Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I disagree, the only way for weak points (and everyone has some) to ever get addressed and made stronger is for their existence to first be acknowledged.
It's funny that you say that as someone who describes Trump's tweets as tantrums.

Trump has used social media to expose weak points, hypocrisy, and corruption in a way that people have never seen before.

No matter how effect, some will only see it as tantrums.

Some will just never understand that Trump is communicating with a level of sophistication above their comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 02:51 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Oh the irony of suggesting that "growing up" would make one more in line with the petulant adolescent elect.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It's funny that you say that as someone who describes Trump's tweets as tantrums.

Trump has used social media to expose weak points, hypocrisy, and corruption in a way that people have never seen before.

Some will just never understand that Trump is communicating with a level of sophistication above their comprehension.

And some will never admit Trump suffers from the old problem of being able to dish it out while being unable to take it, not a good 'quality' for someone who chose to put himself on the world's largest and most watched public stage.

I see his Twitter rants as the work of a whiny little boy rather than a man who should be above most of what he takes issue with. They're barely beyond 'Mommy! Mommy! They're making fun of me '

Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Someone in another thread explained that "now it is up to all of us to grow up and get behind Trump."

I find it difficult to agree with this and tried to explain by way of one easy example. Say for example that Trump is pro-life and others are pro-choice. How can anyone expect anyone to "grow up" and change their views or differences about social, economic and/or political issues just because Trump was elected POTUS? Did the Tea Party types "grow up" when Obama was elected? No, not in the least...

Should people "grow up" and get behind Trump? I don't think so if we're talking about politics rather than who might be quarterback of a football team...

I read this article just this morning as well, suggesting pretty much the opposite of "growing up" if growing up means to fall in line.

"As a congressional staffer, Sarah Dohl saw Tea Partiers disrupt and dominate politics. Now she wants progressives to learn from the conservative movement..."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-party-tactics

What's a good American to do?

You're preaching to the choir. If people had that attitude back in history, African Americans would never be free and women would never have the right to vote.

Plus it's pretty hypocritical that citizens are supposed to "grow up" and the president elect is free to act like a baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We should not 'get behind Trump'. Just like the right did NOT 'get behind Obama" in the past eight years.

Absolutely. This is not like Bush or Kasich. This is a man uniquely UNQUALIFIED to be President and unfit to lead this country.
Yes and they were often far worse about Obama. This was a man who never insulted anyone and acted with grace but yet they still threw insults at him.
Definitely not like Bush at all. Bush was an idiot but he was a decent human being. I guess other Democrats didn't like him like I did but I certainly don't recall as much chaos when he was president.
I was cool with all the presidents before Trump. I wouldn't have minded Romney all that much if he had won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't follow anyone blindly. I will leave that for the religious people.....
Me neither. Even people I admire (like musicians I have been inspired by) I would never follow blindly so why should I for Trump when I don't even do that for people I really fancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
BS. You might be, but the idiots on the left rioting and burning down businesses, assaulting people absolutely are doing it because they lost. Most liberals are 100% about "the team" and will do anything to get their candidate elected, the way the DNC sandbagged Sanders is clear evidence of that.

Democrats have been putting party over country for 8 years. Elections have consequences remember? Republicans can ride in the back, sound familiar?
Yes elections have consequences but by doing so that screws the good ones over. Why should those of us who aren't violent have to pay for something that other people did?

Also while what they are doing isn't right they may not all be doing that for that reason. They may feel fearful of what's going to happen and fear can do crazy things to a person. If you elect a hateful man can you expect anything but chaos?
Maybe some of them are even doing it to show Trump how wrong he is so he helped this to happen so he is just as much to blame as the person actually doing the violence.

Quote:
I haven't seen you say that about Obama.

Do you honestly think Obama hasn't been throwing temper tantrums since Trump won the election?
Even if he is, he has too much class to show it.

Quote:
Trump faced more criticism, and vicious attacks than any other person to ever run for president, to say he can't handle criticism is not living in reality.
So complaining about a comedian who is just doing his job is handling criticism? Okay..whatever you say.

Quote:
Is choosing his cabinet from the establishment and donor class also a "good sign"?
Haha right. I'm pretty sure that I am far more anti establishment than Trump and yet I dislike him (I mean has he ever had a conflict with his primary care physician like I have? I seriously doubt it). It's all a bunch of hooey so if that person is looking for a sign it's more telling that someone who is as honest as I am doesn't like him.
I put Trump in the same class as Comcast (which is the biggest establishment of all) and I wouldn't doubt he'd back them if it were to benefit him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh I hate Donald Trump for many things outside of his politics. People I disagree with politically but wouldn't mind buying a beer for and chatting with: John McCain, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney. I couldn't be more diametrically opposed to those three but I don't hate them.

Donald Trump? He's a sleaze bag, lying, conniving, predatory con man who disrespects women. I don't care if Donald Trump was a cashier in a store or the president of this country. I'd hate the man for who he is, not what his political leanings happen to be.
I would love to eat lunch/dinner with Bush myself. I bet we could get along great. Sometimes I think I'm the only Democrat who does but I liked Bush a lot. I don't know about Romney as much but I certainly don't mind him.
Yup I disliked him way before he decided to run..never had a good feeling about him. The only difference is now is he has a more powerful job so I can't ignore him like I did before.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:

Good lord, you must be kidding.

He's not sophisticated.

Damn, he has people snowed, though.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Good lord, you must be kidding.

He's not sophisticated.

Damn, he has people snowed, though.
You should really take the time to learn what Trump is actually doing.

There are a number of good videos explaining the techniques that Trump is using. There are some people that are subject matter experts that are doing some good videos on how Trump communicates.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
And some will never admit Trump suffers from the old problem of being able to dish it out while being unable to take it, not a good 'quality' for someone who chose to put himself on the world's largest and most watched public stage.

I see his Twitter rants as the work of a whiny little boy rather than a man who should be above most of what he takes issue with. They're barely beyond 'Mommy! Mommy! They're making fun of me '

Literally the more I hear of this orange dude the more he reminds me of that loser who is my father. My only guess is they've never personally known someone who is like Trump that has hurt them so as a result I'm not sure they'll ever understand how bad he is.

We can only hope that those people vote with sense and when they see a bad policy they recognize it as so instead of blindly following him.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm sure glad the right hasn't been openly and loudly hateful with their rhetoric and actions over the past eight years.
you mean like the left was during the bush administration?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 PM

8,501 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Quote:
You should really take the time to learn what Trump is actually doing.

There are a number of good videos explaining the techniques that Trump is using. There are some people that are subject matter experts that are doing some good videos on how Trump communicates.
No argument that he's quite skilled at packaging a message. But the election's over; he's won. My problem is that that skill doesn't necessarily translate well into building a base of his choosing in Congress or conducting negotiations on the world stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Literally the more I hear of this orange dude the more he reminds me of that loser who is my father. My only guess is they've never personally known someone who is like Trump that has hurt them so as a result I'm not sure they'll ever understand how bad he is.

We can only hope that those people vote with sense and when they see a bad policy they recognize it as so instead of blindly following him.
Again, the election is over. I'm not so concerned that Congress won't recognize bad policies proposed by Trump and support him but that Trump won't be able to recognize the long-term implications of bad policies proposed by Congress. Sure, it's great that Trump started his campaign largely independent of the donor class but in our two-party system Trump *needs* a political base (and not just one composed of loyal voters). No doubt that the donor class is not *coming* for him. He's now too valuable to be left dangling unclaimed.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We should not 'get behind Trump'. Just like the right did NOT 'get behind Obama" in the past eight years.

Absolutely. This is not like Bush or Kasich. This is a man uniquely UNQUALIFIED to be President and unfit to lead this country.
What was he? A community organizer or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies