Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Did you believe the evening news when they all were saying that Hillary had it in the bag also?

I didn't vote for Trump but when does one stop believing the evening news? This is a separate issue from Trump. The news has no credibility left.

The reason you think that the news media has no credibility left is because that's what Trump told you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Did you believe the evening news when they all were saying that Hillary had it in the bag also?

I didn't vote for Trump but when does one stop believing the evening news? This is a separate issue from Trump. The news has no credibility left.
I said this evening's news, not the evening news, to quibble a fine point.

Agreed, though.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
OMG! 86 pages on Meryl Streep.

Flag on the play!

Don't get carried away. Here on CD we have a 245 page thread called "What's for Breakfast." Last entry is "huevos rancheros."

Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What is there to get over? I said she has a right to say whatever she wants, and people here have a right to call her an idiot. I dont have a problem with any of it, so I dont have anything to "get over". It seems like you are the one who would like to silence people's first amendment rights, seeing as how you want me to "get over it" rather than express my opinion.

So here is more of my opinion, you dont have to be particularly smart to be a successful actor/actress. You need talent, or a certain "look", and a smart person to manage your career. I have had discussions with many famous people over my lifetime. Some of them have a keen insight, and some of them really dont, just like in the general population. So she has a platform. Good for her. Let her try to use it to push her agenda all she wants. And let people criticize her for it all they want. There is no reason for anyone to "get over" anything.
Lol, what agenda exactly? Like I said, she can speak her mind, get over it.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You may be partially right as many of these movies at some point are so outdated that hardly anyone wants to see them either. Except from Sophie's Choice these movies are not a Gone with the Wind type of movie that last almost forever.

There are movies that don't last like that and I agree that not many will watch old Apprentice episodes but keep in mind Trump is the President and that will last in history while Meryl Strep will be one of the actors in a list of thousand others where in maybe a decade the young people don't even know who she is.

President Trump will be the 45th President that people in history will remember forever!

They remembered Hitler too. Personally if I was a fan of Meryl (I'm not really but I did like Devil Wears Prada) I'd rather her be forgotten by the mass than have a legacy of being a terrible person.
In fact many celebs I admired faded away but they are still known because I and other loyal "followers" remember them so when people look back at Meryl she will be remembered more in a fond way.

Also some of the celebs that I have liked faded away but then came back. Even though Meryl is older she could still make a new movie that future generations like.

I'm pretty sure Peter Cook and Dudley Moore are still remembered by people even though they didn't make a Gone With the Wind type movie.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, what agenda exactly? Like I said, she can speak her mind, get over it.
Like I said, she can speak her mind, but she's an idiot, get over it. Lol.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I think it matter less who said it than that it needed to be said. Furthermore, it needs to be repeated again and again and again until it sinks in. In the same way that I have an obligation to my children, my spouse, and my community to conduct myself in an honorable way, so too do our elected leaders have an obligation to reflect the honor and dignity of the positions they hold. Meryl Streep is not an idiot for asking all of us to remember this. Respect for others is not a partisan issue; it's a human issue.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
I liked her speach. I glad she said what she said because it is the truth.
When you have someone in the highest position in a country behaving like a low class school yard bully... it is disgraceful and makes the whole country look bad.

I think people working in roles such as famous actors, actresses and muscians that have a global plat forum to speak out about the horrible shameful behaviour of Trump need to continue to do so and call him out publically so the rest of the world does not think his attitude and behaviour reflects what being American is all about because if it does it is a very ugly picture.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I wonder why Hollywood writers do not create more dramas that require people working on or off screen to tell the story. That might make for some fascinating films.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM

207 posts, read 507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think it matter less who said it than that it needed to be said. Furthermore, it needs to be repeated again and again and again until it sinks in. In the same way that I have an obligation to my children, my spouse, and my community to conduct myself in an honorable way, so too do our elected leaders have an obligation to reflect the honor and dignity of the positions they hold.
Exactly, Hillary's proven dishonesty and corruption is why she didn't get elected. Why on earth would Hillary take a hammer to 12 cell phones, laptops, and let's not forget her secret server? She then lied about it under oath. Every citizen in this country is held to the law. Hillary Clinton is not above the law. Our corrupt government allowed this to happen, but the people delivered her justice. Please ask yourself these questions.

[/quote] Meryl Streep is not an idiot for asking all of us to remember this. Respect for others is not a partisan issue; it's a human issue.[/quote]

Actually she is an idiot, she had her moment to relish on her vast acting accomplishments while receiving a lifetime achievement award. That golden moment comes once in a lifetime for a rare few, and unfortunately she showed idiocy by talking about politics

Last edited by vesperbelle; 01-11-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies