Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

I never get past a vert mild annoyance level when dealing with bad grammar. Same goes when people don't paragraph properly and you open a thread and it's a wall of words. I just close the thread and don't bother reading it, but again, not hostile, just not going to bother.

As long as the typo's aren't so bad you can't read a post I'm usually fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 05:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I'll notice errors, but I don't feel the nead to point them out. Spelling errers are forgiveable, but bad grammer and usige are tell tail signs that you didn't learn good in school.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
let's not discount that those that butcher our language are just stupid, hell they don't even have the ESL excuse that the same seem to often get so worked up about

Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I can admit that ever since I won the Cleveland Press Spelling Bee for my school when I was in 5th grade, I have been very critical of people who can't spell properly. I usually don't point it out, but if you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're" I won't take your post as seriously because I immediately assume that you are stupid.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
but if you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're" I won't take your post as seriously because I immediately assume that you are stupid.
I just use the word "there" for everything, makes it easier to remember.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I never get past a vert mild annoyance level when dealing with bad grammar. Same goes when people don't paragraph properly and you open a thread and it's a wall of words. I just close the thread and don't bother reading it, but again, not hostile, just not going to bother.

As long as the typo's aren't so bad you can't read a post I'm usually fine.
Same here. As long as it's not to horrible, I'm fine with it. What torques me more is when someone writes a finely thought out comment of several paragraphs, with lots of good meaty thought provoking ideas....and some dip **** replies, "you misspelled xxxxx".

You know, at that point, who the hell cares. If the only thing you got out of these well thought out comments was a spelling error, just move on, please. Most of the rest of us realize you don't have to be a perfect speller to have good thoughts worthy of others reading them.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Errors don't irritate me at all.

But I still correct them.

Someone may learn something.

Like I do, when someone corrects my errors. Perhaps we should study those who take offense when they are rightly corrected.
Or better yet, study people who look for studies that reinforce their own silly beliefs.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Damn right!!!

I generally let typos and mistypes go as I do them myself when "internetting." But, darn, I just had to call out someone who was insulting someone else. They were trying to tell someone they were a "moron" (you know, stupid/dumb person) but told them they were a "maroon." I know, I know...autocorrect. But I used to see this all the time before autocorrect was so prevalent. Lots of people don't know how to spell moron and often use "maroon." It's just ironic to be a moron when you are trying to insult someone for being a moron.
LOL

I also tend to let mistakes go, unless it's really funny and then I will poke fun. Like, someone in another thread put "dessert" instead of "desert" so I said, in response to a very long post, "mm, dessert," and that was it. But I'm far from a grammar Nazi. Using phones and even many laptops nowadays, the autocorrect feature has gotten us all at some point. Nine times out of 10, errors I post are a result of autocorrect and I may not even notice them until much later.

Autocorrect just doesn't like some actual words. Like vlog for example.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I think it's quite the opposite. Those who get all butthurt about someone letting them know how something is spelled, (when it's obviously not a typo) are the ones who are rigid and unbending. They freak out, go in to hysterics, and write posts about how "mean" the "grammar nazis" are.

I am pretty laid back, but I can only take so much of someone writing "should OF" or "pacific" when they mean "specific", etc.

There's "being laid back" and then there's "being an idiot who doesn't want to learn". I hold no admiration for those who have no desire to learn and better themselves.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I thought the use of the word "maroon" was intended to bypass a forum's censorship filter.
No. I've used it several times and just as katygirl said, it's all because of Bugs Bunny. I especially enjoy using it on YouTube comments when people are insulting each other back and forth. Then they all leap on me for saying "maroon". I find it highly amusing..mainly because they acted exactly as I thought they would.

It's sad that some people did not have Bugs Bunny in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies