Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No we have never had as many employed Americans as we now have.

Total Employment in the United States:
Jan 2008: 138.132 Million Jobs-previous all time high
Feb 2010: 129.733 Million Jobs
Mar 2014: 138.012 Million Jobs
Dec 2016: 145.303 Million Jobs-ALL TIME HIGH

Jan 08-Feb 10: -8.399 Million Net Loss
Feb 10-Mar 14: +8 279 Million Net Gain

So let's make this clear. Our previous peak job count was Jan 2008(138 mln) and then the recession led to 8.4 million jobs lost.

Barack Obama entered the White House when jobs losses were mounting a record pace, and he had to grow 8 million jobs FIRST just to break even with our previous jobs high-Obama broke even in Mar 2014, gaining 8.279 Million jobs from the bottom of the recession in Feb 2010.

After breaking even, Obama's America added yet another 7 million jobs.

So from the depths of the recession til now, THIS IS BARACK OBAMA'S CONTRIBUTION TO THE EMPLOYMENT OF THE UNITED STATES:
Feb 10-Dec 16: +15.570 Million Net Gain

This^ is how history will judge our 44th president. He led the US out of the worst recession in decades and presided over the creation of 15 million jobs. Are things perfect? No not at all, but we are in a much better position at this time than we were when Obama took office.

Source for jobs data:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PAYEMS

Again you are using nominal figures.

The population is always increasing and that must be accounted for when making claims such as yours.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 AM

Default More Thread Fail!

Quote:
Nope. Barack Obama took office in 2009. Median Income began tanking under George W. Bush.

From YOUR link:

Real Median Household Income:
2009 $54,988
2015 $56,516

Wow!

Surprised you wanted to go down this road...well, OK!

2015 is the only year in which median family income under Obama exceeds any year under Bush.

To put it another way, excepting Obama's high water mark in 2015, every year was better when Bush was president.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Again you are using nominal figures.

The population is always increasing and that must be accounted for when making claims such as yours.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/
Incorrect. Im posting raw numbers, not percentages or dollar amounts. The question of nominal vs. adjusted does not apply in this instance and the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesnt report job numbers that way either.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
The US has performed stunningly vs. the world's large advanced economies. President Obama is leaving the country in better shape than when he took office. Haters can scream and gnash their teeth all they want, but Donald Trump is being handed the strongest economy in the world.

US economy added jobs faster than all G-7 economies combined - Business Insider

Good thing we have had Republican House & Senate to offset Obama.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
2015 is the only year in which median family income under Obama exceeds any year under Bush.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N
Right, so we went through a terrible recession, the recovery had been uneven, but median incomes are rising at a fast rate now.

Would you prefer our median income was still in decline?

Furthermore, the 'booming' economy during the 2nd term of George W. Bush we now know was built on greedy real estate and stock speculation and bad loans, so there is a huge asterisk around that era, no?

Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Today I start my eighth year as a temp worker for the same company. I do get paid well and I am retired. But I would accept a full-time position if ever offered - who would refuse paid time off and benefits? I work and train many younger workers, with families, that do need the money and benefits - but they are in the same position of never knowing if they will offered full-time work.

Here is one article from the pro-left Washington Post about the growing part-time (temporary) employment in America: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.51dc9c96392e. I quote from that article: "The analysis by the Atlanta Fed concluded that the high rate of involuntary part-time work is a significant factor holding back wage growth in the job market."

Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. Im posting raw numbers, not percentages or dollar amounts. The question of nominal vs. adjusted does not apply in this instance and the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesnt report job numbers that way either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s

You're posting nonsense.

The fact that you have to separate your claims from any meaningful context speaks volumes.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Today I start my eighth year as a temp worker for the same company. I do get paid well and I am retired. But I would accept a full-time position if ever offered - who would refuse paid time off and benefits? I work and train many younger workers, with families, that do need the money and benefits - but they are in the same position of never knowing if they will offered full-time work.

Here is one article from the pro-left Washington Post about the growing part-time (temporary) employment in America: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.51dc9c96392e. I quote from that article: "The analysis by the Atlanta Fed concluded that the high rate of involuntary part-time work is a significant factor holding back wage growth in the job market."
This is from the December 2016 BLS Jobs Report:
The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (also referred to as involuntary part-
time workers), at 5.6 million, was essentially unchanged in December but was down by 459,000 over the
year.
These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part time
because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

5.6 million is a lot obviously, but it's decreasing, and improving since there are now 152 million total persons employed.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s

You're posting nonsense.

The fact that you have to separate your claims from any meaningful context speaks volumes.
Sorry, I only post raw data and sources that report govt statistics directly from the source-not nuanced political spin. That's a waste of time from a stats standpoint.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Top Ex-White House Economist Admits 94% Of All New Jobs Under Obama Were Part-Time | Zero Hedge

Net new jobs are part time and side gigs - ones without benefits. Thanks Uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies