Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 02:58 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Canadians are much more satisfied with their health care system than Americans, no comparison at all.
Why do Canadians need to buy supplemental insurance policies to cover prescription drugs, etc.? And why are increasing numbers of Canadians coming to the US for health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 03:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Thats not true, Canada has a 5% VAT, Australia has a 10% VAT. Essentials are excluded. They both have single payer health care systems.

But this isnt about funding of single payer. Americans already spend more on health care than anyone else in the world by far.

Its about Trump supporters generally supporting Trump no matter what he does, and progressives will support progressive positions.
Maybe you are misinformed. My husband just paid tax on his equivalent IRA withdrawal from the UK, 20% on a small amount. Not including VAT yet. But what I want to say, can we completely eliminate tip on food in restaurants then because UK and Europe do not have 15-25% tip.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
But Trump says he will be cutting regulations on businesses.
It's like they say the first thing that comes to their mind, without thought and without and idea of what they said previously about guberment regulations

Old 01-07-2017, 03:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe you are misinformed.
No, Australia has a 10% VAT. Canada 5% VAT. This is the reality.

Regarding tips, sure, American tipping is nothing but support for people who make starvation wages at the moment, which $7.25 an hour truly is. Everyone working 40 hour a week should be able to live in dignity and a substantially higher minimum wage would massively benefit heroes working in nursing homes, caregivers and in mental health hospitals who are human beings too and deserve to live in dignity and not starve to death because there is only money for trillions in tax breaks for the donor class.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm surprised that this article is written by Huffington Post. But I'm not surprised by the Canadian health care system because I had a coworker whose grandma was from Canada. And she said she had to bribe the doctor to see him. Otherwise back in the queue like everybody else.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Written by The Fraser Institute, a group funded by the Koch brothers that believes Canada should eliminate all federal safety nets, no support for the disabled, no national health care system, no support for schools or the elderly and let sick people who cant afford medications and treatments die. The fact that you support the Fraser institute shows that you are clearly out of touch with the people. But Trump cares DEEPLY about popular opinion. He has zero ideology as the people who knows him attest to. He can not move in the direction you want him to go in.
My ex-coworker told me the same thing. No Koch brothers funding was necessary.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why are increasing numbers of Canadians coming to the US for medical care?

As a percentage more Americans leave the US for care than Canadians that leave Canada

Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm surprised that this article is written by Huffington Post.
Its not written by Huffington Post. Its the opinion of Fraser Institute, a social darwinist think tank funded by the second wealthiest family in the world, the Koch family, that wants to eliminate all social safety nets in America and make life and death purely a question of money.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That is true, but the American people are still clearly supportive of a national health care system, which poll after poll shows, even if it is clearly not what corporate American wants. There is also the case that certain sections of corporate America would benefit greatly from a single payer system which is much cheaper than the system we have now and gets the health care burden off the backs of employers. Health care costs in America are threatening the entire economy.

I wouldnt be so pessimistic. It is certainly possible that Trump, as a complete non-ideologue, and with an astonishing ego will move in the direction of popular opinion. Considering that a huge number of his supporters in addition to Democrats would support that, it leaves the more social darwinist Paul Ryan type of republicans in a small minority. If we listen to the people who knows him, its clear Trump doesnt care about policy, only about popularity. It will be a rude wake up call if he pushes Paul Ryan's agenda and the people can organize a lot of popular opposition.
They probably don't know the system well. Try to use Kaiser here to start out. Just like Obamacare, everybody believed in the word Affordable and forgot about the word care.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Will never happen because against their basic philosophy of privatization and free market devoid of government social networks. Let the poor and the middle class fall through the crack because it is their own fault for not pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and becoming RICH.

America is at a crossroads today as never before. What kind of society are we to become? Some third world society of only very rich and very poor begging on the streets?

I am 68 years old. I will be dead probably before I see this, but I do have children and grandchildren who I fear for, and today question why I brought them into this future world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies