Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times

Advertisements

Anyone Can Use Nearly Half The IP Addresses The U.S. Identifies As Russian Hackers

The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation released a report last week for network and website administrators to identify and prevent possible intrusions led by the Russian government. This report, “Grizzly Steppe,” included 876 IPs that the government has associated with Russian hackers. IP addresses are a set of digits which identify an internet user or network.

The Intercept’s Micah Lee reports that 367 IPs of the 876 IPs, 42 percent, are Tor exit nodes. Tor Browser is a software accessible to any individual for download that in part hides your identity by connecting the user through different Tor nodes. So whil, alleged Russian hackers might have been using Tor for their efforts, almost half of the identified IPs associated with Russian hacking could be just a normal internet user.

Lee wrote that he found on his own website an IP address that was associated with Russian hacking, that was a Tor exit node. It included a data request, which Lee said he recognized because he was the “one who made it, using Tor.”

Now I use Tor myself at times.

One time I accidentally accessed my bank account using Tor. They called me within a half an hour about suspicious web activity on my account.

Regardless of that - simple email security, Podesta... that's all it took.

What if the phishing emails contained solicitations about pizza? I guess that's something we will never know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
It's also Russian hackers and NOT Russian government hackers... BIG difference... and intrusions of what nature? Did they hack into zero security websites? A lot of misinformation to make it seem relevant, when it wasn't.... I guess the Russian boogeyman didn't pan out cause the liberals aren't using that Fake News anymore... sore losers... sad what the liberals did to the intelligence... liberals are like poison to a government, tainting everything they touch...

Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Anyone Can Use Nearly Half The IP Addresses The U.S. Identifies As Russian Hackers

The Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation released a report last week for network and website administrators to identify and prevent possible intrusions led by the Russian government. This report, “Grizzly Steppe,” included 876 IPs that the government has associated with Russian hackers. IP addresses are a set of digits which identify an internet user or network.

The Intercept’s Micah Lee reports that 367 IPs of the 876 IPs, 42 percent, are Tor exit nodes. Tor Browser is a software accessible to any individual for download that in part hides your identity by connecting the user through different Tor nodes. So whil, alleged Russian hackers might have been using Tor for their efforts, almost half of the identified IPs associated with Russian hacking could be just a normal internet user.

Lee wrote that he found on his own website an IP address that was associated with Russian hacking, that was a Tor exit node. It included a data request, which Lee said he recognized because he was the “one who made it, using Tor.”

Now I use Tor myself at times.

One time I accidentally accessed my bank account using Tor. They called me within a half an hour about suspicious web activity on my account.

Regardless of that - simple email security, Podesta... that's all it took.

What if the phishing emails contained solicitations about pizza? I guess that's something we will never know...
I can assure you that to trace this back to Russia, particularly, Russian government, is a mission impossible UNLESS that either the Russian government sponsored hackers are utterly incompetent or the Obama administration has access to spies who in turn have access to the said Russian government sponsored hacking activities.

The Russian government sponsored hackers must be stupid enough to do the following:
1. Use their own government computers to do the hacking.
2. Use their office email servers to communicate while having their office emails forwarded back to their personal emails which got hacked by the Americans (sounds familiar right?)
3. Leave pictures of themselves on the hacked computers.
4. Brag about it on their Facebook
5. Forgot to clear all the system logs after they are done - equivalent of not wiping your fingerprints off the murder weapon or not wearing gloves.
6. Use hacking tools specifically made by the Russian government.

You get the point.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-04-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies