Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 AM

1,194 posts, read 728,448 times

Advertisements

I recently spoke to student that was attending a college I had gone to myself back in the mid 70's. According to this student the tuition was $44,000.00. When I attended the same college in 1976 it was approx $1000.00. At that time I was making around $2.00 per hr. min wage and I could easily afford to pay tuition. However fast forward today theres no way I could afford to pay the current tuition at min wage. So over time what went wrong. Was it too much government involvement or other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:21 AM

451 posts, read 236,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I recently spoke to student that was attending a college I had gone to myself back in the mid 70's. According to this student the tuition was $44,000.00. When I attended the same college in 1976 it was approx $1000.00. At that time I was making around $2.00 per hr. min wage and I could easily afford to pay tuition. However fast forward today theres no way I could afford to pay the current tuition at min wage. So over time what went wrong. Was it too much government involvement or other?
Don't blame the gov't. Blame the college student.

Yes, tuition has gone up but there are remedies.

Go to your instate school and pay instate tuition. I am sure that the above $44,000 cost was at an out of state school or a private university.

Get excellent grades in high school and apply for every academic/athletic scholarship/grant that you can find to help pay for college. And start looking early in your junior year of high school.

If the school is close enough to home, live at home. No, you do not HAVE to live on campus "to experience" the full college life. Save money on room and board.

Work outside of school. After classes, over the summer, over the Christmas break (which is usually 5 weeks). Work work work. And then work some more to help pay for college. Deliver pizzas, wash dishes, whatever you need to do. And don't complain. You will have no social life. Your college years will consist of you going to class and work. That's it. Welcome to the real world. No parties, no spring break vacations in Cancun. Work your butt off and do not take out huge amounts of student loans. These loans will be like an anchor around your neck for many years to come.

Select a major which will actually give you skills and render you marketable once you graduate.

This isn't the 80's where a liberal arts degree in psychology or sociology is "attractive" to employers looking for a "well rounded" college graduate. Today employers want college graduates with specific skill sets who need minimal training and can immediately have a positive impact for their employer. College students graduating today with BA's in psychology and sociology wind up as "baristas" at your local Starbucks. And I can assure you that Starbucks does not require a college degree to work as a barista.

It's all about choices.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 AM

7,817 posts, read 6,408,419 times
I'd blame student loans.

If I ran a business and banks were giving people loans to purchase my product, I would jack up the price as much as I could get away with.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 AM

59,342 posts, read 27,505,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Who Do You Blame For The Cost Rise?

Why do you use the word "blame"?

IMO, costs have gone up due to supply and demand. just about every parent now pushes little Johnny and Mary to go to college, whether they are prepared to go or not.

Colleges have to meet the demand.

"Demand" goes up, "supply" is down. A normal market reaction.

Second, IMO, the fed getting more involved in student loans, again way too many kids should NOT be going to college but, Uncle Sam will give just about anybody a loan.

I think private funding institutions would be a more careful who they give loans to.

Little Johnny with a C average in general studies should NOT be give a loan for college.

MOST kids should do 2 years at a Community College to get themselves acclimated to going to college.

"n the past 20 years, more than 31 million students have enrolled in college, only to leave without a degree or certificate, according to a report by the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). And a third of these students dropped out of school before the start of their sophomore year."

"As many as 1 in 3 first-year students won't make it back for sophomore year."

Old 01-04-2017, 05:55 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
State governments struggling with falling revenues during the recession and ill-advised cuts in taxes to wealthy and corporate interests led to cutbacks to funding of state universities. Schools raised tuition and fees to cover the shortfall.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 AM

45,288 posts, read 26,536,890 times
Govt subsidized student loans.
Anyone catch on yet that whenever the govt subsidizes a market segment prices rise? See health care and home ownership for further examples.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
State governments struggling with falling revenues during the recession and ill-advised cuts in taxes to wealthy and corporate interests led to cutbacks to funding of state universities. Schools raised tuition and fees to cover the shortfall.
This plus federally backed and guaranteed student loans and you have our current predicament.

Some say go instate, some states have instate tuition at over 11k right now. A full time minimum wage job pays between 14-16k. You wouldn't be able to survive on a minimum wage job and pay tuition even at public colleges.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,694,197 times
The average college president's salary is $264K
College President Salaries by education, experience, location and more - Salary.com

I don't blame student loans, the professors (many of whom are foreign and you can't understand them). The cost increase lies in the administration salaries and costs.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:29 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,366,683 times
Google it.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:36 AM

45,715 posts, read 27,332,929 times
Government inserting itself into the revenue stream of the universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies