Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Its his business and should be able to operate it anyway he wants.

Zion Dairy Queen franchisee loses store after racist rant | abc7chicago.com
Guy is a franchise owner and subject to the terms and conditions of the ongoing franchise agreement which he agreed to abide by when he acquired the business. His behavior violated the agreement.

Local media is reporting the franchiser and franchisee agreed to terminate their agreement.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,264 times
Quote:
Seems you might be unfamiliar with how franchising works.

Why would DQ want their store to go out of business?
Im a little leary I don't think we're getting the entire story. For example how successful was this store. If the store was successful obviously the business owner was doing something right. Just because he made one mistake. He shouldn't be punished by losing his livelihood. We're all human beings and we all make mistakes . However with the current PC facism atmosphere today there's no forgiveness.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:

It's not his business... it's a franchise... if he wants the LICENSE to use their name, he needs to obey their rules...

Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM

10,451 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not really his business; it's a Dairy Queen franchise and depending on how the contract is written, DQ has the right to terminate the franchise if the franchise owner's behavior reflects poorly on DQ.

I don't blame them and I'm no PC SJW.
Agreed! I've had friends that have gone to bars after work, while still brandishing the work shirt logos, post pics on facebook of them getting drinks and trashed. Then when they come in the next day, they get upset because the managers tell them to take it down or they will suspended. They get mad, thinking their rights are being violated, but they don't seem to understand that a company has their right to protect their image.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
BigD,
I don't think anyone is really saying it's okay to insult a customer. I think the issue is more that the punishment doesn't fit the 'crime'.
A customer has a dispute with a business owner.. now the owner will lose his business, all his employees will be without incomes. There may no longer be a DQ in that area for other people in the neighborhood. If the owner had been racially insulted, the customer would not have faced the same Draconian consequences.

I've heard all kinds of insults passed back & forth at fast food places, but never felt like everyone in the store should end up jobless. Who knows how important the DQ incomes might be to everyone potentially unemployed now.. And it's really naive (to me), to assume that only the owner is at fault in the escalation of tempers in this incident.

Will DQ quickly put a new franchise owner in place.. I plead ignorance on what will happen now..
Franchiser and franchisee agreed to the terms and conditions of the franchise license agreement.

Franchiser violated the terms and conditions of the licence agreement.

Franchiser and franchisee agreed to terminate the licence franchise agreement.

Many franchise licence agreements grant the franchiser the right to recover damages when the franchisee violates the terms and conditions of the franchise licence agreement and damages the brand, including the franchiser's right to revoke the license.

This franchisee might have gotten off light given he " proudly admitted" to calling the woman and her children racial slurs, according to the Police Report.

636 posts, read 392,680 times
Quote:
Im a little leary I don't think we're getting the entire story.
OF COURSE we're not getting the entire story.
But that didn't stop you from immediately saying what should have happened
Quote:

Quote:
For example how successful was this store. If the store was successful obviously the business owner was doing something right. Just because he made one mistake. He shouldn't be punished by losing his livelihood. We're all human beings and we all make mistakes . However with the current PC facism atmosphere today there's no forgiveness.
As another poster pointed out:
DQ, who certainly have more information than we do, is running their business the way they want.

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Im a little leary I don't think we're getting the entire story. For example how successful was this store. If the store was successful obviously the business owner was doing something right. Just because he made one mistake. He shouldn't be punished by losing his livelihood. We're all human beings and we all make mistakes . However with the current PC facism atmosphere today there's no forgiveness.
Why are you against DQ's right to run their business the way they want? Are you a communist?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I agree but its his business and should be able to run it the way he wants. Let the free the market decide. Eventually he'll go out of business..."You Know Customer Reviews"
He chose to buy the franchise license and agreed to the terms and conditions of the franchise agreement.
Obviously he violated the terms and conditions and he and DQ agreed to terminate the agreement.

Sounds like guy perceived a better business opportunity to operate under a franchise licencing agreement than to operate a stand alone business.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,285 times
Quote:

I agree he can run it anyone he wants, which apparently he did, and is why he LOST it!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Guy rents the right to operate a DQ under a license agreement with terms and conditions.

DQ has an obligation to protect the brand and the investment by all franchise licencees.

He chose to operate under the DQ brand and agreed to abide by the terms and conditions of the agreement.

He violated the terms and conditions and experienced the consequence.

No telling if this was a one time incident or one of many. He " proudly admitted " to his behavior on the Police Report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies