Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I guarantee you there's tons of cushy do nothing jobs paying 6 figures in the federal gov that can be eliminated.

Federal workers worry about their jobs under Trump

Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Ebay too.

Dumbed... I know. Grandma should have to pay 9 bucks to UPS to mail her electric bill since she cant use a computer.
Grandma's dumb grandson can set her up on an automatic draft and, DONE! I mean, really, if she's that dumb, she needs to be in assisted living where her electric bill is part of the rent.

I live in a retirement community. I honestly don't know how many people here pay their electric bill by mail, but I, personally, haven't paid a bill by mail since at least 2000. Mortgage, electric, car, all paid online. I don't have the vaguest idea how much a stamp costs these days.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Why is it good to fire federal workers but bad to eliminate factory jobs? Aren't they all jobs?
Private sector jobs are purely a benefit to the economy. Public sector jobs are more of a burden on the economy because wealth needs to be taken from the private sector to pay government workers.

The government doesn't have any money. The private sector produces the wealth, and government simply spends a lot of it.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
7.5% of Federal employees live in DC.

https://www.opm.gov/FAQs/QA.aspx?fid...2-009e0a87df06

Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
The US government went overboard with affirmative action and hired boatloads of unqualified people. Then it became impossible to fire them.

There needs to be a 100% freeze on hiring and give America time to breathe and rectify the incredible bloat.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Ebay too.

Dumbed... I know. Grandma should have to pay 9 bucks to UPS to mail her electric bill since she cant use a computer.
A stamp costs .47.

Grandma can leave outgoing mail in her mailbox.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Washington D.C's suburbs are among the wealthiest in the country. Almost every federal employee is grossly overpaid. Trump should start by freezing their pay for 4 years and making them pay more for the their medical and retirements.
Federal employees already pay a large percentage of salary for their retirement and health insurance but their salaries are high compared to the private sector. There are also over 200 federal unions, many of their representatives are funded by taxpayers, that is an area for improvement.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The US government went overboard with affirmative action and hired boatloads of unqualified people. Then it became impossible to fire them.

There needs to be a 100% freeze on hiring and give America time to breathe and rectify the incredible bloat.
That's the thing...anytime you set up government programs, government jobs, etc. they're tough to get rid of. Government doesn't like angry citizens, they like looking like they're compassionate, and they're not spending their own money.

All of that leads to bloating. Unlike a business, they can just tax people and/or print money and go further into debt to cover the costs. A business is forced to make the tough decisions or else they go out of business completely.

It's good politics to make people happy in the short term and let someone else deal with the aftermath down the road.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband was a JAG officer and now a retiree, he became a government lawyer, and is now a straight up civilian lawyer in a firm that does most of its work with corporations. He makes four times more in just salary now compared to his pay as a civil servant, let alone the difference from what he received as military pay. That does not include bonuses, which last year added up to almost as much as he received his last year in the military, and he was not low ranking. We have been utterly shocked at the difference in pay.

It is true that GS-9 and below government employees make more than their civilian counterparts but as you get into the higher ranks the government employees start making less than their civillian counterparts. Most of those "fat cats" you describe around DC would make a great deal more doing the same job in a private corporation. They choose to stay in government primarily because of job security. It is a trade-off, one generally made during boom times when everyone else is going for the higher pay in the private sector. Government secretaries, security guards, clerks, janitors, daycare workers, and other jobs with low qualifications, on the other hand, make far more than their civilian counterparts. The federal government has the lowest wage gap between the highest and lowest paid employees than probably any other employer in our nation.

How exactly is Trump going to make a huge change? He is not a dictator. As Obama discovered for different reasons, there are legal limits on what a president can do within the government paid work force. What they need to fear more is that Republican congress, which does have the powers to change laws. I wouldn't hold my breathe if you are expecting too much change or reform.

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you. I was making the case that Feds are underpaid compared to the private sector, not overpaid, despite the claims of some.

When I retired, and got hired by a private sector firm, I was making nearly double what I made in uniform. When I took the government job, I lost $25K a year in direct compensation, and a load more in indirect, but it was worth it, because I was taking care of Soldiers, and not worrying about shareholders.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
which why there should be a taxpayer appreciation day and zero military glorification days. Without our support and money you would never have acquired your specialized skill set.
You're welcome.
Yikes.

22 years in the military is HARD protecting your right to spout off.

PS thanks for the service to the service member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies