Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,295,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, sure you saw it. What's the film about?
Oh, it's you. Yes. I watched it. It's about a family living in Oklahoma. It's a character study, really. The grandmother is addicted to a huge range of pills and is slowly dying. The grandfather is missing (and found dead) and the children arrive from out of town. There's a family dinner, a number of fights, some wonderfully hillbilly rants, and lots of general ignorance. Streep's performance is possibly the most over-the-top piece of acting I've ever seen.

What would you possess you to think I had not seen the film?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,568,977 times
Why did Meryl Streep give rapist Roman Polanski a standing ovation?

So far the only "answers" have been:

1)Duplicate post/thread
2) Why do Trump supporters pretend to care about anyone's moral standards?
3) Trump haters could look at a black rock and say it's white.

Some very insightful responses indeed.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,705,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Grabbing women by the ***** without their consent is sexual assault and you know it. Don't embarrass yourself by acting like it's not. We all watched the video and heard the audio multiple times, but if you'd like to link to it here, go ahead.
He said they would let him. Where did he say he would do it without consent, because he said they would allow it, which is consent.

The only lack of consent I have heard of resulted in Bill Clinton paying nearly a million dollars to his victim.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,719,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't even know what the golden globes are about. Are they for TV, movies, stage?

I don't watch any of these award shows. If Ford televised an awards show with Best Paint Technician, Best Headlight Installation and Best Lubricator, I wouldn't be watching it either.
Bingo...you are so right, and you made me laugh. I've told my wife many times over the years when these "awards" shows come up in their various forms, here's Hollywood honoring itself again! I've also told her that I'll start watching these, when the TV networks decide to nationally broadcast the industry awards that my industry has. Like that will ever happen, or ever should happen. Why do they think we care ? Why would we care ? Why should we care ?

We love to go to movies, and we see a lot of them. I see no contradiction in loving movies, and not caring in the least about those who make movies, their personal lives, their professional lives, and how good or bad they are. When they start caring about those in other industries on an individual basis, those who make American run on a daily basis, them perhaps I'll reconsider.

They are so vain. They think the world can't get enough of them, so they have to honor themselves every so often, and very publically too of course!

But....to each their own! If that's your thing, enjoy.

Last edited by jasper1372; 01-09-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,602,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Oh, it's you. Yes. I watched it. It's about a family living in Oklahoma. It's a character study, really. The grandmother is addicted to a huge range of pills and is slowly dying. The grandfather is missing (and found dead) and the children arrive from out of town. There's a family dinner, a number of fights, some wonderfully hillbilly rants, and lots of general ignorance. Streep's performance is possibly the most over-the-top piece of acting I've ever seen.

What would you possess you to think I had not seen the film?
Your cries that the movie is all about insulting hillbillies, that's what. Ever see Deliverance?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,190,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Maybe Trump will negotiate some deals that will be good for the U.S. work force. I certainly hope so.

But so far, between his tweets, his appointments, his relationship with Putin, and his refusal to divest himself of his business interests, he's not showing a lot of promise as president.

His business interests are a hurdle that can be dealt with.
Who is he supposed to appoint if not (for the most part) individuals with experience who are not regular Washington players? In particular, given the dominance of Wall Street in our nation's affairs, how is he going to choose a cabinet and agency heads with no relation to Wall Street? It didn't help that other Republicans opposed him and thereby cut down the pool of candidates, leaving a lot of business and military people to choose from. If you're objecting to the politics of his appointments and not to their experience, well -- that's politics.

I don't have a problem with an incoming President who wants to try for better relations with Russia. The Russians could be a valuable ally in the fight against Islamic fundamentalism, and in the inevitable conflict with the Chinese. I don't blame him for not immediately trusting the bare allegations of Russian misconduct by Obama appointees to intelligence agencies.

Tweets? As far as I can tell, the only problem is that they annoy some people, tho in fact the anti-Trumpers are getting a lot of mileage out of mocking his tweets. So what's the beef?

Given his recent successes with keeping corporate jobs in the US, I'd say he is showing promise. He's got a lot more to prove, but otherwise, all he has done so far to anger the left is to merely behave like Trump, i.e., "not presidential." So what -- form over substance? I didn't care about Bill Clinton's personal quirks and I don't care about Trump's; if I want entertainment, that's when the celebrities come in. Let Trump be Trump. I just want to see results.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 01-09-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,602,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Bingo...you are so right, and you made me laugh. I've told my wife many times over the years when these "awards" shows come up in their various forms, here's Hollywood honoring itself again! I've also told her that I'll start watching these, when the TV networks decide to nationally broadcast the industry awards that my industry has. Like that will ever happen, or ever should happen. Why do they think we care ? Why would we care ? Why should we care ?

We love to go to movies, and we see a lot of them. I see no contradiction in loving movies, and not caring in the least about those who make movies, their personal lives, their professional lives, and how good or bad they are. Whey they start caring about those in other industries on an individual basis, those who make American run on a daily basis, them perhaps I'll reconsider.

They are so vain. They think the world can't get enough of them, so they have to honor themselves every so often, and very publically too of course!

If you don't care, why are you wasting your time & energy trying to convince us that you don't care?

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM

13,669 posts, read 10,047,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

We love to go to movies, and we see a lot of them. I see no contradiction in loving movies, and not caring in the least about those who make movies, their personal lives, their professional lives, and how good or bad they are. Whey they start caring about those in other industries on an individual basis, those who make American run on a daily basis, them perhaps I'll reconsider.

If no one cared, the networks wouldn't waste the advertising time.

They've had these events since way before tv. They'd have them whether they were broadcast or not. Lots of industries' associations have awards. It's not particularly unusual.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:35 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,988,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. And that is exactly what Streep did.

Unfortunately, the fragile ego of the PE, simply cannot handle any kind of criticism.

Has Streep tweeted back at him? No?

That what someone with class does.
Considering how many threads there are on City-Data about Meryl Streep, she must have really unnerved the Trump supporters, although they claim she's unimportant and a has-been.

Last night when someone wrote "who?" I almost began to list my favorite Streep films like Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, The Bridges of Madison County, Kramer vs Kramer and others for which she's won numerous awards, but then I realized it wouldn't do much good. In fact, after reading Trump's tweet that she's an "overrated" actress, it makes me proud to be a Democrat!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,090,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. And that is exactly what Streep did.

Unfortunately, the fragile ego of the PE, simply cannot handle any kind of criticism.

Has Streep tweeted back at him? No?

That what someone with class does.
Yes, Streep made a fool of herself bringing up OLD FAKE news. We know she's a liar because she started off as the victim of one losing her voice and needing a cheat sheet to remember what she wanted to say. . . then went on a tirade about Trump. It's a miracle. . . she was instantly cured and had no trouble remember her damaging and anti-patriotic voice of 'no rhyme or reason'.

What did she accomplish? She validated the stupidity of those who can't accept their conniving candidate lost the election.

The discontented losers will continue their senseless rants about Trump because they are clones of their cronies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies