Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Okay thanks but this really refutes everything you say:

National Popular Vote 2016
Hillary Clinton 65,844,954
Donald Trump 62,979,879
this refutes NOTHING that i have said. mostly because you refuse to understand how our election system works. just because new york and california went big for hillary, does not mean the rest of the country did. if you were to actually follow the election, on election night, and follow the numbers you would have found that trump was leading the national popular vote until the votes started rolling in from california. in the end california is ONE state with 55 electoral votes. trump ended up with 306 electoral votes compared to hillarys 232.

so while california went big for hillary, and it was expected to, the rest of the country voted for trump, which is why HE is president and not hillary.

and this is nothing new in this country, it has happened before, even before 2000 in fact. there was a president that won three straight national popular votes, but lost the electoral college in one of those elections, can you name him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:01 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For all of the fools who keep crying about the popular vote, you're embarrassing yourselves every. single. time.

You are not voting nationally. You are voting for the electors in your state. You're not voting for president, you are voting for the electors, IN YOUR STATE ONLY. Every single state gets to have a say, whether you like that or not. There are 50 states. All 50 states get to have a vote. The people do not elect the president, THE STATES ELECT THE PRESIDENT.

It doesn't matter if 10 million more people voted in CA for Hillary, it simply means that 10 million people in the state of CA voted for certain electors from the state of CA. That's it. That's ALL that it means.

YOU do not vote for the president. Those 65 million people did NOT vote for president. Those 65 million people voted for the ELECTORS IN THEIR STATES.

The fact remains, MORE people voted for the electors to vote for Donald J. Trump. THAT is why he's president and Hillary is not.

The extra 3 million came from the state of CA. A total of 7 million people in CA voted for their electors to vote for Hillary. That's it. That's all that it means.

Every time that you bleat about "popular vote" you show everyone how uneducated you are.
LOL, you trying to confuse these people with facts?

Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, you trying to confuse these people with facts?
People have been brainwashed with democracy democracy democracy all their lives so it's only natural to be confused in situations like the 2016 American presidential election results.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Who is confused? You nutty right wingers seem to think we don't understand how our broken system works.

That is not the case. We understand it just fine. We also understand that it completely and utterly fails to represent the will of the people.

The only reason you're in favor of our broken, non-representative, anti-democratic system is because you don't believe in the will of the people, you just want your side to win. Your new god thinks so too. He was ranting against the electoral college when he thought it might help Democrats. Now he, in his infinite hypocrisy, is a fan. Just like you're all fans not because of some principled position, but because you hate the very idea of representative government. All you care about is that someone with an (R) next to their name wins.

See here's the thing. If in 2020 Trump gets ousted despite winning the popular vote, my view on the electoral college will not change. But you know what? I guarantee Trump and all his whiny supporters who currently proudly reject the very idea of one person one vote will suddenly change their minds and insist that the EC is unfair and needs to be changed.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes it was quite clear:

National Popular Vote 2016
Hillary Clinton 65,844,954
Donald Trump 62,979,879

You guys keep forgetting that Donald Trump didnt win because 'Americans sent a VERY clear message'.

The 'message' the American people sent was that we chose Hillary Clinton.

Right?
Nice snivel.

America chose Trump. Fools chose Hillary.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
People have been brainwashed with democracy democracy democracy all their lives so it's only natural to be confused in situations like the 2016 American presidential election results.
I know right? The absolute horror of people liking democracy. I mean my gosh!

Meanwhile the Republicans scream about their mandate. Weird how we had a whole revolution once about the country not being represented by its rulers.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nice snivel.

America chose Trump. Fools chose Hillary.
Demonstrably America did not. The electoral vote did (which is our process-That Trump once called for a revolution about). I dont know how you cannot understand this.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Who is confused? You nutty right wingers seem to think we don't understand how our broken system works.

That is not the case. We understand it just fine. We also understand that it completely and utterly fails to represent the will of the people.

The only reason you're in favor of our broken, non-representative, anti-democratic system is because you don't believe in the will of the people, you just want your side to win. Your new god thinks so too. He was ranting against the electoral college when he thought it might help Democrats. Now he, in his infinite hypocrisy, is a fan. Just like you're all fans not because of some principled position, but because you hate the very idea of representative government. All you care about is that someone with an (R) next to their name wins.

See here's the thing. If in 2020 Trump gets ousted despite winning the popular vote, my view on the electoral college will not change. But you know what? I guarantee Trump and all his whiny supporters who currently proudly reject the very idea of one person one vote will suddenly change their minds and insist that the EC is unfair and needs to be changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Demonstrably America did not. The electoral vote did (which is our process-That Trump once called for a revolution about). I dont know how you cannot understand this.
so the fact that trump won the popular vote in 30 states mean nothing to you people? this is what the electoral college is all about, win enough states, to get to 270 electoral votes, and you win the election. are you suggesting that 20 states should be able to tell the other 30 states who the president should be?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so the fact that trump won the popular vote in 30 states mean nothing to you people? this is what the electoral college is all about, win enough states, to get to 270 electoral votes, and you win the election. are you suggesting that 20 states should be able to tell the other 30 states who the president should be?
No, no it does not.

I don't actually care that Trump carried a lot of states that contain mostly empty space, corn fields, and cows. People should vote, not land, not cows, not tumbleweed, not arbitrarily defined regions of wildly differing populations.

People.

Do you get that concept?

Absolutely 20 states should be able to tell 30 states who the president should be, if those twenty states have enough population to outweigh the vote in the other thirty states. There's nothing particularly magical about a state. It's just a political subdivision.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:04 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

I didn't vote for Trump. I voted Sanders and then Stein. If it ever came to a vote I would vote to keep the E.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies