Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not really his business; it's a Dairy Queen franchise and depending on how the contract is written, DQ has the right to terminate the franchise if the franchise owner's behavior reflects poorly on DQ.

I don't blame them and I'm no PC SJW.

Same thought occurred to me. The guy should have known this would be the end result of going off like this. No company is going to tolerate a franchise owner that reflects such an attitude. Bad for business is an understatement. Particularly in the current climate where even the subtle insinuation of racism is enough to get someone strung up.

DQ isn't about to risk hundreds of millions of dollars by standing by as one of their franchises presents an image like that.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Yes, PC is out of control but this story is not an example of it.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Its his business and should be able to operate it anyway he wants.

Zion Dairy Queen franchisee loses store after racist rant | abc7chicago.com
Not so. He's a franchisee, and the agreement he signed with DQ would have included many clauses telling him exactly what he can and cannot do. It surely included customer relations.

If he thinks that DQ unfairly terminated his franchise agreement, he can take it to court.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
BigD,
I don't think anyone is really saying it's okay to insult a customer. I think the issue is more that the punishment doesn't fit the 'crime'.
A customer has a dispute with a business owner.. now the owner will lose his business, all his employees will be without incomes. There may no longer be a DQ in that area for other people in the neighborhood. If the owner had been racially insulted, the customer would not have faced the same Draconian consequences.

I've heard all kinds of insults passed back & forth at fast food places, but never felt like everyone in the store should end up jobless. Who knows how important the DQ incomes might be to everyone potentially unemployed now.. And it's really naive (to me), to assume that only the owner is at fault in the escalation of tempers in this incident.

Will DQ quickly put a new franchise owner in place.. I plead ignorance on what will happen now..
Depends on whether DQ has a waiting list of potential franchisees or not. My guess is that they do, and they will have no problems finding a new franchisee for that location.

In the meantime, DQ may well keep the place open with an interim manager. They wouldn't want to shutter a place, even temporarily.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:17 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Im a little leary I don't think we're getting the entire story. For example how successful was this store. If the store was successful obviously the business owner was doing something right. Just because he made one mistake. He shouldn't be punished by losing his livelihood. We're all human beings and we all make mistakes . However with the current PC facism atmosphere today there's no forgiveness.
Oh please. He signed a contract. He violated the terms of the contract. Now he suffers the consequences.

If I were a DQ franchise owner and other owners were damaging the brand and DQ did nothing, I'd be pretty upset.

Somehow I doubt you'd adopt this same attitude if the franchise operator had lost his franchise for, say, hanging a "No Christians" sign on the door or for putting in a gender-neutral bathroom (assuming that's something corporate would care about).

Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
The Dairy Queen franchise agreement certainly has a morals or conduct clause. Engaging in open racism certainly gives DQ grounds to eject this guy. I am a Trump-supporting anti-SJW ardent supporter of free speech. If he dropped the N-word toward a customer, he should lose his franchise. This is a perfect example of how things should be handled. No police, no government, no courts. Simple public shaming of overtly racist behavior. DQ exercising private property rights over their brand. Much more effective, and not only will this guy not be able to own a DQ, it is likely that he will not be able to stay in business at all. He might even have a hard time finding a job. And the reverberation will extend to all franchise owners of any brand of anything, and will modify this type of evil expression in the future. Freedom at work.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on whether DQ has a waiting list of potential franchisees or not. My guess is that they do, and they will have no problems finding a new franchisee for that location.

In the meantime, DQ may well keep the place open with an interim manager. They wouldn't want to shutter a place, even temporarily.
Agreed. I'm guessing this isn't the first time that owner has done something like this.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:

He doesn't own it, he is renting it as a franchisee. Dairy Queen made it clear why they are pulling the plug.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:

So your idea of running a corporate business with franchises would be to allow a franchisee to spew whatever vitriol they want with their mouth....excellent business strategy. You can have freedom of speech and say whatever you want. That's exactly what the owner of that store did. At the same time you SHOULD be held accountable for what you say. Don't get butt hurt that you might actually have to be responsible for whatever you say.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Looks like a private business issue.

Not even a controversy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies