Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I stayed up way later than my usual 9 PM bedtime to watch the Golden Globes because I like watching the golden globes. I also catch up on the movies I did not see and TV programs I have never heard of.

Ms. Strep is a free citizen and has a right to state her opinions just as the current crop of Trumpets.
...and them Trumpets played loud & clear on election day.
Vince Vaughn stated that the medic in Hacksaw Ridge was the 1st conscience objector to receive the CMH I beg to differ it was Sgt. York in WW1.He was a crack shot who with his skill and his rifle to save the lives of his follow soldiers by killing the enemy invoking fear in them...another great Gary Cooper movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Never formally charged?!?!?!?

Roman Polanski was CONVICTED of drugging and sodomizing that 13-year-old girl and then took off to another country to avoid going to prison.
You know, you're right. I realized that shortly after I typed it.

He cannot return to the US. I sometimes forget that, since I was a little kid at the time and not as old as some of the posters here on this forum.

I don't agree with him having fled prison, no.

So, if he'd stayed here, gone to prison, and been released for good behavior or the like, would her standing up still have been terrible?

I mean, if he'd paid his debt to society and all that?

For all I know, he just needed mental help. His wife was murdered so brutally that people still talk about the horrors of it to this day.

I dunno... is this really even relevant to Meryl Streep's speech last night, anyway?

If she'd stood up and talked about what an great guy Trump is, would his supporters be talking about what a hell of a gal she is now?

I do not know, but I suspect so.

ETA: I gave up and Googled. He fled the US prior to sentencing because he thought he was getting probation and it looked like he might serve time. Anyway... that was a long time ago. I'm not a big fan of his either way.

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
It is the truth and Trump cannot deny that he mocked that disabled reporter. Hello Technology, Donald? Anyone with a computer can Goggle it and watch the video where he mocked that reporter.

Any parent of a disabled child should have been horrified to see this, as for those of us who have worked with disabled children and adults. We are not all "perfect" human beings (Volk) like Mr. Dtrump is. There is NO SHAME in that in being an imperfect human being, unlike "The Donald" is.

Get used to this, Mr. Trump. There is 1st Amendment rights, media and private citizens, to speak their mind, especially when it can be backed up with the "Video Tape". Does President Trump plan on repealing Free Speech too?

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe you should google more diligently. Streep NEVER mentioned Trump's name last night.

And yes, Streep gave Polanski a standing ovation. He's a talented director. As a person, he's a douche, but professionally he's very accomplished. As a fellow artist, she's allowed to acknowledge how accomplished he is. Because, free speech. And if the only thing you have to criticize Streep for is that she acknowledges that Polanski is a talented director, something that he's received many accolades for, then perhaps your criticism of Streep is misplaced.

So you are saying that the news reports are lying that report that she was referring to Trump, and that when she mentioned mocking a disabled reporter , along with whatever else she said , she was not referring to Trump?

And who cares how talented a director he was ? Are you one of those that thinks talent in a certain area makes bad and/or criminal behavior OK ? What if Polanski was buggering little boys? Still OK to give him a standing O based on his artistic talent, and THEN those same people criticize the morals of another person, even when that person is a douche , as Trump is ?

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
...why didn't she use her platform to say anything about the handicap person who was held hostage for two days and forced to drink toilet water by 4 blacks? Why can't she use it for that?

I also don't remember her using her "star power" to talk about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOBTUCv4o0
Why don't you ask her?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So you are saying that the news reports are lying that report that she was referring to Trump, and that when she mentioned mocking a disabled reporter , along with whatever else she said , she was not referring to Trump?

And who cares how talented a director he was ? Are you one of those that thinks talent in a certain area makes bad and/or criminal behavior OK ? What if Polanski was buggering little boys? Still OK to give him a standing O based on his artistic talent, and THEN those same people criticize the morals of another person, even when that person is a douche , as Trump is ?
Hold on now.

We are dealing with the present, not something that happened 40 years ago.

If we have to go off the rails about Roman Polanski, can we hop back to the 1990s and talk about how Trump molested his business partner's wife, but was wealthier than them, so they could never afford to stick it to him in court?

Because that poor woman looks very disturbed over what happened to her and it was wayyyy more recent than Roman Polanski's crime, which his victim has LONG forgiven him for committing.

Plus... we didn't elect Polanski PRESIDENT, did we?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You know, you're right. I realized that shortly after I typed it.

He cannot return to the US. I sometimes forget that, since I was a little kid at the time and not as old as some of the posters here on this forum.

I don't agree with him having fled prison, no.

So, if he'd stayed here, gone to prison, and been released for good behavior or the like, would her standing up still have been terrible?

I mean, if he'd paid his debt to society and all that?

For all I know, he just needed mental help. His wife was murdered so brutally that people still talk about the horrors of it to this day.

I dunno... is this really even relevant to Meryl Streep's speech last night, anyway?

If she'd stood up and talked about what an great guy Trump is, would his supporters be talking about what a hell of a gal she is now?

I do not know, but I suspect so.

ETA: I gave up and Googled. He fled the US prior to sentencing because he thought he was getting probation and it looked like he might serve time. Anyway... that was a long time ago. I'm not a big fan of his either way.
When you drug and sodomize a little girl, she was 13 for goodness sake and he was 42, I'll never let it go.

I dont understand how anybody could give a standing ovation to a man who, at 42, did that to a little girl.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes actually he did. Anyone with eyes & ears that function know it to be true, it's on video for all eternity. Living in an alternate reality does not change that fact.
This. Exactly.

..........next OP will be saying Trump was never on a bus with Billy Bush.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I would be concerned if you actually believed this.
While not expressly confirming or denying the assertion, I will say that when a poorly worded turn of phrase presents an opportunity, I often find myself hard-pressed to resist the temptation for riposte.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Nope. If you pay attention you'd find he actually didn't
he did. here's the thread where we discussed it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...t-spastic.html

trump clearly stated "poor guy, you should see this guy.." before curling his hand similar to kovaleski's disability.

as for trump's claim that he's never mocked a person's handicap, when criticized by charles krauthammer trump mocked him as " a guy that can't buy pants". krauthammer is paralyzed from the waist down.

plus trump's claim that kovaleski changed his story is also false. kovaleski stands by his original story. what trump is distorting is that kovaleski cannot remember who specifically he'd talked to at the police department 15 years previously when checking a fact ( the person is not named in the original article ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies