Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,313,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Health care is a right but you don't have the right to make me pay for the health care of other people.
If health care is a right, but we can't make people pay-who pays when it's something beyond what any individual can do?

What do you do when your kid has deadly cancer and you work on a ranch making average income? I'll tell you what you do, you look for any lifeline and pray the insurance doesn't cancel on you. Those companies like to do those things. You need regulation and pooled risk, enforced by the government, to ensure sick people get coverage.

I just don't get people like you who talk so tough but may have never hit a rough patch in their life. It's easy to be uncaring if you've never seen true hardship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 PM

6,004 posts, read 3,708,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No, I am paying my own way for road use by paying a fuel excise tax. My taxes pay for police and I had paid to have my well drilled .

So I pay my way. Health care is a right but you don't have the right to make me pay for the health care of other people.

Why I have no health insurance. I refuse to pay for other people's stuff and my tax credits zero out any fine.
So your taxes alone pay for the roads and police in your area? No one else pays taxes on those things, just you?

Good god you righties are dense.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 PM

6,004 posts, read 3,708,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If health care is a right, but we can't make people pay-who pays when it's something beyond what any individual can do?

What do you do when your kid has deadly cancer and you work on a ranch making average income? I'll tell you what you do, you look for any lifeline and pray the insurance doesn't cancel on you. Those companies like to do those things. You need regulation and pooled risk, enforced by the government, to ensure sick people get coverage.

I just don't get people like you who talk so tough but may have never hit a rough patch in their life. It's easy to be uncaring if you've never seen true hardship.
It's no use trying to reason with him. Or any of them for that matter. That's why we need to take matters into our own hands to fix this mess regardless of what they think.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,840,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump is backpeddling in high gear on Obamacare. Today he went from "repeal" to "be careful". He gets it. I'll give him credit for that. Republicans are going to own this thing now. When rates rise as they always do, it will be the GOP who is blamed. If millions lose health care because the subsidies are ended, that too, will be on them. And recent polls show most Americans don't want to repeal Obamacare anyway. But then, they did not want Trump to be President either.
In the "60 Minutes" interview with Leslie Stahl, Trump said that keeping coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and young people who are on their parents' plan is important, and he added it will add cost. So I agree that he gets it to a degree. However, what I think he gets is that, should this backfire, he'll be blamed for its failure and Trump hates to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The GOP has boxed themselves in. They have promised their fanbase that they will repeal.

The most hated part of Obamacare is the mandate, and the GOP will be lambasted by their base if it is not repealed.

As soon as they repeal the mandate, the dominoes will fall and the entire house will collapse. Lol. Ergo - Trumpcare.
Even with the mandate, insurance companies are dropping coverage. Their main goal as corporations is to make a profit and care more about shareholders than policyholders. That's why we need to get for-profit companies out of our health care system.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,125,996 times
Quote:
See if this looks familiar to you, tough guy.

"Who are you to tell me I have to pay for police protection? I despise those who can't or won't take care of themselves."
I can protect myself. My local sheriffs deputies are usually by the reservation busting drunken indians driving.

But my taxes pay their salary.

Nice try.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
So your taxes alone pay for the roads and police in your area? No one else pays taxes on those things, just you?

Good god you righties are dense.
I said I pay my own way. Learn to read.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM

38,972 posts, read 50,909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
In the "60 Minutes" interview with Leslie Stahl, Trump said that keeping coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and young people who are on their parents' plan is important, and he added it will add cost. So I agree that he gets it to a degree. However, what I think he gets is that, should this backfire, he'll be blamed for its failure and Trump hates to lose.
Everyone wants to keep "the good parts". But without the mandate there is no way to make it possible unless the government pays a king's ransom to the insurers to cover the losses they will sustain on pre-existing conditions, no coverage caps, not to mention subsidies for middle and lower income insureds. There is a reason that the GOP has not come up with a viable plan to replace after eight years.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I have the ability to pay for my own health care. My plane is valued in excess of a million. I can pay my own way. I worked hard for what I have and no one will leech off of me.

Pay for your own stuff like I do.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,076,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Sure. I have no problem with that. If you have a logical way to figure out how a median income earning household ($52k) could afford a cancer treatment like a combo of prescribed immunotherapies like ipilimumab and nivolumab (~$1 million per year) I'm all ears.
You still don't understand. Were you dropped as a baby? Healthcare quality is income determined. If you are wealthy, you can certainly afford top notch treatment. It's obvious!
If you are poor, you are not entitled to $$$millions in treatments. Just the basics. Obvious again!
Some bum with rotting teeth in Seattle's Steinbrueck Park should have the same medical choices as Bill Gates? That's plain stupid!

Who decided I have to pay for someone else's medical bill? What wacko-world did that philosophy come from?
If you choose not to have insurance, no problem. We'll just find a nice suburban couple to send the bill to. Let someone else pay. Or rather, let's force someone else to pay.

I'd like a 27-foot Everglades Center Console. Its only $200K. Should someone pay for that?

Leftists, fasten your seatbelts! Times are changing.

Last edited by finalmove; 01-04-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You still don't understand. Were you dropped as a baby? Healthcare quality is income determined. If you are wealthy, you can certainly afford top notch treatment. It's obvious!
If you are poor, you are not entitled to $$$millions in treatments. Just the basics. Obvious again!
Some bum with rotting teeth in Seattle's Steinbrueck Park should have the same medical choices as Bill Gates? That plain stupid!

Who decided I have to pay for someone else's medical bill? What wacko-world did that philosophy come from?
If you choose not to have insurance, no problem. We'll just find a nice suburban couple to send the bill to. Let someone else pay. Or rather, let's force someone else to pay.

I'd like a 27-foot Everglades Center Console. Its only $200K. Should someone pay for that?

Leftists, fasten your seatbelts! Times are changing.
Exactly. Life is unfair. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies