Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Google Elvis and Cherries.

People need to accept many talented people had dark sides. Fame brings the ability to get away with things normal people go to jail for.

I come from the shut up and sing/act school of thought.
You should be embarrassed and ashamed you follow this BS! People who love gossip trip me out, not in a good way! Ugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
can we hop back to the 1990s and talk about how Trump molested his business partner's wife, but was wealthier than them, so they could never afford to stick it to him in court?

Because that poor woman looks very disturbed over what happened to her and it was wayyyy more recent than Roman Polanski's crime, which his victim has LONG forgiven him for committing.
Sure we can.

If I remember correct from reading about this a couple months ago, here is what happened.

Trump sexually assaulted her. She began to date him. He dumped her for Marla Maples. She sued him for sexual assault. She lost the case.

Did I get that right? If not, what did I miss?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Of course not.

But, if he was involved in this decades ago and never formally charged, I suppose I'd have to decide whether or not I wanted to stand up for his body of work or sit down and protest.

Not sure which way I'd go. The 13yo he raped has long since forgiven him and has asked the public to do the same. Perhaps that would factor into my decision? I do not know.

MANY popular rock stars of that time were having sex with underage groupies back then and people still love them. I cannot say for sure if these girls were all agreeing to all the sex acts that were performed. I was not present. I know that I'm not a Polanski fan, and this is the main reason why.

Still, her standing up one time doesn't make her speaking out about a totally separate issue wrong. Nor does it make her point invalid. Kind of like how Polanski raping a 13yo doesn't make his art any less good. Makes HIM not so good a guy, though.

Like Michael Vick. Dogfighting is terrible. Doesn't mean his whole career is bad, does it?

Trump is a whiny, narcissistic jerk. Doesn't mean all that he does is bad, either.

I live in a world where there's room to interpret such things on a case-by-case basis, you see.

Sorry dude, but taking offense at one persons morals while you applaud a guy who did worse is hypocrisy , pure and simple . And I am not a Trump supporter . I railed against him, and think all these saps defending his words as just bragging are idiots . But I don't give Streep any slack either . She wasn't offended by a child rapist. So her words on Trump are hollow and hypocritical .

Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
She's afraid she's going to lose her maids and will have to make her own salad.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Hold on now.

We are dealing with the present, not something that happened 40 years ago.

If we have to go off the rails about Roman Polanski, can we hop back to the 1990s and talk about how Trump molested his business partner's wife, but was wealthier than them, so they could never afford to stick it to him in court?

Because that poor woman looks very disturbed over what happened to her and it was wayyyy more recent than Roman Polanski's crime, which his victim has LONG forgiven him for committing.

Plus... we didn't elect Polanski PRESIDENT, did we?

I have no trouble going back and talking about anything heinous that Trump or anyone else did . I think Trump is a class A ******* that didn't deserve to be POTUS . But the issue isn't Trump, but Streeps hypocrisy .

Old 01-09-2017, 01:52 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many Meryl Streep threads do we need, were the last 5 not enough.
Trump's followers need to make sure we understand just how little they care.

It's the same reason I post all that stuff in the sports forums - it's important that everybody understands just how irrelevant I find spectator sports, and how can I convince them if I don't post?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I can't believe you trust your eyes and ears over what Trump said actually happened.
You're behind the curve. His spokesperson has now moved to insisting that we not listen to what Trump says, but look at what is in his heart. (I am not making this up.)

Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're behind the curve. His spokesperson has now moved to insisting that we not listen to what Trump says, but look at what is in his heart. (I am not making this up.)
Hahaha, holy crap! That is simply precious.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if a 30-year-old man gets a 13-year-or girl drunk and has sex with her, it's ok if she later says she is ok with it?

Is your age cut off for this 13, or would it still be ok if she was 10?
As I've already said, I think Roman Polanski the person is a douche.

At the same time, I don't understand why his victim is so pro-Polanski, but she is.

As a woman who has been raped, the rest of your post is offensive. Nothing that I've said excuses Mr Polanski, who has a history of sex with young girls. You don't seem able to actually debate, but rather your modus operandi seems to be character assassination. If the facts don't support your position, perhaps you should reconsider your position.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
I hear the movie that won best picture was called LaLaLand.

How appropriate.

Those Hollywood fools live in their own little lalaland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies