Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Depends. Can we make them TRULY regret this via a similar method? If so...I have no issue with continuing the war like that. But our form of government is FAR more vulnerable to this. Go with our strengths. And currently thats our military.
Let's say the Russians did hack the election. I still don't think it should be a reason good enough to start a war with them.

Putin wants a working relationship with Trump, I don't believe it is necessarily a bad thing.

I am not sure if this country can survive another endless pointless war, definitely not with the Russians.

Oh by the way, if you are talking about military contests, which is highly unlikely given the idea that superpowers all know that any war between them would lead to mutual assured destruction (MAD), the answer is that Russia's ICBM's would reach the USA about the time the US ICBM's reached Russia. So the result would be a tie, even if China sat this one out. And, of course, all three would be losers. As would the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:58 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Let's say the Russians did hack the election. I still don't think it should be a reason good enough to start a war with them.

Putin wants a working relationship with Trump, I don't believe it is necessarily a bad thing.

I am not sure if this country can survive another endless pointless war, definitely not with the Russians.
Shrug. I disagree. And generally I am not a fan of it all. In a modern age it has extreme risks, and I know the horrors that it entails.

But lets discuss the alternative. 2020 rolls around, and Russia decides Trump isn't their guy. How will things work out? Yeah. This stuff hurts our nation in truly truly bad ways. Some things are worth fighting for. This is in fact one of the few ones that are.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Shrug. I disagree. And generally I am not a fan of it all. In a modern age it has extreme risks, and I know the horrors that it entails.

But lets discuss the alternative. 2020 rolls around, and Russia decides Trump isn't their guy. How will things work out? Yeah. This stuff hurts our nation in truly truly bad ways. Some things are worth fighting for. This is in fact one of the few ones that are.
I edited my post.

In case you missed it,

if you are talking about military contests, which is highly unlikely given the idea that superpowers all know that any war between them would lead to mutual assured destruction (MAD), the answer is that Russia's ICBM's would reach the USA about the time the US ICBM's reached Russia. So the result would be a tie, even if China sat this one out. And, of course, all three would be losers. As would the rest of the world.

Thing is russians are not that stupid. Even if Trump is not their guy, I doubt they'd start a war with the U.S.

Allies spy on each other all the time. Should there be a punishment every single time one misbehaves? US bombed Chinese embassy once, and it did not cause ww3. Why? because superpowers all know that any war between them would lead to MAD.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Wrong again. Ryan thought he would lose congress and presidency on November 8. Trump got Ryan most power by republicans in almost 100 years. All Trump. Nobody even helped. Trump won all by himself. If Trump tells the people of Wisconsin to turn on Ryan - he's gone. Trump is the king. And we Trump supporters are so happy. And the bonus is,seeing the left cry like transgender girls every day. It feels so good seeing you cry. I love watching Don Lemon cry every night with his fake news about bogus Trump electoral college voters defecting, or recounts, or polls. Never any proof.
Oh so now we have to address Trump as King Trump. Good to know Nope not wrong about Ryan. But what's really disturbing is people like you. I'm not crying at all...sorry. But to hope and get giddy over politics where you want to see people cry is just really bizarre to me.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I edited my post.

In case you missed it,

if you are talking about military contests, which is highly unlikely given the idea that superpowers all know that any war between them would lead to mutual assured destruction (MAD), the answer is that Russia's ICBM's would reach the USA about the time the US ICBM's reached Russia. So the result would be a tie, even if China sat this one out. And, of course, all three would be losers. As would the rest of the world.
Which is why all three superpowers have non nuclear militaries. I am not arguing for a first strike. But I am saying that conventional strikes should be considered if we cannot find ways to make Russia regret this sufficiently.

Quote:
Thing is russians are not that stupid. Even if Trump is not their guy, I doubt they'd start a war with the U.S.
I would argue they already did.
Quote:
Allies spy on each other all the time. US bombed Chinese embassy once, and it did not cause ww3. Why? because superpowers all know that any war between them would lead to MAD.
Spying is one thing. What was done here is a act of war.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Which is why all three superpowers have non nuclear militaries. I am not arguing for a first strike. But I am saying that conventional strikes should be considered if we cannot find ways to make Russia regret this sufficiently.

A Cold War would lead to significant long term economic damage but less tangible than a Great War and again, without any winners. It could be argued that even America did not benefit from the Cold War as the proxy wars and espionage etc did not aid in the ending of the war but Gorbachev and his visits to a more open and successful prospering economy led Russia to choose a better path.

Not worth it. I want to see a working relationship with the Russians.

Plus, let's all face it, Russia is not Iraq. Even a war with the Iraq is not a victory. lol

Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
A Cold War would lead to significant long term economic damage but less tangible than a Great War and again, without any winners. It could be argued that even America did not benefit from the Cold War as the proxy wars and espionage etc did not aid in the ending of the war but Gorbachev and his visits to a more open and successful prospering economy led Russia to choose a better path.

Not worth it. I want to see a working relationship with the Russians.
If we fail to act to make a country regret doing this, next election will be worse. It will continue.

I want a working relationship with the Russians too. Letting them do this does not work for me.

I'd settle for just assassinating some of the folks involved to be honest.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:08 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Nuclear war is a bit extreme, why not a group cry in a safe place and then just move on?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:10 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,341,530 times
Quote:

What did Barack Hussein do about it? Nothing.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,341,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nuclear war is a bit extreme, why not a group cry in a safe place and then just move on?
Don't forget to bring diaper pins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies