Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,374,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No, the US & USSR weren't allies - we (& our allies) were both (all) concerned to defeat Nazi Germany & their allies. The USSR didn't have a choice - the Nazis were breaking down the door & killing everyone in sight, or hauling them off to labor camps, & using them up, & then killing them. For the USSR, it was do or die. The US needed (once the ETO Lowlands fell, & France fell & the BEF had to retreat without its heavy weapons) someone, anyone, to stand & fight the Nazis. The USSR lost armies. They dug new emplacements & lines, & lost more armies. & again & again. & still the USSR formed more armies, stockpiled tanks, arty, ammo. & they came on again.

The limited partnership with the USSR fell apart as UK & US & associated realized the depth of Soviet intelligence penetration. & the Soviet obsession with creating a buffer zone in East Europe, under Soviet control, to prevent another Nazi-style invasion. Stalin was far gone to begin with, to believe that he could cut even a temporary deal with Hitler & the Nazis.
The Soviet deals with the Germans were a stalling tactic designed to buy time for the Russian military to complete it's modernization, which would mean until 1942. They never trusted the Germans. The Soviet invasions of Poland, Finland, and the Baltic states were intended to create buffer zones and secure strategic territory in anticipation of German invasion.
The USA was also in a do or die situation, although not to the extent of the USSR. We were under direct attack in the Far East, including the invasion of US soil in the Phillipines and many other US outposts and the total upending if our position in the Far East, and Hitler and Mussolini had both declared war on the US immediately following Pearl Harbor. We certainly considered our existance to be threatened.
But, i do agree with you..the degree of sacrifice and fortitude exhibited by tge USSR is truly mind boggling. They were certainly the heavy lifters in the war against Germany...something that many in the west dont realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No, the US & USSR weren't allies - we (& our allies) were both (all) concerned to defeat Nazi Germany & their allies. The USSR didn't have a choice - the Nazis were breaking down the door & killing everyone in sight, or hauling them off to labor camps, & using them up, & then killing them. For the USSR, it was do or die. The US needed (once the ETO Lowlands fell, & France fell & the BEF had to retreat without its heavy weapons) someone, anyone, to stand & fight the Nazis. The USSR lost armies. They dug new emplacements & lines, & lost more armies. & again & again. & still the USSR formed more armies, stockpiled tanks, arty, ammo. & they came on again.

The limited partnership with the USSR fell apart as UK & US & associated realized the depth of Soviet intelligence penetration. & the Soviet obsession with creating a buffer zone in East Europe, under Soviet control, to prevent another Nazi-style invasion. Stalin was far gone to begin with, to believe that he could cut even a temporary deal with Hitler & the Nazis.
The Soviet deals with the Germans were a stalling tactic designed to buy time for the Russian military to complete it's modernization, which would mean until 1942. They never trusted the Russians. The Soviet invasions of Poland, Finland, and the Baltic states were intended to create buffer zones and secure strategic territory in anticipation of German invasion.
The USA was also in a do or die situation, although not to the extent of the USSR. We were under direct attack in the Far East, including the invasion of US soil in the Phillipines and many other US outposts and the total upending if our position in the Far East, and Hitler and Mussolini had both declared war on the US immediately following Pearl Harbor. We certainly considered our existance to be threatened.
But, i do agree with you..the degree of sacrifice and fortitude exhibited by tge USSR is truly mind boggling. They were certainly the heavy lifters in the war against Germany...something that many in the west dont realize.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Thin skinned Trump will not be able to control himself when he gets the nuke codes. I seriously doubt if he has any restraint.
Trump is always telling us how smart he is. He is still fighting with his security team. How smart is that?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:49 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
Since Trump always wins, nuclear war is winnable under Trump.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:19 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Thin skinned Trump will not be able to control himself when he gets the nuke codes. I seriously doubt if he has any restraint.
Trump is always telling us how smart he is. He is still fighting with his security team. How smart is that?
We have been trying real hard to kick off the next major war: https://www.thenation.com/article/am...134-countries/. I like their one comment about these secrete wars that we apparently are involved in all the time: "Without a clear picture of where the military’s covert forces are operating and what they are doing, Americans may not even recognize the consequences of and blowback from our expanding secret wars as they wash over the world."

I don't know about you; but I cannot name 134 countries around the world. While I know that in many of these countries we only have military advisors; we still (because of the secrecy) have no idea how many 'hot' wars we are involved in?

My feeling is that Trump will attempt to negotiate first with many countries. If negotiations do not work; then he might take another approach. I feel that we, the US, has to figure out which wars are winnable and which wars are simply none of our business!

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 AM

War is meant to be drawn out over time, to fatten the wallets of the well connected. That's why Bush started Iraq-nam.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:33 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
War is meant to be drawn out over time, to fatten the wallets of the well connected. That's why Bush started Iraq-nam.
And why after 8 years Obama still had men in Iraq, Afghanistan, has bombed twice as many countries, has sent special forces into nearly triple the countries, created more non-combat military bases over seas, lied about Syria to get us involved, etc...

Point taken on Obama.

https://www.stpete4peace.org/obama-fact-sheet

Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And why after 8 years Obama still had men in Iraq, Afghanistan, has bombed twice as many countries, has sent special forces into nearly triple the countries, created more non-combat military bases over seas, lied about Syria to get us involved, etc...

Point taken on Obama.

https://www.stpete4peace.org/obama-fact-sheet
Wait a minute. I thought the right wing talking point is that Obama weakened the military. You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 AM

Nikita Khrushchev once said to the west that "we will bury you". It looks like the west is burying itself.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Wait a minute. I thought the right wing talking point is that Obama weakened the military. You can't have it both ways.
Show me where I ever said he weakened the military, I complain about Obama on many issues out Bushing Bush while the left covers their eyes.

Also some people may be able to imagine a scenario where one could engage the military in more locations, more lies, less of some materials, which weakens it...but that is a complex subject to comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies