Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just like Iran and Saudi.
Well those silly Muslims worship a false god, don't ya know? Or course those countries are bad. We need to put evangelical Christians in charge of America, and the TRUE God will bless us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well those silly Muslims worship a false god, don't ya know? Or course those countries are bad. We need to put evangelical Christians in charge of America, and the TRUE God will bless us.

Like, with hurricanes and stuff.

After all, the christian right is all hardcore tRump followers.

Their god obviously approves.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"as god doesn't exist"

When you make a claim, you have to prove it.
Burden of proof fallacy. The onus is on the one who made a claim first to back it up.

And it is self-evident by the thread title who that was.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:01 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Burden of proof fallacy. The onus is on the one who made a claim first to back it up.

What do you need to convince you that God exists?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:01 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What a huge surprise. Yeah plants need CO2. Below 150 PPM most of them die especially C3 plants. Ironically it may be a boon for plants since humanity arrived since otherwise carbon is trapped in the earth crust over time. However if CO2 will not kill us all, politician and monopolists can't save us.

CO2 Science
[SIZE=4][SIZE=2]Lootens and Heursel (1998) reported that two Phalaenopsis hybrids grown at an atmospheric CO[SIZE=1]2[/SIZE] concentration of 950 ppm exhibited net photosynthetic rates that were over 80% greater than those displayed by control plants grown at 350 ppm CO[SIZE=1]2[/SIZE]. Similarly, pineapple plants grown at 700 ppm CO[SIZE=1]2[/SIZE] exhibited photosynthetic rates that were more than 80% [/SIZE][/SIZE]
I'm kinda old, but back when I was in about the 6-7-or 8th grade , around 1947 or so, we did an experiment in class involving flooding a plant in a jar with CO2 and guess what, that sucker really outgrew the reference plant. There ain't nothing new.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Honestly there are other problems with it as well. Authority (of this that or the other God) is often invoked to support some argument or other - but that only works if the people you are trying to convince accept that authority as valid. For an argument like "God says X so we should do X" to be valid the authority of the source must be recognized by the people that the person making the argument is trying to convince.

Forget recognizing the authority though, existence of the entity itself cannot even be evidenced. With no way to prove the entity exists at all, and no willingness on the part of the people attempting to use the entity in fallacious arguments to define any kind of constraints that would allow for meaningful testing or evidence to be produced, the points are just dead in the water.

Yet the same flawed authoritarian arguments will be made ad nauseum because it is really all they can do.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
First define what God you are talking about and some basic attributes of that God and then I can take a shot at giving you some more detailed proof requirements.

We talking about the God of the Christian Bible? Literally interpreted or open to allegory?

Generally speaking, literal interpretations are already invalidated by many overlapping fields of science, and allegorical interpretations are most often left super nebulous and amorphous so that they can simply adapt to any changes by "changing their interpretation".

In order to define proper proof criteria we must be able to define what it is exactly we are trying to prove.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 09-14-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Evidence.

For the past few thousand years, it's only been this:

Believer: "There's a god(s)!"

Skeptic: "I don't believe you."

Believer: "Well, somebody told me there was!"

Skeptic: "I don't believe him, either."

And that's where it still stands today.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Evidence.

For the past few thousand years, it's only been this:

Believer: "There's a god(s)!"

Skeptic: "I don't believe you."

Believer: "Well, somebody told me there was!"

Skeptic: "I don't believe him, either."

And that's where it still stands today.
Believer: "But it's in this book! And the book says that the book is true!"

Skeptic: "Well I don't believe the book either."

Believer: "Heretic, you will burn!"

Skeptic: *cough* "did I say 'don't' whoops I completely meant to say I totally believe that book, yea! Totally!" *starts running away*

Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
I just asked the question to see what requirements you needed, to believe that God exists.

I probably should not have brought it up to not derail the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies