Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Internet heroes abound. They all would have saved the day, if only they had been there.
Nobody, outside of highly trained soldiers, can say what they would actually do in that situation.

I can theorize all day as to what I would do, but in the actual situation, all bets are off.

The only thing I'd feel comfortable saying I'd do for sure would be shielding my children, since that is an instinctual reaction. Trained soldiers are conditioned to react making their reaction instinctual to them.

I just pray I never have to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm guessing that people on his same flight have told this to reporters.

Human garbage is what this POS is.
Yes, he is. From reports earlier, it was said that he didn't say anything at all before firing. He just walked out, quietly, and started aiming at people's heads and shooting.

He's had misdemeanors, according to the BOS, but nothing huge. Nothing that should make someone feel like their entire life is falling apart, anyway.

I would really like to find out his motive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Instead of focusing on the suspect, I wish more was said on what to do in these active shooter situations.

The attack took place in baggage claim. Most people probably had 30-50 lb bags of luggage that could have been thrown at the shooter to try and stop him.

I'm not saying this to blame the victims, but that better information needs to be given to the public.
A tossed 50 pound bag that most can't even lift over their heads is not going to stop a shooter with multiple rounds. Your best bet is drop the luggage and fricken run or hide. Unless you, too, are armed and trained...but with that many people all around in all directions...could you get a good shot and not hit someone else?

As for giving info to the public, I understand what you're getting at, but there's always that part of me that says: Why do that? If you give that out, then those who want to do this type of stuff will know what people are going to do based on what they've been told to do. And that can cause more deaths. You can't plan for every single possible attack in life with multiple people. You can only be alert and keep your mind on where exits are wherever you are.

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Instead of focusing on the suspect, I wish more was said on what to do in these active shooter situations.

The attack took place in baggage claim. Most people probably had 30-50 lb bags of luggage that could have been thrown at the shooter to try and stop him.

I'm not saying this to blame the victims, but that better information needs to be given to the public.

Haven't you heard?

Never bring a roll around to a gunfight.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Internet heroes abound. They all would have saved the day, if only they had been there.
Sure are.

When the flight crew gives their little spiel at the beginning of the flight, they can now ad that if there happens to be an active shooter at the baggage claim, throw your luggage at him.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When exactly did the term "terrorist attack" come to exclusively mean Muslim extremists?
Now it includes Hispanics too. Two favorite Democrat constituency.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Nobody, outside of highly trained soldiers, can say what they would actually do in that situation.

I can theorize all day as to what I would do, but in the actual situation, all bets are off.

The only thing I'd feel comfortable saying I'd do for sure would be shielding my children, since that is an instinctual reaction. Trained soldiers are conditioned to react making their reaction instinctual to them.

I just pray I never have to find out.
And even then it is questionable.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Once again local news saying airport being evacuated to search for possible 2nd shooter.

How much more of coward can you be to shoot completely unarmed/unsuspecting people?

Last edited by cfbs2691; 01-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: sss

Old 01-06-2017, 02:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
How many can even lift a 50lb bag let alone throw it. Get real.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Now it includes Hispanics too. Two favorite Democrat constituency.
Uh, ok. Now Dems are responsible for terrorists. Who knew Dylan Roof was a Democrat?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There's enough time to politicize this later, we need to find out all the facts first.

Having lived in Miami, I know several people who use that airport regularly. I'm sure the chances of them being there today are slim...but let's remember that there are victims here, dead and wounded, and some families will never be the same. That is what matters right now.
I used to live in Miami, and have used the airport myself on occasion. Used to be cheaper to fly out of FLL than Miami.. It's been a long time though, don't know if things are different.

I still know lot of folks who use that airport.

As for what's being reported, looks to be a lot of confusion there at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies