Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What's BS is your claim that this has nothing to do with the military IF this shooting was related to his alleged mental issues as a result of serving overseas. Again, the military does not do enough to help its emotionally wounded.

It is a little more than speculation when his family said he had issues after coming home from serving in Iraq. It's unconfirmed but it's better than the ridiculous Muslim terrorist theories spewed here pages back.

This whole forum is a place of speculating. Please, you want us to not speculate NOW? Why, because you strongly support the military? I support the military, too, but I acknowledge faults when I find them.
Exactly. Between 15 - 20% of our homeless are veterans. Almost half of the veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trying to get disability. 20% of the veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffer from major depression or PTSD and almost 20% of that group has suffered a traumatic brain injury. Only 50% of returning vets who need mental health treatment get the help they need. And 25% of veterans returning from those two countries show some sign of substance abuse.

I'm surprised more incidents don't occur given the lack of support provided to them. It's a crime that we don't do all we can to help those who serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:29 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISIS..._finger_signal

Quote:
ISIS' index finger signal is a gesture with the index finger raised up from an otherwise closed hand. For followers of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant it is often used as a sign of their cause.[1]

Old 01-06-2017, 10:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
To show they are "lions of Islam" and that they are dedicated to the "one true god (intentionally not capitalized)".

Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This thread is about the Fort Lauderdale FL airport shooting, not Serbia. After you posted, I was only pointing out that several right wing posters on C-D use links to articles on RT.com
The silly argument was made that somehow Islamists are paying us back for attacking "their lands" and other misdeeds, imagined or real. I rightly pointed out that Serbs are not attacking the U.S. despite after having been attacked by us. Of course, you failed to see the point.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The silly argument was made that somehow Islamists are paying us back for attacking "their lands" and other misdeeds, imagined or real. I rightly pointed out that Serbs are not attacking the U.S. despite after having been attacked by us. Of course, you failed to see the point.
Over 100 years of tampering with their society, from Sykes-Picot, to the creation of the State of Israel, support for repressive dictatorships/kingdoms (Shah, Saudi, Mubarak/Sisi, Hussein, etc...) and 3 full-scale wars in the last 20 years does not even remotely compare to a small NATO led campaign.

You reap what you sow and blowback is real.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Baggage claim is an open area--you don't go through security to get there in any US airport I have been to
FL is state where lot of people have carry permits--
Neighbors in my subdivision brag about it
So it was possible that someone meeting an arrival could have had gun on his/her person...maybe they were too freaked out to pull it...

Just like there are security scattered through the airport and surely there are cameras that are being watched at central command so that security can check baggage thieves or any other illegal activity...
It seems like security was slow to arrive from when he started to shoot...but I haven't flown out of there so don't know layout of terminals and where control points are

I imagine there is going to be lot of finger pointing by security on site and local police but the real issue is that it could have happened at any airport at any time in the past---with this policy about carrying weapons in checked luggage and ammo and having access as soon as luggage come down...

We have been in DFW (home airport) and seen hunters with their rifles being logged in to go on hunting trips...
It is possible that any of those guys could have done something similar at their destination IF THEY HAD THE COMPULSION/DESIRE like this shooter did...
Well we've seen a man get booked in Arizona in 2014 and somehow never was found guilty for bringing a gun into Sky Harbor Airport and pointing it at a woman.
Man with rifle at Sky Harbor on administrative leave
Quote:
A director at Barrow Neurological Institute who was arrested after carrying a rifle into Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport has been placed on administrative leave, a hospital official confirmed Wednesday.

Peter Steinmetz, 54, was arrested Friday on suspicion of two counts of disorderly conduct after removing his AR-15 rifle from his shoulder with the muzzle faced toward a woman and her 17-year-old daughter, according to Phoenix police.

Steinmetz said he went to the airport for coffee and had no other business there.

It was the second time he brought a rifle to the busy airport. The first was in November, when he told officers he was protesting the Transportation Security Administration, according to police records.
We had the LAX shootings a few year back, isn't enough enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am tired of hearing there's nothing we can do. My answer is there's nothing YOU can do. Why can't they have armed guards, just one, in that area? There are tons of retired leos that are willing to do the job at little cost. Yet, vast areas of airports remain wide open. Citizens are forbidden to carry weapons, armed guards are nowhere to be seen, leaving the gunman as the ONLY armed person on the scene. What's wrong with this picture? Instead, they are fretting over what his motives were.
Exactly, you can have security and LEOs at football games, why not more in airports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well, guns don't kill people, only people kill people.

Therefore, by reducing the number of people (security) in the terminal, they reduced the people who would kill people!

It's soundproof logic to these people.
Yeah but anyone ever hear of contagious gunfire?
Quote:
A contagious shooting is a sociological phenomenon observed in military and police personnel in the United States, in which one person firing on a target can induce others to begin shooting. Often the subsequent shooters will not know why they are firing.

Additionally, a former CIA employee and FBI firearms instructor observed it in training. "Consistently, in every class, officers would shoot at their target upon hearing others shoot, even when their particular target board did not contain the called target." He suggests that one reason it occurs is because of muscle memory: "[T]he targets turn or the whistle blows, and all the officers shoot together until a cease fire signal is given."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So hire what? 25 million armed personnel to man every public building?
The airports, yes.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
People who have no rebuttal usually say "you failed to see the point." All I did was point out that RT.com is owned by TV-Novosti, which is owned by the Russian government.

There's no proof yet that the shooter on Friday had terrorist connections. We just don't know. It might be PTSD or he might very well be a terrorist. However, in answer to your comment, I don't understand why someone who lives in a country we attacked wouldn't want revenge. Maybe you should start a thread about this subject, but this is about the FL airport attack.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Over 100 years of tampering with their society, from Sykes-Picot, to the creation of the State of Israel, support for repressive dictatorships/kingdoms (Shah, Saudi, Mubarak/Sisi, Hussein, etc...) and 3 full-scale wars in the last 20 years does not even remotely compare to a small NATO led campaign.

You reap what you sow and blowback is real.
Jews were there first. Judaism is the oldest religion in that region. The Jews were driven from that land first. Judaism is so old, with the very roots from that land, that it is practically also an ethnicity.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Jews were there first. Judaism is the oldest religion in that region. The Jews were driven from that land first. Judaism is so old, with the very roots from that land, that it is practically also an ethnicity.
Caananites were there first...then Jews, then Persians, then Jews, then Romans, then Byzantine Romans, then Arabs, then Turks, then the British, then Jews again. They have as much claim to it as any of those groups mentioned.

In fact according to the League of Nations report on the Balfour Declaration, the area was over 90% Arab Christian/Muslim prior to the start of Zionism in the very early 20th century.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Caananites were there first...then Jews, then Persians, then Jews, then Romans, then Byzantine Romans, then Arabs, then Turks, then the British, then Jews again. They have as much claim to it as any of those groups mentioned.

In fact according to the League of Nations report on the Balfour Declaration, the area was over 90% Arab Christian/Muslim prior to the start of Zionism in the very early 20th century.
The thing is, pretty much the whole ME is Muslim dominated. Excuse the Jews for wanting some land - that was theirs before any Muslim or Arab's - after literally a history full of persecution and attempted genocide. There are Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Arabs, as Arab is an ethnicity. The only ones who seem to have a problem with Israel/no Palestine are the Muslim Arabs. Yet they have a plethora of other Arab Muslim countries to choose from.

It's a ridiculously stupid fight. Especially because there are actually a lot of Muslims, and Christians, in Israel. But not everyone gets to fit in that little land. They're being petty - both sides, yes, but there is no doubt the Jews are the minority in the region (and the Christians), and everyone really should just let it go (if only it were that easy, ha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies