Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I was very much in favor of his message on race. When he and his entourage came to the city where I lived they did not behave as gentlemen, so that lowered my opinion of him as a person. Still, I think his message was, and is, good.
Which message? Racial equality or reparations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
He Dems weren't exactly liberal back then... especially in the South.
I am old enough to remember Brown v Board. My home room teacher taught civics. She stood in front of the class and said she would stop teaching before she taught *******

Texas was a one party state. The only difference between conservative and liberal Democrates in Texas way back then was liberals believed minorities had a right to vote.

LBJ was right. The conservative members of the Democratic party changed to Republican with John Tower, then John Hill. The conversion was then finished. Except for Rick Perry.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Which message? Racial equality or reparations?
Fair question. Racial equality.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Yes, I am old enough, and , while I didn't have much of an opinion on King back then, I do have a lot of respect for him today. I think he was a good man.

We whites were not exactly kind to blacks back then, they were second class citizens, especially in the South. King was one of the people who tried non violent ways to get blacks the lives they should have had all along.

I think that is the problem today, there does not seem to be any one person who is seen as a MLK right now. It is either BL Matter, or other groups that do not use the same message King spoke. But I am white, so I don't know if I can even speak to what is good for blacks. Only they know what it is like to walk in their shoes.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
I was 14 and non-political.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Actually it was the democrat party and the liberals who were FOR segregation and against civil rights. It wasn't until the civil rights act was being passed that they jumped on board for the sake of saving their party's future. The republican party was born out of the abolitionist movement and Lincolin. I believe MLK himself was a republican but I could be wrong.
MLK senior was a Republican. Jr joined no party.

Also, Democrats supported civil rights long before that CRA, and even in that context, it was Democrats who putting on the floor for a vote.

People seem to forget that Democrats controlled Congress with an iron grip in those days. not a single thing could pass congress without Democratic support.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This board skews old, so some of you may remember Dr King. Conservatives love to point to MLK as the example that all black protestors should follow, but when he was alive, conservatives hated him. Those of you who actually remember the man, be honest: how did you feel about him, back then?
i revered martin luther king. in fact i took to heart one if his dreams that his children would one day be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:34 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"Older posters: Did you like/support MLK when he was alive"

I liked grape jelly on my peanut butter sandwich, I was just a kid. I vaguely remember seeing him on the news and thinking he was nice. I also vaguely remember seeing Malcolm X and thinking he wasn't so nice.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I was 19 when the freedom rider movement was in full height, so I remember King quite well.
I liked some of the things he said and did, and didn't like others. But I was also a half-continent away, so I had no involvement.

The one thing I remember most about King was his gravity.

He always spoke like he knew exactly what he was going to say, with none of the natural pauses we all use in our speech. While he would often take a second before making a reply or saying something, once he spoke, there was a very clear message and delivered with genuine moral authority.

He was often intensely personal, without spending any time defending himself. There was a solid sureness in the man that radiated from him, and he was very magnetic. Even when he spoke softly, every person quieted and listened to him, but he could also speak with a lot of power in his voice.

He never once showed any fear, even during the march to Selma, when everyone around him showed signs of tension, fear and caution. He always had remarkable self control.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I think how you viewed him depends a lot in what part of the country you lived. He was mostly accepted in the Northeast and other areas but certainly not true in the south. I don't think people generally appreciated his efforts at the time because part of his message was lost in Vietnam and the other things going on at the time. Looking back on history he was a great man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies