of just in the role of mother and sex object. No full acceptance of minorities.

This is different for our democracy, IMO, and needs to be watched. Our democracy was founded on a variety of opinions, and the freedom to express those opinions. On governance. On compromise as the way to arrive at a fair way to run the country.
Unable to accept unConstitutional behavior that infringes on the rights of the individual.

Go falsely play your sexist, racist card elsewhere.

btw We're a Republic. That's something else you've got wrong.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
"Unrelenting pettiness" is a good phrase.

"Savage holocaust of spite, hatred, and greed" is one I just made up, but it is also an accurate descriptor of Republicans.

One black president, and 8 years later they're still infuriated.
Because the economy is weak and we're still in never ending wars in the Middle East. That's why honest people are infuriated.
Obama is a bald faced liar whose word is no good. Nothing to do with skin color. Everything to do with failed big government policies.

Keep falsely playing the race card if it helps you sleep at night.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I recall people on the right accusing him of being a Muslim.. A terrorist sympathizer... A communist. I recall them blaming Obama for the economy before the man even took office. I recall the GOP opposing all his policies just "because."
Yet, there were no protest, safe places or a President going out of office being a spoiled child.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:

"he unrelenting pettiness of the American Right"

NO BODY is MORE petty then the left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies