Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:44 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He was by people of color who had actually dealt with him.
Hmm. No he wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
The Trump lawsuits were about this:

"For two years Trump would be required to supply weekly lists of vacancies to the Urban League’s Open Housing Center. When vacancies opened up in buildings where fewer than 10 percent of the tenants were black or Hispanic, the center would then have three days to submit applications from minority clients who wanted those apartments. If qualified, they were to get preference...."

DOJ, HUD, and other acronym agencies are looking to boost minority numbers in whatever their cause of the day is. Again, I'm not saying Trump isn't a racist, but if the claim is going to be made, I don't think the fact that the lawsuit was settled means anything.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy190 View Post
look at his cabinet. 90 percent white and only one token black, ben carson.

i dont know if hes racist, but he seems to only want to be surrounded by white males.
One black out of ten appointees is a pretty good match to our demographic mix. Blacks are only about 13 percent of the population so one or two is all a reasonable person might expect. It only looks odd to you because you had gotten used to blacks being grossly over represented in Obama's White House.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
The Trump lawsuits were about this:

"For two years Trump would be required to supply weekly lists of vacancies to the Urban League’s Open Housing Center. When vacancies opened up in buildings where fewer than 10 percent of the tenants were black or Hispanic, the center would then have three days to submit applications from minority clients who wanted those apartments. If qualified, they were to get preference...."

DOJ, HUD, and other acronym agencies are looking to boost minority numbers in whatever their cause of the day is. Again, I'm not saying Trump isn't a racist, but if the claim is going to be made, I don't think the fact that the lawsuit was settled means anything.
NO, that is not what the lawsuits were about. That's part of the fallout of the lawsuits

Quote:
NEW YORK — When a black woman asked to rent an apartment in a Brooklyn complex managed by Donald Trump’s real estate company, she said she was told that nothing was available. A short time later, a white woman who made the same request was invited to choose between two available apartments.

The two would-be renters on that July 1972 day were actually undercover “testers” for a *government-sanctioned investigation to determine whether Trump Management Inc. discriminated against minorities seeking housing at properties across Brooklyn and Queens.

Federal investigators also gathered evidence. Trump employees had secretly marked the applications of minorities with codes, such as “No. 9” and “C” for “colored,” according to government interview accounts filed in federal court. The employees allegedly directed blacks and Puerto Ricans away from buildings with mostly white tenants, and steered them toward properties that had many minorities, the government filings alleged.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.7df4077ff6b3

I can't discuss this with you, if you're not going to be honest. I'm not trying to score points in a debate, I'm tying to have an open, honest discussion about racism as a material concern.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times
No one can speak all leftists or all rightists. There are as many opinions as to what racism is as there people that have them.

Leaving aside opinion, what is true is that racism is the modern equivalent of witchcraft. A person could be accused of witchcraft if it rained too much or too little. If pigs rooted out the potato crop. If a neighbor died after someone looked at him cross-eyed.

Racism is the same thing. You can be accused of it if you use the wrong word (black vs. African-American vs. something else), if you are white and live in a white neighborhood (but not if you are black and live in a black one), if you oppose giving whites preferential treatment (but not if you give it to blacks), if you don't surround yourself with people of other races (unless you are a person of one of those races).

Anything that you do can result in you being accused of racism. And that's why Donald Trump is accused by some of racism. Just as neighbors would in former times accuse someone they didn't like or wanted to harm of witchcraft, some are accusing Donald Trump of racism.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No one can speak all leftists or all rightists. There are as many opinions as to what racism is as there people that have them.

Leaving aside opinion, what is true is that racism is the modern equivalent of witchcraft. A person could be accused of witchcraft if it rained too much or too little. If pigs rooted out the potato crop. If a neighbor died after someone looked at him cross-eyed.

Racism is the same thing. You can be accused of it if you use the wrong word (black vs. African-American vs. something else), if you are white and live in a white neighborhood (but not if you are black and live in a black one), if you oppose giving whites preferential treatment (but not if you give it to blacks), if you don't surround yourself with people of other races (unless you are a person of one of those races).

Anything that you do can result in you being accused of racism. And that's why Donald Trump is accused by some of racism. Just as neighbors would in former times accuse someone they didn't like or wanted to harm of witchcraft, some are accusing Donald Trump of racism.
This only holds sway when you ignore actual documented history of racial discrimination, which the PEOTUS has.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I hope the mods don't consider this race-baiting, but I wanted to explain the liberal POV to the sight's resident conservatives. I will refrain from making any accusations or character judgments.

I think there is this belief that racism is a spiritual concern, akin to a religion...that one must have "hate in their heart" or "hold racist beliefs" to be racist. That's just a tiny part of the equation. In reality, racism is a matter of deeds. Whether or not Trump hates black people, Mexicans or Arabs/South Asians is irrelevant. He has actively engaged in housing discrimination, settling in TWO housing discrimination suits. He had proposed policies that negatively impact those groups for no other reason than belonging to those groups. This is an objective truth. One need not "know his heart".
ok, what did he propose to negatively impact non-white people and non-white people only? Please explain.

I don't care about what politician say (politicians all lie) or think (not always translate into action), but only what they do or intent to do.

I also don't understand why people keep saying he hates women.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
I don't think he is a racist, I think he's a NY Liberal who deals with people from all creeds all the time.

BUT he sure did secure the vote of racist people, and emboldened a lot of them to act almost silly about it.

Not saying all or even a large share of Trump's voters are racist, but he managed to get them out of the woodwork.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
why wasnt he considered 'racist' before he decided to run against Hillary?
I'm black and have always thought he was a racist.

ETA: I've worked in housing and know of his famous and not so famous housing discrimination cases of the past (older ones involving his father too). Also, I saw/heard him in various media interviews espouse racist opinions. Will further note, IMO to be a racist means someone views and speaks of/takes actions in regards to race based on the assumption that a race is inferior or superior to another. The housing cases are examples of blatant racism whereas they felt blacks and hispanics were inferior and should not be able to stay in their buildings. I won't even get into the sexist things he has said over the years, which IMO are much more numerous than the racist words/actions. I think he is a selfish, racist, sexist person. However, I'll note, at least he doesn't hide it like many past presidents did. But I would never fully support someone like that I do believe that those who did, it is a reflection on their character in that they feel that money (as most like to say they voted for him due to business or jobs or something) is more important than someone being a racist, sexist, selfish, and I'll say petty person. I don't feel that I can't make money or can't get a job (not one of these "snowflakes" I guess) so I don't place money as a priority in my life when it comes to ethics and moral character and especially in treating others how I would like to be treated.

On the comment above, I'll further note that I don't think many people knew/know anything about Trump other than the Apprentice and his name is on buildings. So they know a scripted TV persona.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Donald Trump is considered a racist because he is not a PROG. There is no other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies