Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 AM

35,649 posts, read 21,018,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
dunno. maybe we no longer need ambassadors? Nowadays, Ambassadors are nothing more than appointed donors who attend parties and ceremonies. They used to be extensions of the government when communication wasn't as instantaneous as it is today. Maybe it's time to do away with it considering modern technology.

No its about dominance- the USA has a FOOT in your back door - is he planning on closing the embassies? would NOT surprise me --as he thinks the world should take of itself.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Making such a comparison highlights TDS and the inability to process information in a logical way when Trump lives in the head of liberals.

Obama stays in D.C. so his kid can finish or attend school and there is no outcry from liberals until Trump does it.
This doesn't even make sense?

Obama, a will be private citizen, is free to do as he pleases. Trump, the President, will be sending us the bill so his kid can stay in his posh private school for the semester while simultaneously telling those below him, "sucks to be you but I have a point to make so my base can get riled up."

Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
well, all presidents choose new ambassadors... so all of them, I guess.

Stop and Frisk was effective. Plain and Simple.
Not really. What was effecting in curbing crime in NYC was the rising cost of living, and gangs going out to New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Gentrification was a factor. Or do alot of people forget that NYC borders two other states? Most of the people being stopped and frisked weren't breaking any laws. Alot of racial profiling came from it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2050f55bac51

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d8fbddfd382a

Murder rates were dropping alot before stop and frisk was put into place. And all S&F leads to is violation of the 4th Amendment. Unreasonable Search and Seizure. Benjamin Franklin said that anyone who sacrifices essential liberties for temporary security will get neither.

Well, I don't know how ambassadors are chosen. I figure it works the same way as the military. Being assigned a post.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,462,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Obama is renting a house for a year. What's the issue? He has to live somewhere. He and his family will have SS protection regardless.

Melania and Barron staying in NYC is costing NYC a fortune, and the Feds so far have agreed to only cover 20% of it.

I don't think Melania and Barron will ever move to the WH. Either the Trumps will divorce and that will be the excuse, or they will say Barron is autistic and needs to stick with his current school in NY. And all the Trumpettes will fall over themselves talking about how brave the Trumps are having to deal with Barron's autism.
PC being now out of fashion, is Barron fair game for ridicule?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
The other thing which is very strange is the fact that in many cases being an ambassador is a career, not just one 3 year assignment, so when an ambassador finishes one assignment they are assigned to the next. In this case it seems Trump is firing them all, without new assignments. Why? Some of these guys might have served in US embassies since Reagan admin.

Does he think all ambassadors are Obama's political puppets? Was Jon Huntsman, Jr. Obama's puppet?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,800,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
PC being now out of fashion, is Barron fair game for ridicule?
Saying that someone is autistic is ridiculing them? You and I have very different ideas about that word.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Saying that someone is autistic is ridiculing them? You and I have very different ideas about that word.
he's not autistic so calling him such is considered ridicule.

I only see the obama girls when thy're secretly recorded drinking or smoking weed - i guess that means they are drug addicts/abusers?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 AM

36,454 posts, read 30,806,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, the terms are 3 years, and they certainly do not expire on inauguration day. You won't be able to name any other president who purged all ambassadors on day 1.
For foreign career ambassadors, generally. Presidential appointees expire upon inauguration. They can be dismissed at anytime by the president.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,248,665 times
Someone once said "Elections have consequences".

Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM

27,117 posts, read 13,413,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what? said who? ever did a military move? it's no different- they have personal stuff- items- furnishings and maybe kids in classes- what the f he care? just evict them- 15 day notice-- even we require 30 day notices- in a regualr rental move- - a.h.
I don't think you need to bring much in the way of furniture to Winfield House (the Official UK Residence of the US Ambassador), it is fully furnished already.

As for being moved, you expect it in High Public Office and in the the military, however you can generally claim expenses and most Ambassadors keep their home in the US whilst having an official residence.

Winfield House Interior

Winfield House in Regents Park, London being readied for the 4th July Celebrations.

Link

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-06-2017 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.